Was I Overcharged? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Was I Overcharged?
Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:41 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: 2008 BF MKII SR

QLD, Australia

I'm hoping someone who is in the industry might be able to advise if I was overcharged for the following work:

- Remove injectors and have serviced - all 6 were good to poor in flow rate - after service all are excellent.
- Replace inlet manifold gasket.
- Refit injectors.
- Replace fuel filter (when injectors are serviced, we must replace fuel filter for warranty.)

TOTAL (inc. GST): $399.05

* Car is a 1998 EL Fairmont Ghia sedan.

Post subject: Re: Was I Overcharged?
Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

I'd say thats pretty fair. If you were to DIY it, you'd be looking at 200 for parts there, it would probably taken near 2 hours to replace the injectors, filter and gasket as the BBM is a b**ch to remove while in the engine bay.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

EL-FAIRMONT-GHIA wrote:
I'm hoping someone who is in the industry might be able to advise if I was overcharged for the following work:

- Remove injectors and have serviced - all 6 were good to poor in flow rate - after service all are excellent.
- Refit injectors.
- Replace fuel filter (when injectors are serviced, we must replace fuel filter for warranty.)

I am no expert but sounds about right. cause generally injector service is around the 100 dollar mark (well last time I looked into it), manifold gasket around 19 dollars etc, fuel filter is depends what brand around the 10 to 20 dollars sometimes cheaper, and the rest would be labour, considering most labour (in my experiance ) is charged around the 30 to 55 dollar mark.

and minus gst (which would have been around the 36ish dollar mark) SO I think you were charged appropriately

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

I think I'm just p****d off because my Dad and his girlfriend own and operate the mechanic business. I was hoping for some sort of discount. Oh well I'll get over it :-)

Thanks guys.

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Yeh, I think I'd be a little annoyed if I didnt get a discount.. He cant really cut any out of labour as he still needs to pay the bills and his mech's, and theres only the filter and gasket he could of charged you at purchase price, which would only save you a couple of dollars....

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
Yeh, I think I'd be a little annoyed if I didnt get a discount.. He cant really cut any out of labour as he still needs to pay the bills and his mech's, and theres only the filter and gasket he could of charged you at purchase price, which would only save you a couple of dollars....

Yeah true. I'll end my rant now, lol.

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

Mate that is an excellent price im in the trade the average price for 6 injectors rebuilt with new filter basket pintle caps and seals to suit would cost you close to $300

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

i have my doubts on the injector work.... do they have a proper machine to check the flow? Id say they replaced the o-ring & filter basket

most of the costs would be stuffin around replacing the manifold gasket, bottom bolts are a prick!!

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

I am no expert but sounds about right. cause generally injector service is around the 100 dollar mark (well last time I looked into it), manifold gasket around 19 dollars etc, fuel filter is depends what brand around the 10 to 20 dollars sometimes cheaper, and the rest would be labour, considering most labour (in my experiance ) is charged around the 30 to 55 dollar mark.

and minus gst (which would have been around the 36ish dollar mark) SO I think you were charged appropriately[/quote]

If labour was only $30/hr i wouldn't be working on my own cars, its last thing you want to be doing in your spare time when its your full time job, but least you know jobs done write when you do it yourself i guess

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:21 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

Froudey wrote:
EL-FAIRMONT-GHIA wrote:

- Refit injectors.

and minus gst (which would have been around the 36ish dollar mark) SO I think you were charged appropriately

$30-$55 an hour????
most mechanics in sydney charge around $70 an hour for labour..

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ELboy wrote:

If labour was only $30/hr i wouldn't be working on my own cars, its last thing you want to be doing in your spare time when its your full time job, but least you know jobs done write when you do it yourself i guess[/quote]

No one has been 30/hr to 55/hr for about 30 years. You'd be looking at about $85 to $100/hr.
Automotive service solutions charge $33 each for injectors. some places will do it cheaper. but not by much.

I can do an AU BBM manifold gasket in about and 1 hour 15mins,

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:45 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Hey tickford6 i know hey if a shop was charging $30/hr id be wurry of there quality of work

EF-AU manifolds are a bit of a pain but i use a tiny 1/4" ratchet on the 3 or 4 hard to get to bolts is a lot quicker then using geared spanner

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Do you think 30-$55 an hour is expensive? My mate has his own mobile bussness he is always booked out, he charges $70 call out fee witch includes first half hour labour then his hourly rate is $90

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:24 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
For 30-55 a hour, i would get them to wipe my a** in the morning if i was too stuffed to wipe my a**

errrr, never heard of overheads have we?
i highly recommend you never consider running a small business :lol:

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:45 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
i have my doubts on the injector work.... do they have a proper machine to check the flow? Id say they replaced the o-ring & filter basket

most of the costs would be stuffin around replacing the manifold gasket, bottom bolts are a prick!!

They get a mobile guy in who does injector cleaning for a living.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next