Was I ripped off? I think I was.... 

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

Rego Check $29.40 - id say normal
Engine oil $35.20 - bout right, maybe 5 bucks to much seeings as they would get trade price!
Oil Filter $14.25 - mine costs me about 7-8?
6 Spark Plugs $28.05 again, about 5 bucks to much
Fuel Filter $25.30 - cant remember mine, about 20?
Front Brake Pads $65.45 - about spot on.
Machine Discs $49.50 - say thats about right again
Diff Oil $20.35 - about right
Auto Transmission Service $165 - about right
Lube Service, renew oil and filter (labour) $93.50 - just over an hr is a long time to change oil, i can do it in that in the drive banging my head several times
Electronic Tune Up, renew fuiel filter & plugs (labour) $104.50 - 1.5 hours maybe? definatly some dodgey there, spark plugs should be 15 mins tops, fuel filter wouldnt take over 15 mins while its on the hoist again. electronic tune up? on EEC-V? dunno wtf he tuned.
Remove & replace front discs for machining, renew pads and
repack (labour) $165 - 2 hours seems pretty steep once again, but never done them myself.
Diff Service, change oil and repair leaking O ring behind water pump (labour) $99 - just over an hr again, diff would take about 20-30 mins tops.. guess the waterpump might take up the rest of that time?
1x diff gasket $6.69 - they have gasket? he open it up?

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Hey rob,

Is that they guy thats actually in the narrow bit behind the mobil? Or is this guy part of the mobil?

Have any local guys used Ron King in Penprase Lane Miranda? He's been there for donkeys years but I've never used him.....

Ta

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Would I be right in assuming this:

Maybe if it was booked in for each of those seperate jobs on seperate occasions, they wouldn't be unreasonable charges, however all together in the one job, the one bloke doing them one after the other (or maybe partly at the same time), it seems to be top dollar charging??

Its not the way to keep a customer as a regular customer thats for sure.

$901.20 later and the car actually brakes slower with more play in the pedal before it really pulls the car up, and also it seems to accelerate slower and not kick down when I plant the foot moderately like it used to although it is probably 50% smoother than it was. Seems to be a complete waste of friggin money to me. Maybe its a tad quieter too.

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: XHII pano, Landau

VIC, Australia

Call him up and tell him he can take take $50 off the next poor suckers job and youll just go elsewhere.

Seriously buy a workshop manual and service your car yourself, specially basics like oil and brakes. If you run into any problems there are always plenty of people around on the forum to give advice. Youll end up saving big in the end

Automatics only come in assult riffles
---------------------------------------
www.aussiecoupes.net

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

hey dvyvan,

Yeah you are right, I might be capable of servicing it myself, however I'd take about a week longer and can't do without the car!!!

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 Au wagon

NSW, Australia

thats the reason i buy all the parts and bits my self and just pay for labour,,the engine transplant is only going to be around the 600 mark as i'm getting the bits my self

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5 Star Boxcar

NSW, Australia

naughtyfalcon wrote:
thats the reason i buy all the parts and bits my self and just pay for labour,,the engine transplant is only going to be around the 600 mark as i'm getting the bits my self

yep thats the way to do it, i went for a rego check today, past first time thank god,last time i was running around like crazy getting this and that fixed cos i left it to the last minute. lesson learnt: always get your act together quick before rego

Kezz's 5sp Box Car ---> RPD enhanced with a bunch of other stuff

Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 Au wagon

NSW, Australia

thtas another thing i do,,is check all suspension parts before the dreaded pink slip,,last year it was the left tie rod,replaced and all fixed.

Post subject: Re: Was I ripped off? I think I was....
Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

- Rego Check $29.40 - What the hell is this????
- Engine oil $35.20 - Thats about right for 5.5l of 10w-30
- Oil Filter $14.25 - Ryco filter price
- 6 Spark Plugs $28.05 - NGK Plugs are around $4 retail
- Fuel Filter $25.30 - Ryco EFI Filter Sounds right
- Front Brake Pads $65.45 - Yeh Only if they were bendix genral ct's
- Machine Discs $49.50 - generally most places charge $20 per disc
- Diff Oil $20.35 - This sounds a bit rich as your dif only holds 1-1.5ltr
- Auto Transmission Service $165 - yeh 1.5h labour, that & 95LE isnt - cheap. If he pulled the pan off and replaced the filter then it would take about 4 - 4.5ltr
- Lube Service, renew oil and filter (labour) $93.50 -Yeh about 2h for a major service
- Electronic Tune Up, renew fuiel filter & plugs (labour) $104.50 - this is s**t as it should have been included in the above service price
- Remove & replace front discs for machining, renew pads and
repack (labour) $165 - We charge 1h labour plus $20 per disc add another hour if we replace and re-pack front bearings
- Diff Service, change oil and repair leaking O ring behind water pump (labour) $99
- 1x diff gasket $6.69 - very rarely does the gasket get changed, unless of course it was rooted.

Most of the stuff seems legit but but F**k $165 to remove and machine 2 discs :S this is way to steep

I was under the impression that there are no serviceable parts in these water pumps and because they are so cheap you just replace them.

2h to replace 6 s/plugs and a fuel filter. dodgy as.

Just out of curiosity but did they repace the air filter.

you havnt told me what they charge per hour for labour so im going to assume that its $50p/h.

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: 80 series cruiser

NSW, Australia

falconboy wrote:
Hey rob,

Is that they guy thats actually in the narrow bit behind the mobil? Or is this guy part of the mobil?

Ta

yeah thats him in the narrow driveway leading down the side of the mobil.
like i said i havent been there in a few years but he always did good work before.

Thanks to Crescent Motors, Liverpool.
Call Joe on (02) 9600 6229.

I dont own a Landcruiser, it's a Maverick recovery vehicle!!!!

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

parts prices seem alright.
but i'd definately be finding a mechanic whose labour chargers are lower - either that bloke is incompitent and takes for every didly dadling to do anything or he charges a s**t load per hour or what ever he charges by. i changed moms oil, oil filter, sparkies and air filter in under an hour on the weekend - with the car just in the drive.
as for the pads digging into the discs, depends which ones you use, can get soft and hard ones, at the $65.00 price range your looking at probably something like Ferrodo Targets, Ferrodo Excels or Bendix General CT's, which are all pretty soft and the discs shouldn't need machnining from them. Also some places machine the discs on the cars, so someone on here told me, which might lower the cost as don't have to pay labour to remove them! also machnining thins your discs means sooner till you need to replace them - my mom's EBII Fairy has done 260,000km's - my parents owned it pretty much all it's life and never had to replace or machne the front discs and there still fine when I replaced the front pads not so long ago. admitadely we do run some fairly soft pads...

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
my mom's EBII Fairy has done 260,000km's - my parents owned it pretty much all it's life and never had to replace or machne the front discs and there still fine when I replaced the front pads not so long ago. admitadely we do run some fairly soft pads...

260,000 and the discs have never been changed. what are you brake pads made of butter??? :?

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2