wat exhaust system ?? 

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AUII Ghia 75th LE, KF 1.8S 5spd

VIC, Australia

Tropicsnude XR6 wrote:
Did a lot of research myself on this subject and yesterday had fitted a complete Defilippo 2 1/2 inch system, with extractors, hi flow cat and mufflers.
No drone at all, but a nice new meaty sound :lol:
Was going to also put a custom Capa Flash Tune in at same time, but SVS had a software glitch with car being so new, so going back on Monday to do :)
Showed 161.4 rwkw on dyno run, after exhaust, so can't wait for final result with capa tune. 8-)
Complete system was $1699 fitted, and when you consider we're 4000 km's from Melbourne, so freight is a big deal, I think this was a great deal especially when SVS (guys doing the work in Cairns) are so knowledgeable and helpful. :D
Looks good, sounds great, and a very noticeable difference in drive feel. I'm happy :!:
Tony

hey are the extractors equal length.they look like it but i thought i would still ask.they look bloody good.

THE Fairmont Ghia : 75th Anniversary LE
Current Mods - 2.5" Exhaust, Custom CAI, Built Gearbox( Mirror Polished Casing+Bellhousing,TCE 2500 custom convertor, Modified Valve Body), Detailed UnderCarriage, SQ Stereo Install = 136+rwkw
http://www.aufalcon.com.au/sikford

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

VIC, Australia

so what do u guys think of the hi flow cat u can buy on egay for 140 stainless polished flow rates better then standard etc better thhen paying 250-350 from an exhaust shop way i see it if u got 200,000+ click your cats gonna be fairly packed up with s**t so it has to make a marginal difference dont it

EL Fairmont - GT steering wheel -3.45 lsd - superlows - white line sway bars - xr kit - au11 xr8 engine - 3500 convertor -BA XR8 leather interior - ltd woodgrain - di filippo extractors - trick flow track heat manifold - tfs1 camshaft - twin 2.5 inch system venom cats hooker mufflers - 187rwk

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA 3v ute

VIC, Australia

Love the DiFilippo exhaust, good to see Tropicsnude XR6 with one on :) They have a great sound to em, better than the paccie/lukey combo in my opinion

www.bseries.com.au/punktured

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

stoj79 wrote:
so what do u guys think of the hi flow cat u can buy on egay for 140 stainless polished flow rates better then standard etc better thhen paying 250-350 from an exhaust shop way i see it if u got 200,000+ click your cats gonna be fairly packed up with s**t so it has to make a marginal difference dont it

details?

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:12 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: XR6 AUTOBOT

Oustide Australia

Soulfire wrote:
Argh, what is it with people and these high flow cats.
WASTE OF MONEY.
If you wanna change your cat and feel good about it get a stock AU cat fro like 80 bucks from a wrecker.
I agree with ya, most of these high flow cats flows less because it affects gas velocity. more suited for higher performance vehicle.

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

highflow cats do work!!!!! please dont post responces if you dont know facts. there is a gain to be made with a highflow cat, depending on the condition of your current cat you can gain 2-3rwkw on a stock setup. how ever after say 150rwkw a highflow cat is necessary.

the question you need to ask your self is would you be willing to spend $300 for 2-3rwkw???

falcongli6 if i were you ild get pacemaker 4480(compition) extractors, with a redback/luckey exhaust...(note their practicly the same apart from the mufflers which you wont have).
if you add a hotdog it wont make it any louder or quieter but it will give a deeper note.
in my opinion either get a straight throu pipe or if you want a deeper note then add a hotdog ar the rear

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

hotdogs do make it quieter. deeper maybe, but definitely quieter.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Yeah when i was getting my exhaust built we tested a few resonators and the hotdog on the end of mine made it deeper an more quiet.

Also i got my High-flow cat put on afta my exhaust done, didn't notice any power gain, maybe a little up top. It made the exhaust bloody loud though

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

krisisdog wrote:

i had paceiz, and a 2.5 cat back redback with one muffler and a hot dog.
i wanted a buit louder so i took off the hotdog, louder??? no.. diffrent sound?? definatly

then we put it back on cause it sounded like less grunt without it and we removed the first muffler. then its got stupidly loud and out it back on.
we wasted a day for nothin cutting and weilding and ending up with the same setup as we origionaly had

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

IMHO hi flow cats are a waste of money, unless you have heavy head work and a 3 inch exhaust. the flow rate between a 2.25 and a 2.5 inch cat on a 2.5 inch system is non existant. The 2.5 has more volume, but the 2.25 has better velocity (since the gass is slightly compressed, which then in turn expands upon exiting the cat into the 2.5 inch exhaust thus increasing the speed of the flow) so the CFM per minute is actually roughly the same give or take with conditions.

The 2.25 also gives a better torque curve lower down and mid range due to slightly higher back pressure.

Id never fit a high flow cat to my system, its a scam perpetuated by exhaust shops that you "need" one. its an extra hundered bucks for them at the end of the day. easy money.

I like your facts there mate.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 2003 BA XT

Power: 141 rwkw

WA, Australia

That may be true for e-series, but it doesn't apply for B series to anyone that is reading.

It has been proven a couple times on the dyno, as well as flow rate comparison, and it has shown to be hugely beneficial to run high flow cats.

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

4dlvr wrote:
krisisdog wrote:

i had paceiz, and a 2.5 cat back redback with one muffler and a hot dog.
i wanted a buit louder so i took off the hotdog, louder??? no.. diffrent sound?? definatly

then we put it back on cause it sounded like less grunt without it and we removed the first muffler. then its got stupidly loud and out it back on.
we wasted a day for nothin cutting and weilding and ending up with the same setup as we origionaly had

Should have changed your muffler to a Lukey. Problem would have been solved.
As a direct comparison my mates EB runs a 2.5" Mercury/Redback, 1 muffler+res, with Genie extractors. Mine has a 2.5" Lukey, 1 muffler, Pacie copy extractors.
On idle mines deeper and louder, all the way to redline territory, mines louder and deeper, with a far better note, and a much nastier bark.

As for high flow cats, apparently Commo V8 ones are cheap and flow better than the stock eseries cat. I asked to have 2.5" pipe and flanges added to my cat to match the exhaust and extractor flanges.
Check under it a few days later, and its still 2.25". Not happy.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
4dlvr wrote:
krisisdog wrote:

I asked to have 2.5" pipe and flanges added to my cat to match the exhaust and extractor flanges.
Check under it a few days later, and its still 2.25". Not happy.

Don't ya love that, ask & pay for something, and don't get it.....fknasles

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yeh I'm not going back to them.
Pretty sure I paid for it too. They charged $270 to fit extractors and a new tip($50+$30 or so to fit), and the 2.5" cat piping, which wasnt done. Pretty sure it shouldnt cost almost 200 to fit extractors. mmm

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

I suppose I'm lucky, I can do my own mechanical stuff, have the gear and the place to do it. It only costs me to buy the stuff/parts.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next