Fordmods Logo

Water coming from an BA XT exhaust? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Water coming from an BA XT exhaust?
Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:34 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: Ford Falcon FG F6

WA, Australia

Hey guys my father in-law has a 03 BA XT dedicated gas and for some reason its spitting out water from the exahust.

He just got back from a 5 week trip and drove his car to work. He said while on the freeway the temp guage was in the red and it was showing a red hand in the dash so then he had to stop the car. RAC assistance came out and said that it is likely the head gasket has blown. But while the RAC was checking the car he had noticed that the water hose had broken off "I believe it was the gas converter next to the extractors". The RAC reattached the pipe re-filled the car with water and went off.

Father in-law said he started the car and everything went fine. Car didnt over heat or nothing he said he drove it for about 20mins at normal speeds.

The only thing is that water is still spitting out of the exhaust at idle and revving but is still very drivable. Any Idea? would it be the head gasket, thermostat or gas converter?

Thanks for any help!

08 FG F6 #326. 4" Xforce exhaust turbo back with mid muffler delete, 1000cc injectors, 20% Underdrives, Stage 2 intercooler and piping, Stage 2 gear box, Upgraded flex plate, upgraded transcooler, upgraded fuel pump, Streetfighter air intake, cooler thermostate, SCT tune at 20psi at 406rwkw

Post subject: Re: Water coming from an BA XT exhaust?
Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:43 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: FB wagon

SA, Australia

The factory gas converters on the dedicated gas falcons are bad for cracking on the inside and allowing water to be sucked into the intake manifold. We sell a lot to taxi drivers for that reason.

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:25 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BA XLS Ute

VIC, Australia

Hey mate,

I'd say if its running like normal, then it could just be coincidence and that the water you’re seeing from the exhaust is just condensation, gas cars seem to do it worse than petrol (sure someone on here can tell you why). Has the weather been humid where he lives? I used to have a Mazda bravo on gas and it would be like a running tap on humid and cold days, but usually once everything was up to running temp and hot it would stop. It’s pretty normal and doesn’t do any damage, other than rust the fuk out of the exhaust!
Guess if it continues to do it even when hot and at speed (not sure how you check that) then it may be worth further investigation….

Cheers Paul.

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:30 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BA XLS Ute

VIC, Australia

Oh and If i left it idling in the drive or when i ran into a shop etc. It would leave rust water puddles…

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:36 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

BAXLS03 wrote:
Hey mate,

I'd say if its running like normal, then it could just be coincidence and that the water you’re seeing from the exhaust is just condensation, gas cars seem to do it worse than petrol (sure someone on here can tell you why). Has the weather been humid where he lives? I used to have a Mazda bravo on gas and it would be like a running tap on humid and cold days, but usually once everything was up to running temp and hot it would stop. It’s pretty normal and doesn’t do any damage, other than rust the fuk out of the exhaust!
Guess if it continues to do it even when hot and at speed (not sure how you check that) then it may be worth further investigation….

Cheers Paul.

If it's a dedicated gas car and has been tuned for it, there shouldn't be too much more water compared to unleaded fuel. Dual fuel cars can produce more water vapour when run on gas due to the tune. If the there is a lack of oxygen during combustion of LPG, it will cause an incomplete combustion producing more water than it should while at the same time produce higher CO and CO2 levels. This is assuming LPG contains a majority of propane.

Also LPG has a lower energy density compared to unleaded...which means more LPG combustion for the same amount of energy produced by less unleaded fuel. Hence you see a higher fuel consumption on LPG cars, more so on dual fuel cars.

I could be wrong, but from what I have read up on, it seems to makes in theoretical terms. I'll let the more experienced people in the real world out there to correct me if I'm wrong :).

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:56 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: Ford Falcon FG F6

WA, Australia

So we took it to the RAC and what do ya know nothing is apparently wrong with it. The water hose wasn't connected properly to the gas converter and when my father in-law was driving the car is popped off. So what the RAC did was run it through a diagnostic test everything was fine. The guy says that gas cars usually have more water come out than petrol cars. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

08 FG F6 #326. 4" Xforce exhaust turbo back with mid muffler delete, 1000cc injectors, 20% Underdrives, Stage 2 intercooler and piping, Stage 2 gear box, Upgraded flex plate, upgraded transcooler, upgraded fuel pump, Streetfighter air intake, cooler thermostate, SCT tune at 20psi at 406rwkw

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]