Fordmods Logo

Water from exhaust?? 

 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

 
 Post subject: Water from exhaust??
Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 33

Posts: 648

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

Location: Geelong
VIC, Australia

ok,

this afternoon i started up the fairmont let it idle for a few minutes then gave it a few small revs for no reason really, then when i walked to the back of the car to retrive my ciggys i noticed a bit of brown/rust coloured water that had come out of the exhaust! :shock:

wtf does this mean? blown gasket or somthing else?!

advice much appreciated!

thanx

 

_________________

"In the absence of orders find something and kill it."

Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 873

Joined: 9th May 2005

Ride: BA XR6T

i dont think its anything to worry about, as the burning of fuel in excess oxygen produces carbon dioxide and water.

 

_________________

300+rwkw HeadsexTuned XR6 Turbo Ute *NOW SOLD :(*
MK Triton with 31" muddies, 2" lift and 3" turbo back exhaust etc...

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 2282

Joined: 14th Jan 2005

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

its probably just condensation, start to worry when its blowing a s**t of white smoke

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 1008

Joined: 21st Dec 2004

Ride: ED V8

Location: driving under the sun........now!
WA, Australia

Nothing to worry about. It is jsut condensation collecting in the exhaust.

If you had a head gasket problem that was causing this, the car would run like and absolute bucket of s**t for about 30 seconds.

once the entire exhaust system heats up the water will boil off and you will have nothing to worry about. It's especially common in cars that only ever get driven on short trips where there is little to no heat buildup!

 

_________________

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 33

Posts: 648

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

Location: Geelong
VIC, Australia

ahh cool thanx guys ill be able to sleep 2nite! hah

 

_________________

"In the absence of orders find something and kill it."

Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 54

Posts: 744

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

Your engine is leaking or having a leak !!

 

_________________

I post here cos the russian tank driver doesn't

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:13 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 3772

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

falcons seem to have a lot of water in the exhausts explains why they rust out so often
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:12 am 
Fordmods Addict
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 7958

Joined: 1st Jun 2005

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

I think the from memory the cat creates water/steam.
Reaction with a gas in the exhaust gases to minimise emissions.

 

_________________

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 33

Posts: 648

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

Location: Geelong
VIC, Australia

Well there ya go

 

_________________

"In the absence of orders find something and kill it."

Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 1372

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: Lancer Coupe

Location: Southeastern suburbs, Melbourne
VIC, Australia

also from when you haven't drivne your car in a whiler it does it.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 566

Joined: 4th Jul 2005

Ride: VT Calais 5L

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

take it down to your mechanic, don't listen to these people i had the same thing as you and no white smoke or any smoke for that matter was comming out, then a few days later goodbye gasket, it has now cost me 2k to get it all fixed, all because i thought it was nothing as well. best advice is get it checked out or end up with a engine full of water.

btw mine wasn't reading hot either everything was normal then bam it all hit.

 

_________________

Cars: EB Fairmont 5spd 3.9L**sold**
VT Calais 98' 195i V8 - lux n power in 1

Bikes: 05 Honda CR250R

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 54

Posts: 4102

Joined: 18th Nov 2004

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

Location: Carrum Downs
VIC, Australia

Heeno wrote:
take it down to your mechanic, don't listen to these people i had the same thing as you and no white smoke or any smoke for that matter was comming out, then a few days later goodbye gasket, it has now cost me 2k to get it all fixed, all because i thought it was nothing as well. best advice is get it checked out or end up with a engine full of water.

btw mine wasn't reading hot either everything was normal then bam it all hit.


You could be right, but then you would have been using water also.
Every car will put water out the exhaust when started if its been sitting cold for a few hours. So if he isn't loosing coolant and it only happened after startup why put him in a panic.

 

_________________

Image
She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 566

Joined: 4th Jul 2005

Ride: VT Calais 5L

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

madmax wrote:
Heeno wrote:
take it down to your mechanic, don't listen to these people i had the same thing as you and no white smoke or any smoke for that matter was comming out, then a few days later goodbye gasket, it has now cost me 2k to get it all fixed, all because i thought it was nothing as well. best advice is get it checked out or end up with a engine full of water.

btw mine wasn't reading hot either everything was normal then bam it all hit.


You could be right, but then you would have been using water also.
Every car will put water out the exhaust when started if its been sitting cold for a few hours. So if he isn't loosing coolant and it only happened after startup why put him in a panic.


because mine was exactly the same, i looked past the water didn't think anthing of it the half way to gatton i run out of water and end up with a rooted gasket, an hour before that everything was fine. so thats why im saying don't take any chances, also water comming out the exhaust is the first sign of a f**k gasket so it pays to get it checked out just to be sure, its better then paying a couple of grand dont you think?

 

_________________

Cars: EB Fairmont 5spd 3.9L**sold**
VT Calais 98' 195i V8 - lux n power in 1

Bikes: 05 Honda CR250R

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:26 pm 
Fordmods Addict
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 7958

Joined: 1st Jun 2005

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Yes, but if it's water leaking from the head, then it has to COME from somewhere!
If his coolant level isn't dropping, then it's not a head gasket. Simple.

 

_________________

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 566

Joined: 4th Jul 2005

Ride: VT Calais 5L

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
Yes, but if it's water leaking from the head, then it has to COME from somewhere!
If his coolant level isn't dropping, then it's not a head gasket. Simple.


we don't know if he's pissin through water/coolent yet though, he hasn't stated that yet.
more info please timmy.

im not saying your wrong and im right im just suggesting he goes to see a mech just to be sure thats all.

 

_________________

Cars: EB Fairmont 5spd 3.9L**sold**
VT Calais 98' 195i V8 - lux n power in 1

Bikes: 05 Honda CR250R

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:02 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names