Fordmods Logo

Water out exhaust? gasket problem... 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Water out exhaust? gasket problem...
Posted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:51 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EF Fairmont, manual

SA, Australia

Hi guys i have a ef xr6 that since i have purchased it has run about 3 quaters on the temp gauge, lately i have noticed that when i start it the ground near the exhaust has black water on it (dump tip), cars also becomes a bit smokey apon first start, also have very very noisy lifters that dont go away and tick louder when driving... Is it time for a new head gasket? car has 207xxxkms and has had a hard life from a young tool.

Post subject: Re: Water out exhaust? gasket problem...
Posted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:04 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

DERTY wrote:
Hi guys i have a ef xr6 that since i have purchased it has run about 3 quaters on the temp gauge, lately i have noticed that when i start it the ground near the exhaust has black water on it (dump tip), cars also becomes a bit smokey apon first start, also have very very noisy lifters that dont go away and tick louder when driving... Is it time for a new head gasket? car has 207xxxkms and has had a hard life from a young tool.

The water you see is just condensation being pushed out due to an accumulation of water vapour overnight. The white smoke you see is just the excess water being steamed out.

Also by 3/4 on the gauge, you mean 3/4 high? so further towards the left side? If so, you might need to get your cooling system checked. It might be blocked some where causing poor cooling of the engine. This can cause a head gasket failure if you let it run too hot over a longer period of time.

Ticking noise, change the oil and oil filter and see how that goes. If that fails, I'd say pull the rocker covers off and have a geezer if anything is out of place.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:24 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EF Fairmont, manual

SA, Australia

phongus wrote:
DERTY wrote:

The water you see is just condensation being pushed out due to an accumulation of water vapour overnight. The white smoke you see is just the excess water being steamed out.

Also by 3/4 on the gauge, you mean 3/4 high? so further towards the left side? If so, you might need to get your cooling system checked. It might be blocked some where causing poor cooling of the engine. This can cause a head gasket failure if you let it run too hot over a longer period of time.

Ticking noise, change the oil and oil filter and see how that goes. If that fails, I'd say pull the rocker covers off and have a geezer if anything is out of place.

Thanks for the reply, the water comes out after the car was sitting for 15 mins after a 1 hour drive... and i mean alot of smoke comes out in the morning after first start.drive, also the cooland smells like its "off" has a really bad smell to it.

Posted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:36 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Sound like the headgasket is gone. Usually happens around the 180,000 to 220,000 km mark. Use an AU headgasket when you get it done.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]