Water Pump Replacement 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Water Pump Replacement
Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford Falcon AU 2000 Series II

QLD, Australia

Hello,

I'm about to change the water pump over on the Falcon AUII and would like to know if its straight forward or is it tricky?

My current water pump has a corroded pipe (water drips onto the alternator) and the radiator hose is new and cannot be tighten further.

I've invested in a "Protex" brand water pump.

I've noticed there is a threaded section at the back of the water pump for a heater hose or similar connects to.

I cannot find any threaded nut on the existing heater hose connecting to the rear of the water pump but the connecting hose does look like it's held fast by some type of epoxy.

If there is no threaded nut to join the heater pipe to the water pump, does that mean I need to purchase a heater hose with a special fitting?

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Water Pump Replacement
Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

If we are talking 6 cylinder falcon's, the EF thru to AU run the same water pump, the metal coolant bypass pipe that runs coolant to the heater fits in the back of the pump, with a rubber o ring. I don't remember there being any threaded holes or bolts, etc that hold it in, just a rubber o ring that you fit to the pipe before you install the pump on the engine.

What's the part number of the water pump? You sure it's the correct one? I know the repco part number is WP3079prp.

Water pump replacement on the falcon engine is fairly straight forward.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:22 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Expanding on Jay's response...

That metal heater pipe does only push in... There is no thread at all on 6cyl pumps... If you are seeing a thread than you have the wrong unit...

You will need to replace that o ring on the heater pipe because it'll shagged... So make sure you have one of those...

Before you fit the pump soak it in a sink of water to soften the fibre gasket between the pump and metal plate (gasket wont come off, so soak the whole base of the pump)... This ensures the fibre gasket will seal... Soak the other gasket as well...

AU's had a recall on those heaterpipe connections because after the ED when the pump pulley changed, the hole size for that O ring changed too... They made the hole bigger and left the O ring and pipe the same... It was common for EF onward vehicles to leak so Ford's answer to this was a spacer of sorts... It tapped into the end of the heater pipe that fits into the pump... Right in til it seats against it's sleeve... This sleeve was a nice fit inside the pump and stopped the bolt that holds the pipe against the block from pulling the pipe too close and causing the water to seep past the other side of the O ring...

I'd source one of these if you can find on too...

When I fitted BBM ot my ED I thought it was the BBM series heater pipe which was the issue... Turns out when I tapped the spacer into the heater pipe that it wouldn't fitted in the ED pump... So then I drew the conclusion that the OD of the hole in the pump must of changed... I pulled the spacer back out and took it back to Ford...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Hello ToranaGuy and TimmyA,

I had another look at the replacement water pump, it's called "Protex" Australian Owned???

PWP3079WP is writen above the barcode label. There's no country of Manufacturer written anywhere on the box or on the unit. This unit was purchased from SuperCheap Autos.

This unit comes with a fiberous gasket as well as steel gasket located before the impeller as well as a seperate gasket fiberous gasket and black "O" ring.

On a closer inspection of the hole at the back where the pipe fits, you are correct, it is not threaded, but it appeared to be at first glance. It does have a shiny thread like appearance but that could be attributed from the machining process.

TimmyA,

When you said "soak the unit in water". are you talking about the new pump prior to installation?

Cold water or hot water ? How long to soak?

I'll take a photo of it and post if I can get an undistorted image.

Cheers. Bondy99

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

Hi, I took some photos when I changed my water pump (the first time). You can find them here. I won't be exactly the same, as my car is an EB but basically should be the same.

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:28 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Hey man...

What you described is right... There is the gasket fitted between the housing and the steel plate which cannot come off so just stand the pump up on the impeller so as to submerge that gasket... Stick the other one in the tub as well...

If you put them in the sink before you start pulling the car apart by the time you get the old pump off and the surface cleaned the gasket will have softened... I don't remember using hot water... I can't imagine luke warm water would do any damage though...

I'd still hit Ford up and see if you can still get that spacer... And you'll need the right sized O ring to replace the one on the pipe with... I put a bit of thread/gasket sealant on that O ring too when I did mine...

Can't remember whether the bolts go through into water or oil galleries either... But may pay to put some thread sealant under the head of the bolts where they pull up to the pump housing to prevent anything escaping out (One or two may also hold the timing cover on and hence go through into oil)...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Yep, some of the water pump bolts go into the water...so you will need to put sealant on them threads.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Thanks for your advice TimmyA, cjh and evxr6

What would be a good sealant to use for this?

Namebrand ?

TimmyA,

Don't suppose you wrote down the part number on that spacer you got from Ford?

Cheers.

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:23 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

No worries... We use Nissan Threebond... But not sure where you buy it or if you can buy it for that matter... Generally the old man has some leftover at work and it migrates here... We use stuff all so a half tube last forever... It's a grey stuff...

Na mate... No idea... Ford should be able to help you... It was a recall part... If you give them that info Microcat should show the part you are chasing...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

TimmyA

Thanks mate,

I'll make enquiries with Ford in Brisbane.

Cheers

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Hello again,

I spoke with Ford and gave them my VIN and was informed my vehicle was recalled some time ago and a spacer was fitted on the hose going to the water pump.

Is that hose easy to disengage from the water pump?

It looks like its not been disturbed for a long time.

I cant find or source the Nissan threebond that TimmyA refers to. Is there any other sealant I could use for the pipe that slides into the rear of water pump?

How long does it need set prior to refliing with coolant and operating engine?

This is my first water pump replacement (coolant dripping onto alternator)

Any further info will be appreciated.

Cheers, Peter

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Bump, still require additional info as further post

Thanks

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TimmyA wrote:
No worries... We use Nissan Threebond... But not sure where you buy it or if you can buy it for that matter... Generally the old man has some leftover at work and it migrates here... We use stuff all so a half tube last forever... It's a grey stuff...

Na mate... No idea... Ford should be able to help you... It was a recall part... If you give them that info Microcat should show the part you are chasing...

Cheers,
Tim

Burson and Repco sell Threebond products.

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Thanks

I'll check with Repco,

I have not heard of Burson though.

Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia