Fordmods Logo

weight reduction for ef-el any one done it or any ideas? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: weight reduction for ef-el any one done it or any ideas?
Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

remove the engine and go fred flintstone styles save heaps on gas and weight :lol:

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: GREEN ED XR6

Power: 249 rwkw

QLD, Australia

well if you were running down the strip i wouldnt have the 4 passengers in the car with you as you'd save approx 400kg there lol

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Why did every one need to be so negative on this topic?

Any one could very easily get 30kg out of an EF/EL with out loosing any 'luxury' and 'comfort' features.
More if he's willing to forgo on A/C and a heater.
and it's very worth while getting weight out. Suggesting he remove things such as plastic trims is a waste of time. They account for a very small percentage of the removable weight a in car.

I'm going through it now pulling weight out of my RX7 while still keeping Improved Production rules i mind. there is stack loads of weight in sound deadening/under felt, excess steel in doors, bonnets and boot lids, heater cores and the water they hold, A/C compressors/condensers/evaporates and gas lines. There is a couple of KG difference between a full sized spare and space saver.
factory seats are heavy. i'd put money on there being at least a half a KG of unused copper in the car. You could easily save a few KG by using a single muffler in the exhaust.
replacing non critical steel mountings with alloy ones and using light weight alloy bolts.
You could probably take 1kg off each brake rotor by going to DBA 5000 2 piece rotors that use an alloy bell. That's 4 less KG to move down the road and 1KG per corner saving of Unsprung Weight.

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

paulos wrote:
weight reduction for my car altho i still need it to seat 5 people as its a daily driver but it would be nice to get rid of any parts whihc can be replaced by something lighter

Chop top.
More sunshine and wind in your face, no need for A/C so less power loss from engine.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:51 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU111 XR6 VCT Supercharged

QLD, Australia

SV-Valiant wrote:
you can always leave the spare tyre behind

This isn't as silly as it sounds. In my AU I've removed the 17inch spare mag/tyre....which would weigh maybe 25kg?

In its place is a 'slime' air compressor with a bottle of puncture slime....weighing maybe 700grams. So the easiest 24.3ish kg weight saving there ever!

I can't vouch for the product yet as I haven't had the first puncture, but you're supposed to be able to just squirt the slime in, pump it up, and drive away. I'm prepared to take the risk of this not working (though it should) as I drive fairly locally on a daily basis. For longer trips (eg. holiday) I put the spare back in.

The weight saving is tangible in terms of handling...my back end was heavier as I have my battery relocated (lightening the front in effect), which meant spare + battery in boot = heavy back end. When I removed the spare the handling balance changed, so the weight effect is tangible.

As tickford_6 said earlier, remove enough of it and it will make a difference. Personally I would (if I could afford) remove spare wheel, get lightweight mags, and a carbon fibre bonnet. This wouldn't have any negative effects, except for the risk of a large tyre tear, where the slime product wouldn't help.

Joe

FOR SALE! - Supercharged AUIII XR6 VCT, intercooled, T5, big brakes.... details in the 'For Sale' section - ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-supercharged-au-xr6-vct-series-iii-intercooled-rwc-rego-t114254.html

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

I think Kurnell Kustoms do fibreglass bonnets, their meant to save something huge like 25kg over the standard steel one, thats a fair amount out of the nose imo. Light wiegt seats prob saves another 25kg, remove the spare and theres another 20 odd. Take out one of the horns, Falcons have two (unessary, lol), no amplifier, remove the cruize control if you never use it (it's pretty heavy). Thats close to 100kg of beef out, A 5 speed Falcon would be getting pretty light and frisky then.

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:25 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: el xr6, r33 series 2 skyline

Power: 149 rwkw

SA, Australia

fibre glass doors and boot at all??? front panels???
or am i dreamin

God made s**t, Holden put wheels on it

skyline daily
ford building

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

paulos wrote:
fibre glass doors and boot at all??? front panels???
or am i dreamin

you can do anything with enough money

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:09 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

good call, would be nice to make 1 and half tonne car into 1300kg or something, it would help with fords over weightness

skyline daily
ford building

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

You'd be surprised just how much weight will come out with little thought and little cash. Even more with a lot a cash.

Why not get your car weighed and start changing/removing stuff. bathroom scales will tell you how much you've taken out.

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

good idea, yer i still wonna keep it drivable tho since itl be my daily driver pretty much for ever
so taking back seats out wont do and taking off the ac and the sub in the back

fibre glass is a good idea tho

skyline daily
ford building

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:36 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

when it comes to removing the unnessasary, we have got a 1750kg XJS down to 1300kg with driver, 1500kg with rally gear and nav. but there is a bit of carbon some plexi glass, alot of interior is somewhat missing. cage goes in, side intrusion bars come out, steel crash reinforcing bars front and rear, remoe fuel tank install fuel cell, carbon boot lid, replaced trims with alloy, removable for when standard trims needs to be put back on for regularities and other circuit stuff. it can be done.

Just takes time.

If you do not value your hips, remove your intrusion bars, bit of weight in them. does not effect apperance. just legality.

I have a car.

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:51 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: eb xr6 and EL Falcon

VIC, Australia

wouldnt cutting out bits of steel from your doors or replacing things like the bonnet with fibreglass affect the roadworthyness of the car? i thought that tampering with the cars structural things meant failing a roadworthy, such as hacking up a parcel shelf to fit bigger speakers into it???

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:23 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

duderat wrote:
wouldnt cutting out bits of steel from your doors or replacing things like the bonnet with fibreglass affect the roadworthyness of the car? i thought that tampering with the cars structural things meant failing a roadworthy, such as hacking up a parcel shelf to fit bigger speakers into it???

Yeah hence my comment of legality.

You could always go for removing things like gas struts and the like, running only ½ a tank of fuel, there is 30kg of we weight there.

I have a car.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2