Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Weird oil leak
Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Had a strange issue on the way to work this morning. While driving along normally, something suddenly let go and sprayed oil on my belt and a little on my headers, so there was a brief belt squeal and decent puff of oil smoke. I stopped to check it out, and there are no visible leaks. Whatever sprayed the oil has stopped. The crossmember is covered with oil, and their is a light spatter that came off the belt. It appears to be centred on the front driver's side of the engine bay. Oil pressure and water temperature are normal. Power steering does not appear to be leaking, and works fine. No oil is dripping. Any ideas what happened? Thanks.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Post subject: Re: Weird oil leak
Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Thanks for that. How would I test it? I turned the wheel lock to lock with the engine running and didn't see any oil coming out of the pump or hoses anywhere.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:04 am 
QLD Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF Ford Falcon Wagon

QLD, Australia

Wash and Degrease motor down throughly and then wait till it happens again then look to see where its come from if theirs no obvious signs of where its coming from now, and check and see if your power steering cap is on tight

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

I found the source of the leak. It's coming from the bottom bolt hole in the front of the power steering pump bracket (directly above the water pump pulley). That hole had been sealed with Ultrablack. What could possibly cause it to generate enough pressure in the bolt hole to blow the sealant out and spray oil? Thanks.

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

All sealed up and back together. Will wait til morning for the sealant to cure. Thanks for the help and advice.

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Just thought I would finish this story off, for anyone interested.

The leak kept getting worse, and no amount of sealant would slow it down, so the timing case was going to have to come off. To do it properly, I bit the bullet and pulled the engine to simplify getting the sump off. It turns out the leak was caused by a timing case gasket misalignment when I did the head gasket about 18 months ago.

There is a high pressure oil feed to the chain tensioner in the timing case, and an o-ring sealing the timing case to the block. The timing case gasket is meant to clear the o-ring. Well, it didn't, so there was gasket material trapped between the o-ring and the block. Over time, the high-pressure hot oil worked its way through the gasket material, past the o-ring, and directly to the bolt hole. There was actually a small channel through the gasket, as if it had been cut.

It's all back together and all good - no oil leaks (after I lifted the motor again to seal the rear sump gasket properly :x ). Hopefully, this might help someone else encountering the same problem. Than again, maybe I'm the only one careless enough to cause the problem in the first place. :oops:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]