Fordmods Logo

weird problem with inconsistant power/economy 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: weird problem with inconsistant power/economy
Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:28 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: AU fairmont

ACT, Australia

i have an AU fairmont and i do regular highway driving. i used to get 7.8-8.2 litres/100km but now its more like 8/6-9.0. since it has been getting 8.6-9.0 i have changed to a 2.5inch exhaust and done all the brake discs and pads except the front discs which were apparently warped but i cant feel that anymore since putting new pads on it so im not sure if they actually need doing? (economy didnt change after doing exhaust or brakes)

the problem i am noticing is that every now and then it the car feels like its suddenly lost power or getting held back, and looking at the instant litres/100km reading on the trip computer, when it does it, it usually goes up to 8-9 litres/100km sticking at 100 going down a slight hill, and more on flat roads/uphills as well. when it feels like its going how it should it reads around 3-4 litres/100km less.

i only notice this because i am very fussy with how my car runs, but it is noticable when it decides to suddenly lose a bit of power/whatever its doing. these tests were done without cruise control on as well.
i have done a service recently as well so i wouldnt think plugs or anything have gotten worn.
its a hard problem to explain but if anyone understands me and has an idea of what it could be please let me know!
Thanks,
Chris

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:02 pm 
Oompa Loompa

ACT, Australia

anyone got any ideas??

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

You say that you replaced the brake pads not long ago, possibly they are dragging on the rotors on harming performance? All I can come up with I'm afraid!

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:35 pm 
Oompa Loompa

ACT, Australia

yeah i planned to machine the front discs at the same time as putting new pads on, but the brake place stuffed me around so they didnt get machined. it has confused me as well because if the front brakes were grabbing i would have thought it be continuous and not an off/on occurance?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]