Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

savage78 wrote:
Benny D wrote:
throttle stuck just knock it outta gear and hit the kill switch

ok i will do that next time if i think of it but i was not sure if knocking it off gear would hurt the auto

Won't damage the gearbox...if you hit the neutral it will be like a manual in neutral...spins freely. Will only cause damage to the box if you happen to hit reverse/park instead of neutral. You just have to move the gear stick into neutral and switch the engine off quickly so that the revs don't go bezerk. Once the engine is off you can coast to a stop or use the brakes lightly (if you pulsate brakes, the brakes will feel hard after 2 presses).

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Post subject: Re: well new head went on and i still have the same problem
Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:01 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

My cruise cable stuck on the way into Wagga one day and being a manual I just clutched it...

It locked onto 3000rpm with no load so I could still drive it for the most part to somewhere safe...

With the lash adjusters, tipping oil on them will do nothing...

They rattle because they're collapsing... This is due the valve in them not sealing closed... Could have junk in the valve... Only way to pump them up is to pressurise oil in the bum end of them... Once they're in the rocker arm you can't do anything... They are hard to pump up outside of the rocker arm... I refurbished my factory ones the other week (had bad experiences with after market ones)... Tried pumping them up on the bench with no luck... Put them in and the car ran for 5 mins or so completely rattly and then just suddenly pumped up and went away... And in the two weeks since haven't bleed down yet... Much cheaper and more reliable than buying new ones I'd say...

Good luck with the repairs now... You day went from bad to worse by the sounds...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: EA

VIC, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
My cruise cable stuck on the way into Wagga one day and being a manual I just clutched it...

It locked onto 3000rpm with no load so I could still drive it for the most part to somewhere safe...

With the lash adjusters, tipping oil on them will do nothing...

They rattle because they're collapsing... This is due the valve in them not sealing closed... Could have junk in the valve... Only way to pump them up is to pressurise oil in the bum end of them... Once they're in the rocker arm you can't do anything... They are hard to pump up outside of the rocker arm... I refurbished my factory ones the other week (had bad experiences with after market ones)... Tried pumping them up on the bench with no luck... Put them in and the car ran for 5 mins or so completely rattly and then just suddenly pumped up and went away... And in the two weeks since haven't bleed down yet... Much cheaper and more reliable than buying new ones I'd say...

Good luck with the repairs now... You day went from bad to worse by the sounds...

Cheers,
Tim

thanks timmyA the lash adjusterd are not rattleing as bad now with the drive today there are a lot quieter today after the drive i did yeah the smashed gt bar i can fix it and the flair and gaurd as well what a bit more work load on me see three months ago i broke a mirror on the car now i got 7 years bad luck so im getting use to thinks going wrong well thanks guys for all the help

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:05 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EB Ghia

VIC, Australia

fullstops would help also

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 97 TICKFORD XR6 Manaul

SA, Australia

phongus wrote:
savage78 wrote:
Benny D wrote:

ok i will do that next time if i think of it but i was not sure if knocking it off gear would hurt the auto

Won't damage the gearbox...if you hit the neutral it will be like a manual in neutral...spins freely. Will only cause damage to the box if you happen to hit reverse/park instead of neutral. You just have to move the gear stick into neutral and switch the engine off quickly so that the revs don't go bezerk. Once the engine is off you can coast to a stop or use the brakes lightly (if you pulsate brakes, the brakes will feel hard after 2 presses).

dont know about the ea's but in the ef/el model if you take the gears from drive to reverse it'll automatically cut the engine
as i have done this once before trying to take the car out of drive and into neutral to cost down a long hill but went to far and hit reverse and the car turned itself off to provent damage

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:44 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Jonathan Kakousidis wrote:
phongus wrote:
savage78 wrote:
Benny D wrote:

dont know about the ea's but in the ef/el model if you take the gears from drive to reverse it'll automatically cut the engine
as i have done this once before trying to take the car out of drive and into neutral to cost down a long hill but went to far and hit reverse and the car turned itself off to provent damage

Never tried, but since I have a manual now, I am not game to try and put it in reverse and see if it stalls :P

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2