Fordmods Logo

what cam can au valve springs handle 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: what cam can au valve springs handle
Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:12 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

hi guys

im thinking about changing the cam in a au engine in my ea and im curious why they have those conical valve springs and what would be the biggest/best cam i can use on these springs..
im after a good all round cam . the car is a manual with a 3.08 diff ratio

ive heard the springs are like that because they are designed to stop valve bounce.???? i dont know how true this is..

and do the au valve spring have a higher tension than the std ones??

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:29 pm 

NSW, Australia

bump..

anyone????

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Conical springs give variable rate of pressure, the more closed up they are, the more tension they have, same as the front springs on the AU.
You would be better off with puting in matched springs to the cam, then theres no guess work or hassle.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:19 am 

NSW, Australia

thanks mate..

im only going to put a mild cam.. but im not sure how the au valves will go with the ef/el rockers ..because of the different rocker ratio???

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Don't know how that will go. The AU's had a rocker ratio of 1.8:1 and the previous models had a ratio of 2:1. So I'd be very careful. You may have to check wether the rockers/HLA's line up with the valve tips.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:17 pm 

NSW, Australia

yea..

not many people can give me a straight answer on that question..
ive done a little enquiring but ive only found after market cams for ea to el ..

im sure someone does a cam for a au.. just got do more searching..

i dont really want to change valves and springs ..
unless i can find a au intech tickford xr cam..
but im not sure if theres any difference in the au xr cams??
i know there are au xr6 with the intech engine most au xr6's ive seen have been vct engines...

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:19 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: AU 6

VIC, Australia

hey im gona be changing the cam, lifters, springs on my Au soon. Check Crowcams.com.au. I'll be getting the 2222549 in a Au grind, its a eseries cam but i spoke to crow and there gona make one to suit Au for me. I know you can just change the rockers but i'd prefer not to cos if u get a decent cam with high lift u dont wanna be worried about clearences. You have a manual so your laughing they have some decent cams there just remember if u go big u'll need a chip to plus Crows valve springs. The cams are $400+ CRow springs bout $150 i think + a Vernier gear up to $200- there good to advance your cam timing a couple of degrees squuezze a little more power out. And if u get the chip advance the ignition timing to suit and your laughing.

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:27 pm 

NSW, Australia

thanks
ill enquire about that.. i got a manual so i guess i have a larger veriety to choose from... :)

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:35 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: AU 6

VIC, Australia

remember u need springs, its good to change them anyway just incase one is buggereed and u dont know. Apparently crow dont have any cams till June but im gona ring back to confirm this cos its to long for me to wait. my lifters are gone. The cam ive chosen is medium which will b enuff for me. ANy thing bigger and the car will sound off its head, masssive lumpy idle=fuel cost threw the roof keep in mind the fuel as well.

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:14 am 

NSW, Australia

Joesau wrote:
remember u need springs, its good to change them anyway just incase one is buggereed and u dont know. Apparently crow dont have any cams till June but im gona ring back to confirm this cos its to long for me to wait. my lifters are gone. The cam ive chosen is medium which will b enuff for me. ANy thing bigger and the car will sound off its head, masssive lumpy idle=fuel cost threw the roof keep in mind the fuel as well.

well the problem is the au has conical (cone shape) springs so there wouldnt be to many hd replacements.. unless i use el valves,springs and rockers

so im not going to replace them at this stage because the engine only has 70,000 kms on it ...

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:17 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: falcon eb

WA, Australia

hey man ur in the same vote as me . with my hybrid motor . got a el 2 motor in my eb with a manual and a 3:27 lsd in it. want a pretty aggressive cam but not to sure on where to go and what to get .

The R4 & R5 cams really need internal attention to be made to compression ratios and piston valve pockets. If your half way through building your motor, then your in a great position to take advantage of this, however if its complete and just waiting on a cam, then I would advise to steer clear of the R4 & R5. If your set to keep the EL ECU and not change any of it via a chip or aftermarket ECU, then I would also recomend against the R4 & R5. We do better cams than both of these if you are running a slightly warmed over motor as these cams are all out race cams that must be complimented with other components. If your after something that will work happily with your std ECU then I would recomend our R6 as its a great all rounder, and although its not a dyno queen, the midrange torque that it gives makes traffic light drags a breeze as you walk away from most competitors with ease.

not sure on crow cams as of yet.

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:59 pm 

NSW, Australia

yea thanks mate

but not sure if you know but apparently rpd are no longer trading..
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43267..

but i have emailed wade cams but got no reply!

i emailed crow cams they gave me a quote of $395 but didnt give me any specs or rev range..
so im waiting for another reply..

ive contacted a couple of speed shops but the said there not sure on what cams are available for the au engine..

they just tell me to get a ef head, rockers and then use the ef aftermarket cam..
some of these pricks are just holden lovers you go into there shops and there got s**t loads of performance parts for holden 50l and v6 and a few ford 50l parts but when i ask about ford 40l there not sure they just get there catalogue out and say yep ea/el 40l no wories but then i say that the au is different they say they dont know and cant really help me ...
i will get it done sooner or later its just a bit hard at the moment because of the hours im working ......

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:44 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: falcon eb

WA, Australia

yeh. looking like crows going to be the place to go . might talk to kec over here in perth and c what they can offer if nething.

keep us in formed if u find nething else. could be a big help to the rest of us.

will do the same .

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:28 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: E-Hybrid Falcon

NSW, Australia

i quoted crow a while ago bout my ea and was alot less.
as for not supplying adequate info ask them for it. they assume you don't know like most people but if you do they are good to work with.
they seem to provide great results & know what they are talkin bout. i'm buyin a cam from them in the next few weeks. will update.

crow cam,cai,exaust,bbm,190 reg & el injectors,xr6 interior,guages,white cluster,pioneer/mtx stereo,big boot install w.i.p, 17"rims,koni/pedders shocks&springs with nolathane re-bush,ssv kit,stainless inserts,clear lights,t5 & short shifter,chardonay/pearl paint

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:53 pm 

NSW, Australia

yea i will definatly be getting more info before i go any further..
all they said was the price and it would give me a 8 kw gain in power..
pft i got more power than that from fitting extractors..
i would be wanting 20 - 50 kw gain but i guess it depends on what cam i get...
ive only contacted them by email so far..

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]