Fordmods Logo

What coolant should ya use in EF I6? Red stuff? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: What coolant should ya use in EF I6? Red stuff?
Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:25 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EF fairmont ghia

QLD, Australia

Hey lads, i have a ef fairmont ghia, not that it changes anything but have been using
just that regular fluro green. Am about to throw in an AU head gasket and 10 thou off head, just
was thinking about corrosion n thought ur meant to use that red coolant in these models?

Any thoughts on this?

cheers
efmonty88

Post subject: Re: What coolant should ya use in EF I6? Red stuff?
Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 19 images

Ride: BA Fairmont Giah v8+more

NSW, Australia

a good quality anti freeze anti boil with corosion inhibitor along with deminralised water will be fine the bigest mistake people make is mixing it to strong it actually can attack the alloy and gaskets i recomend 33 % nascars use nothing but demin water

Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:04 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

the pink ones seem to be s**t because they seep through the hoses (the pink ones I've seen anyway)... The Ford joint here uses only the nissan coolant and it seems to be great... Never had any troubles with it at all...

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:17 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

fairmont54 wrote:
a good quality anti freeze anti boil with corosion inhibitor along with deminralised water will be fine the bigest mistake people make is mixing it to strong it actually can attack the alloy and gaskets i recomend 33 % nascars use nothing but demin water

Whats the go with using demin' water? They say that for batteries but only idiots that want to
waste money on it, buy it.
When you talk about the strength of the mxture, my green stuff in there ive made 50%, coz on the bottle says that 33% has boiling point of A, and 50% has boiling point of B, where B is higher.
Im not saying your wrong fairmont54, just am intriged :wink:

Also what colour is the nissan coolant than?

Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:19 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

yeah its green stuff...

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

EFMONTY88 wrote:
fairmont54 wrote:

Whats the go with using demin' water? They say that for batteries but only idiots that want to
When you talk about the strength of the mxture, my green stuff in there ive made 50%, coz on the bottle says that 33% has boiling point of A, and 50% has boiling point of B, where B is higher.

the minerals in the water cause electrolosis in the cooling system to be higher and this causes corrosion and demin water reduces it <electricity in the cooling system>

Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

and obviously some of the mirals cause corosion themselfs

Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:44 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL Fairmont

QLD, Australia

I have been using Tectaloy gold concentrate coolant with tap water, change every 20000km although they recommend 60000km tap water and 100000km with demineralised water.

Last flush I removed the bottom radiator hose to check the inner coiled spring in the pipe for corrosion, after 80000km(4yrs) still looked like new...

http://www.icaraccessories.com.au/p/740741/tectaloy-xtra-cool-gold-engine-coolant-1l---texg11.html

Current ride 2007
ML GLX Dualcab Triton 4x4

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The Ford Pink coolant is WAY dearer than the Green stuff, the Pink isn't any better.

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:40 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

fairmont54 wrote:
EFMONTY88 wrote:
fairmont54 wrote:

the minerals in the water cause electrolosis in the cooling system to be higher and this causes corrosion and demin water reduces it <electricity in the cooling system>

Sorry mate thats incorrect, it may happen but the reason its used is the same as here in our motorsport, its a saftey thing, if there is an accident any coolant or water wetter is inherantly slippery.

In the case of accidents, a car is nore likely to pop a radiator and have the contents of its cooling system go EVERYWHERE compared to blowing the dry sump or sump and dropping oil everywhere.

To clean up a coolant spill takes almost as much time as it does to clean up an oil spill.

With the exception of drag racing, I will not comment on, cause I do not know what ANDRA specifies, any cams sanctioned event technically states that no additives are to be added to a cooling system, some teams opt to put demineralised water in their systems, most actually use spring water cause the water simply comes in a big a** bottle.

Back on topic, if you are going to change the coolant please make sure you do a complete flush.

I have a car.

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:13 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

EL___Fairmont wrote:
I have been using Tectaloy gold concentrate coolant with tap water, change every 20000km although they recommend 60000km tap water and 100000km with demineralised water.

Last flush I removed the bottom radiator hose to check the inner coiled spring in the pipe for corrosion, after 80000km(4yrs) still looked like new...

http://www.icaraccessories.com.au/p/740741/tectaloy-xtra-cool-gold-engine-coolant-1l---texg11.html

Why change it every 20k instead of 60k if thats recommended?
Might get a bottle of this stuff.
I have the pink toyota coolant in my silvia n second last track day, the top radiator hose split its inner n outer layers, n weeped coolant. Must change that soon too.

efmonty88

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
fairmont54 wrote:
EFMONTY88 wrote:
fairmont54 wrote:

Sorry mate thats incorrect, it may happen but the reason its used is the same as here in our motorsport, its a saftey thing, if there is an accident any coolant or water wetter is inherantly slippery.

In the case of accidents, a car is nore likely to pop a radiator and have the contents of its cooling system go EVERYWHERE compared to blowing the dry sump or sump and dropping oil everywhere.

To clean up a coolant spill takes almost as much time as it does to clean up an oil spill.

With the exception of drag racing, I will not comment on, cause I do not know what ANDRA specifies, any cams sanctioned event technically states that no additives are to be added to a cooling system, some teams opt to put demineralised water in their systems, most actually use spring water cause the water simply comes in a big a** bottle.

Back on topic, if you are going to change the coolant please make sure you do a complete flush.

i realise the coolant isnt used for that reason but demin water reduces electrolisis do the resherch

Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:42 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

EFMONTY88 wrote:
Why change it every 20k instead of 60k if thats recommended?

Because he likes his car.

The same reason people dump their oil every 7,500km instead of the Ford recommended 15,000km... Or we service our 4 speeds, even though Ford say they are sealed for life... etc, etc...

And I've always used the 5l Nulon concentrate. My first EL I had for nearly 8 years had a perfect cooling system and still had the factory radiator. Don't require a replacement until it ran into another car.

Maybe because I religiously flushed the system well and changed coolant every year, regardless of KM.

Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:59 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

fairmont54 wrote:
dc_todd wrote:
fairmont54 wrote:
EFMONTY88 wrote:
fairmont54 wrote:

i realise the coolant isnt used for that reason but demin water reduces electrolisis do the resherch

In race applications it hardly has time to begin the electrolosis process as the cooling system is dumped on such a frequent process.

I am going off what I know. research may show different, but this I what I have always done with our cars, and I already mentioned the regulations we need to adhear to.

I have a car.

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:08 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

as mentioned i realise coolant isnt used for that reason were talking about a road car here so it will make a difference

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next