What is the "Auto TX fuse"? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
RD: My issue is how to power the trigger wires for the thermo relays. They are supposed to connect to the "auto tx fuse", but i don't know where that is on my EBII, and it's probably a bit hard to get to, and i'm thinking about alternatives.

I was thinking about using my ecu +12v (pin 37 or 57), but having already spliced my knock sensor and bbm into these i'm wondering if i might end up drawing too much power through the ecu.

So now i'm thinking i might instal a 15A fuse into the thermo relay trigger power wire, then splice it into the alternator power wire. Since these are right next to each other underneath my coolant overflow bottle, this method would be a cinch. If anyone sees a problem with this please let me know.

T: i dont know if you got it sorted yet or not??
but the thermo fan/auto tx fuse wire can be conected to anywhere (via a fuse) where 12v ignition can be found..

I ended up connecting a fuse to the alternator power wire, which means 12v battery rather than ignition.

Quote:
i got to ask? why do you have your knock sensor conected to pin37 on your ecu???

To my knowledge one of the knock sensor wires is 12v ign power supply (can use pin 37 or 57), and the other goes to the appropriate ecu control pin? From memory the red wires from pin 37 and 57 join later in the harness anyway so they are identical.

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Last edited by relaxed_diplomacy on Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

kevman wrote:
I would wire up a fuse holder near your fuse box preferably to an ignition feed or an accessory feed no ignition would be best.As long as the thermo fans turn off while you are starting the engine.Tap into the a/c fuse the relays won't draw much current. .Kevman

I haven't noticed the thermo fans being on when i start the engine, but i probably wouldn't know. I don't imagine they would be on if the engine is cold anyway? If the engine is hot it will be easy to start and if the fans do happen to be on it won't matter?

One thing i notice is when i put my EBII ECU back in one of the thermo fans comes on when the ignition is off. But since i normally run an EL ecu i don't see this as a problem?

The only potential problem i can think of is if the battery short circuits or lightning hits the vehicle the ecu will be at a slightly higher risk of getting a hit until the 15A fuse blows. But there could be other potential or real issues i'm not aware of.

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:06 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

Quote:
i got to ask? why do you have your knock sensor conected to pin37 on your ecu???

Quote:
To my knowledge one of the knock sensor wires is 12v ign power supply (can use pin 37 or 57), and the other goes to the appropriate ecu control pin? From memory the red wires from pin 37 and 57 join later in the harness anyway so they are identical.

umm no!!
mate the knock sensor is 3v with engine running from pin 23 on the ecu and the other is sensor signal ground pin 46.

you probably fried your knock sensor???
so its probably not working anymore...

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

umm no!!
mate the knock sensor is 3v with engine running from pin 23 on the ecu and the other is sensor signal ground pin 46.

Wow, i wonder if that might have caused other gremlins. Poo.

I'll fix that. Thanks Troyman. Thankfully i have a spare knock sensor and a spare wire going through the firewall, so it shouldn't be too hard.

Hang on, how do i know which wire goes to which pin? From memory the wires on the knock sensor itself are red and white, and the wires from the plug onwards are yellow and yellow-with-a-red-stripe. Which pin for which wire?

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:33 pm 

NSW, Australia

relaxed_diplomacy wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

umm no!!

Wow, i wonder if that might have caused other gremlins. Poo.

I'll fix that. Thanks Troyman. Thankfully i have a spare knock sensor and a spare wire going through the firewall, so it shouldn't be too hard.

Hang on, how do i know which wire goes to which pin? From memory the wires on the knock sensor itself are red and white, and the wires from the plug onwards are yellow and yellow-with-a-red-stripe. Which pin for which wire?

on mine the wire is black and black blue.
the black is going to pin 46..
and the black/blue is going to pin 23..

from memory on my ea conversion the wires were yellow and yellow/red.
on that one i had the yellow going to pin 46.
and the yellow/red going to pin 23..

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks, that should be easy to fix. Any chance i've damaged the EL ecu or power supply to it?

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:19 pm 

NSW, Australia

relaxed_diplomacy wrote:
Thanks, that should be easy to fix. Any chance i've damaged the EL ecu or power supply to it?

i think it would be ok..
it still runs?????
i think the extra voltage may have just caused the knock sensor to open curcuit?
its probably just getting a knock sensor fault code on diagnostic..

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Pin 46 already has a black/white wire in it. What do i do?

PS - it might be good to update your tech doco, quoting "The fourth wire to add is to pin 23, which is for the knock sensor. You will have to run the wires for the knock sensor and bbm release solenoid through the firewall into the engine bay."

Last edited by relaxed_diplomacy on Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:29 am 

NSW, Australia

relaxed_diplomacy wrote:
Pin 46 already has a black/white wire in it. What do i do?

pin 46 is signal ground..
just splice into it(join your wire to it) as this wire has all the sensor earths connected to it...

Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I was starting to think that but you were damn quick!! Thanks again!

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2