Fordmods Logo

What Is This Sensor ? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: What Is This Sensor ?
Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

ive been talking with my mate who is a mechanic and trying to work out the NF's cold start problem (yes its back its not as bad since ignition leads but still exists) on rock cold days it does it when i take off the car looses all power i can even hit my foot to the floor and nothing

he said timing could be out or the cold start sensor is telling the ECU to pump tones of fuel in (i thought this would create a smoke cloud but it never has but im open to ideas) so when i took off i had the trip computer telling me whats the instant L/100 is and amazingly he might be onto something as the instant shot up to 38L/100 during this then went back down and power came back so i know its either the MAP sensor or the cold start sensor but i couldnt find anything in max ellerys about a cold start sensor in the NF so i got him to point it out for me and max ellerys calls it a coolant temp sensor and almost no info on it (standard max ellerys know almost nothing)

it screw into the side of the thermostat housing

i would really like to know exactly whats it called and if it really could cause this or if i should be looking at the map sensor ?

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Post subject: Re: What Is This Sensor ?
Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:12 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Coolant temp sensor controls fuel enrichment when engine cold and thermofan operation. What you describe is a complete lack of engine power. I would be checking the Fuel Pump/fuel filter and ECU/Coil Pack as causes.

Hows your idle when the engine is cold??

I had a ECU on my EL that would fail about 80% of the time when engine was cold(car would run rough and the ISC was not getting any voltage--tested with multimeter) And what fustrated me is that for the rest of the day the ECU would work fine. I opened the ECU and tested continuity from the PCB to Pins and soldered any suspect dry joints, stilll didn't fix the problem. Installed another ECU and the problem hasn't been back now for about 1yr.

Current ride 2007
ML GLX Dualcab Triton 4x4

Post subject: Re: What Is This Sensor ?
Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

EL___Fairmont wrote:
Coolant temp sensor controls fuel enrichment when engine cold and thermofan operation. What you describe is a complete lack of engine power. I would be checking the Fuel Pump/fuel filter and ECU/Coil Pack as causes.

Hows your idle when the engine is cold??

I had a ECU on my EL that would fail about 80% of the time when engine was cold(car would run rough and the ISC was not getting any voltage--tested with multimeter) And what fustrated me is that for the rest of the day the ECU would work fine. I opened the ECU and tested continuity from the PCB to Pins and soldered any suspect dry joints, stilll didn't fix the problem. Installed another ECU and the problem hasn't been back now for about 1yr.

ive replaced my ECU with a perfectly good one and ive trained it properly the idle is good when its cold idles at 1000RPM when cold and once warm drops down to about 700

i havent replaced the ignition coil pack (the only other thing besides the MAP, thermostat sensor i havent replaced) but i doubt its the coil pack as the fuel goes WAY up during the cold start take off problem the motor has plenty of power when its warm and great fuel economy when warm its just horrible horrible economy when cold ive driven a few EF EL's and my NF defiantly has the most power out of any ive driven for stock

havent replaced fuel pump but have replaced filter

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]