Fordmods Logo

What is unique about VCT exhaust system? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: What is unique about VCT exhaust system?
Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

I am trying to buy a sports exhaust (cat-back) system for my AU2 XR6 VCT w/IRS. Rage has a mandrel-bent system for an AU XR6 with IRS (part BB9010), but it says "Will not fit VCT version". http://www.rage.co.nz/New%20Site/web-co ... rd6Cyl.pdf
What does the VCT system have to do with the exhaust? And why won't an XR6 IRS cat-back fit if the car has VCT?

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Post subject: Re: What is unique about VCT exhaust system?
Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

The rear section is different to clear the IRS.... but from what I can see, I'm f**ked if I know how it's a few hundred dollars different!!!
I was stunned when looking for a new system for the Ghia. :shock:

Edit: Just had a look at the link you posted.... What?? I don't even??
Best bet would probably be contact them for clarification, then post the response. Because dat don't make no sense..

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I'm not sure why it wouldn't fit, but the stock XR6 VCT exhaust is a weird-a** system.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Falcon- ... 4c4&_uhb=1

I think Rage got it mixed up as pretty much all IRS AU's had VCT. (except V8's of course)
You could option IRS on to any vehicle I beleive, but if the vehicle had VCT then it definitely had IRS.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Thanks heaps for the link. Yeah, I'm pretty sure Rage got it screwed up too. The exhaust has been replaced at some point in the past, and is currently just a single main muffler anyway (press bends and all). So I'm sure their IRS system will bolt straight in. Will chase them up again, but they don't seem too sure of anything. Thanks for the help.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Finally got it sorted. Like MAD pointed out, the AU XR6 VCT came with a dual muffler system from the factory, so some of the mounting hangers are in different locations, and a standard single system for IRS is not a straight swap. But all it requires is adjustment to some hangers - a simple welding job that any muffler shop could do for next to nothing. As mine already has a single system, the mounting points must have been changed too at some point, and a standard IRS system will bolt straight in.

After all that, I had a local shop recommended to me and I had a chat with the guy. He has been doing custom sports systems for 35 years, and it was clear that he knows what he's talking about. Have the car booked in tomorrow for a custom system with welded-in mandrel bends. He says he will swap/add/remove mufflers/resonators while on the hoist until I get the sound I want. And his estimate is $400 cheaper than the off-the-shelf system. Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for all the help.

Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Well, had the new custom cat-back in for a week and a half, and I love it. Mike from Pitstop Westgate used a large 2-chamber main muffler and a large straight-through resonator at the back. It's 2.5 inch all the way with welded-in mandrel bends. It has a huge oval AU-style chrome tip that looks factory, but mean. The sound is deep and mellow and not too loud at low throttle openings, but absolutely howls at WOT. The sound has been getting mellower and better the more I drive the car. Now you can notice the exhaust sound cruising on the highway, but it's not loud or intrusive, and there's no drone at all. It cost me NZ$770 (about A$670) - much cheaper than an off-the-rack mandrel-bent system here. Very happy with the result.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]