Fordmods Logo

What triggers thermos to come on in an EL? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: What triggers thermos to come on in an EL?
Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Toyota Supra RZ

VIC, Australia

What causes the thermos to come on at full speed in an EL? (or ebii with el engine/ecu)

i can think of

1) engine hot
2) ac on
3) trans overheating (with accompanying flashing power light)

my car isnt showing either of these situations but my thermos are turning on as soon as the engine starts and dont turn off.

While nothing seems wrong, having these thermos on just worries me as all i can assume is something is about to die.

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 94 ED Fairmont, MY97 LE WRX

VIC, Australia

thermos come on at a set temp when the car is running. on older cars with them you had a adjustor near the radiator so you could set the temp they came on at and any thing below that they would turn off. on the newer cars i dont know if they set by the computer to operate now or not. they will come on at full speed whilst sitting their due to the fact they need to suck the still air through the radiator to cool the car, like the older clutch fans run quickly whilst at lower revs to draw in air but going they are designed to slip so they dont spin as fast because your getting the air in via car momentum.
sorry to rabble on but been up all night celebrating the new year i know aday late but i had to work the real one lol

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yeah mate you are correct about the fan being operated by the ECU. Like i said i know of a few situations that trigger them but this doesn't make any sense to me. from what i gather the car doesnt fit any of the situations i listed.

From what i can gather the fans are on constantly. I can hear them spinning when im cruising at 100km/h (when they do sfa) and can hear them whenever i pull up at lights etc. As soon as i started the engine this morning (after it sat all night and everything would've been cold) the fired straight up.

Stupid car.

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:49 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

hi
is your car auto or manual??

if your using a auto ecu in a manual the fans will run all the time because the ecu doesnt detect the auto temp sender so it will switch the fans on assuming that the auto is over heating...

but if its a auto maybe the auto temp sensor has failed or has a broken wire...???

or if you have a el ecu in a eb and its auto is your auto conected to the el engine ecu or the original eb tcm???

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
hi
is your car auto or manual??

if your using a auto ecu in a manual the fans will run all the time because the ecu doesnt detect the auto temp sender so it will switch the fans on assuming that the auto is over heating...

but if its a auto maybe the auto temp sensor has failed or has a broken wire...???

or if you have a el ecu in a eb and its auto is your auto conected to the el engine ecu or the original eb tcm???

hey mate

Car is auto. Temp sensor is a possibility......... although as i said before, i was under the impression that when the auto overheated (or thought it was?) the power light flashed and i assumed it would go into limp home mode (2nd/3rd gear, whichever..) which it hasnt. car still shifts as per sloppy btr normal.

my car is an EBII so has smartlock / integrated auto controller so the EL ECU is controlling both the motor and the auto as per it would in an auto.

But yeah i suspect its something to do with the auto which HOPEFULLY will be gotten rid of this weekend and replaced with a T5.

Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:17 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

Have you accidentally knocked off the coolant temp sensor? That'll cause them to come on and stay on. Its also an easy way to test if they are both working :)

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]