Fordmods Logo

Whats legal and Whats not? P Plate Modding... 

Page 5 of 7 [ 101 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:57 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Guys seriously i live in the northern suburbs have driven VN/VP BT1's exec and calais turbos and even a friends S15 up and down main roads in my area, cruise chapel street and princess hiway nearly every friday night with out fail.

The main reason you will get pulled over is if your acting like an idiot driving around with 20's on the front and 15's on the back if your killing it or not and if your car just looks like a mess, OH and driving around with dropped pipes and dropping dose's every where dont help.

Main things is cops wont question what they cant see sure TMU officers know pretty much everything about cars but a tastefully low 'coon with some nice wheels 'stractors and an exhaust wont even reckon a second look with the boys in blue.

your allowed on any car if its a P plate car or not '1' inlet modification ie poddy extractors are part of the exhuast and you could have a 10 inch pip be more worried about being EPA'd or canaried for being too loud :cry:

lol hope that helps hahah

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

yeah cheers bro.. might cya cruzn chaple 1 night i live in richmond i go down there sometimes to check the rides out

1997 EL Fairmont [EHELL] Mods: 2.5" straight through Redback Mandrel Bent Exhaust from cat back, BA XR8 18" Replica's, LPG conversion, Kingspring Superlows - front and rear, Monroe GT lowered shocks all round, Clear side repetors, FPV front floor mats..

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: EF Falcon

SA, Australia

I don’t know if this is the same for VIC as I live in SA. but i had extractors put on my EF not too long ago and with in a few weeks i cop pulled me over and done a whole check of my car and I didn’t get busted for the extractors. Im pretty sure they could see it as its pretty obvious the only thing they picked up was one bald tire and just gave me a warning about it. im pretty sure if you don’t do anything stupid to attract attention then Im pretty sure you should be fine.

Falcon Build http://www.fordmods.com/post1285079.html#p1285079

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:26 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: eb

NSW, Australia

i am in nsw and the rta told me extractors are ok as long as you retain all factory emissions equipment.

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 97 EL XR6

Power: 162 rwkw

NSW, Australia

i got randomly pulled over a few months ago, wasnt speeding, he didnt even breath test me, he just went over my car loooking for something to pin me on.

i had to pop the bonnet for him, and he asked me if i had my intake pipe engineered! i told him he had to be kidding! then he checked inside my airbox, and he asked me if i had a turbo under my exhaust heat shield, again i told him he had to be kidding! he said my car was too loud, so i showed him my resonator and main muffler, he said my car was sitting too low, but it still has standard tickford suspension and 16" FTR rims! all my tyres were checked and ok, then he drove off!

what a toss bag!

07 BF MKII XR6T
310rwkw @ 13psi - Tuned By CMS

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

wat a d**k, were you drivin stupid? what did he say when you siad your kidding to him

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

what a f* piece of s* cop

he needs to go to the showers in gta san andreas and stick the d* up his a* scum bag

1997 EL Fairmont [EHELL] Mods: 2.5" straight through Redback Mandrel Bent Exhaust from cat back, BA XR8 18" Replica's, LPG conversion, Kingspring Superlows - front and rear, Monroe GT lowered shocks all round, Clear side repetors, FPV front floor mats..

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 97 EL XR6

Power: 162 rwkw

NSW, Australia

no i was driving ok, the only thing that may have attracted him was the Crescent Motorsport sticker on my rear window, but yeah i had an answer to all of his questions, the funny thing was that he didnt know if it was turbocharged or not! i might also add im not a p plater!

07 BF MKII XR6T
310rwkw @ 13psi - Tuned By CMS

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

so on what grounds did he have the right to pull u over and inspect your car if u dont have restrictions?
thats wierd...

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:16 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: FG MK2 XR6T

NSW, Australia

I'm on my P's and have the mods listed in my signature. Been that way for 12 months and i am in the car for a hour each day and am yet to have a problem. As long as you dont drive like a complete C**k or have 20" chromies you will be fine.

Formerly LV XR5 Turbo, AU Fairmont Ghia V8 & EBII Fairmont I6.

Now......
Feb 2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual
- Luxury Pack

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: XW, EL, Territory, VFR800

Power: 129 rwkw

SA, Australia

I'm on my P's and in SA :)

That's all I have to say :)

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

The p plate laws for persons getting their license AFTER July 2008, you cannot have ANY engine mods what so ever; air intake, extractors, bigger zorst,....and the list goes on.

You MIGHT be able to get away with a mild cam as their internals and hard to trace....

As far as insurance goes, its up to your insurance company, say you have extractors, crash teh car and the extractors get broken, if you dont state it..they won't cover it....
If you have a NON-RWC modification and it was the CAUSE of the crash then they may not insure you (again depending on insurance company)

Lastly for those young ones who just got their license after july, im sure your asking (can i have a nice sound to my car (exhaust), answer is Yes, but with restrictions....You cannot make the exahust diameter bigger, you cannot remove a muffler..but you CAN remove a resignator..
This is the only means to having a car with a bit of noise to it without being Illegal (for new p'platers)
Reason: Resignator merely quietens the noise of the engine, and removing it does not INCREASE engine performance (as that is the restriction on new p-plate laws)..
Resources;
-TMU had no clue
-Vic roads spent an hr researching it, and had no clue
-The Legislation created does not state this at all
- Exhaust companies were the only people who clarified that it would be legal (in terms of engine performance)

Hope this helps you guys out a bit
Cheers
- Ash

Sucessful trades with Schmee, Braidy, Niko, The_Ghost, YBHVE4, Stalker

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

FAST-XR wrote:
no i was driving ok, the only thing that may have attracted him was the Crescent Motorsport sticker on my rear window

yep that would be it. I wanna put a small Wade cams and Chiptorque sticker on the rear window, but never will for the fact that it says "look at me, my car is modded and illegal"

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hybrid34 wrote:
The p plate laws for persons getting their license AFTER July 2008, you cannot have ANY engine mods what so ever; air intake, extractors, bigger zorst,....and the list goes on.

You MIGHT be able to get away with a mild cam as their internals and hard to trace....

As far as insurance goes, its up to your insurance company, say you have extractors, crash teh car and the extractors get broken, if you dont state it..they won't cover it....
If you have a NON-RWC modification and it was the CAUSE of the crash then they may not insure you (again depending on insurance company)

Lastly for those young ones who just got their license after july, im sure your asking (can i have a nice sound to my car (exhaust), answer is Yes, but with restrictions....You cannot make the exahust diameter bigger, you cannot remove a muffler..but you CAN remove a resignator..
This is the only means to having a car with a bit of noise to it without being Illegal (for new p'platers)
Reason: Resignator merely quietens the noise of the engine, and removing it does not INCREASE engine performance (as that is the restriction on new p-plate laws)..
Resources;
-TMU had no clue
-Vic roads spent an hr researching it, and had no clue
-The Legislation created does not state this at all
- Exhaust companies were the only people who clarified that it would be legal (in terms of engine performance)

Hope this helps you guys out a bit
Cheers
- Ash

Well that is the biggest crock of s**t this government has ever come up with... there is no chance in hell i will abide by this law.. ffs
absulute bloody bull s**t

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

anyway, is that just for P1's P2's or both?
And im pretty sure you are wrong...

Yeah doesnt sound right at all..

Sort by  
 Page 5 of 7  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next