Fordmods Logo

Whats legal and Whats not? P Plate Modding... 

Page 1 of 7 [ 101 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Post subject: Whats legal and Whats not? P Plate Modding...
Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Hi all.

Wandering where the line is drawn for modding on your P's according to the government.. (in Vic)

i think it is nothing 'performance enhancing' can be added to your car..
but that does not mean exhaust.. so I am assuming extractors are legal on your P's?

what are some options for incrasing power on a 6 cyl that are legal? I dont want to build a street machine lol but at least give it a bit of grunt..

1997 EL Fairmont [EHELL] Mods: 2.5" straight through Redback Mandrel Bent Exhaust from cat back, BA XR8 18" Replica's, LPG conversion, Kingspring Superlows - front and rear, Monroe GT lowered shocks all round, Clear side repetors, FPV front floor mats..

Post subject: Re: Whats legal and Whats not? P Plate Modding...
Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

FPV GT Alex wrote:
Hi all.

Wandering where the line is drawn for modding on your P's according to the government.. (in Vic)

i think it is nothing 'performance enhancing' can be added to your car..
but that does not mean exhaust.. so I am assuming extractors are legal on your P's?

what are some options for incrasing power on a 6 cyl that are legal? I dont want to build a street machine lol but at least give it a bit of grunt..

i was speaking to a kid at work who got his p's not too long ago and he rockons you can have a cat back but no extractors (not sure on hi-flow cats)

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

i thought u wernt aloud to touch anythin to do with performance, a catback would give you more power so im guessin your not aloud

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

if you don't drive like a d**k, have it sitting obviously too low or with outrageous rim sizing, have the stereo cranked to the s**t or have a straight through exhaust or a front mount hanging out then unless you get an absolute c*nt of a police officer i think you will be right

oh yeah...or have numberplates with your age on them

if you keep your car subtle you will get away with more.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Last edited by skidder on Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

so i assume you are still on your P's... does your full exhaust sytem include a catback or extractors? also whats the deal with increasing air intake.. pod filters and that sort of stuff...

1997 EL Fairmont [EHELL] Mods: 2.5" straight through Redback Mandrel Bent Exhaust from cat back, BA XR8 18" Replica's, LPG conversion, Kingspring Superlows - front and rear, Monroe GT lowered shocks all round, Clear side repetors, FPV front floor mats..

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

here we go

RESTRICTIONS ON DRIVING HIGH POWERED VEHICLESIf you are a probationary driver and obtained your licence after 1 July 2007, you can't drive a vehicle with:

An engine of eight or more cylinders
A turbocharged or supercharged engine
Certain high performance six cylinder engines
An engine that has been modified to increase the vehicle's performance.

Also when i got my P's none of that stuff applied, im on the 150kw per tonne restriction

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Last edited by GeZza200 on Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

skidder wrote:
if you don't drive like a d**k, have it sitting obviously too low or with outrageous rim sizing, have the stereo cranked to the s**t or have a straight through exhaust or a front mount hanging out then unless you get an absolute c*nt of a police officer i think you will be right

oh yeah...or have numberplates with your age on them

if you keep your car subtle you will get away with more.

Nice advice :wink:

what about insurance? if u list it with your insurer, will they cover u?

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:
here we go

RESTRICTIONS ON DRIVING HIGH POWERED VEHICLESIf you are a probationary driver and obtained your licence after 1 July 2007, you can't drive a vehicle with:

Also when i got my P's none of that stuff applied, im on the 150kw per tonne restriction

Ohh thats awesome for you... that last point however.. an engine that has been modified etc... hmmm thats a hard one to get around..

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

move to south australia... you can drive whatever the f**k you want on your P's! :P

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

FPV GT Alex wrote:
GeZza200 wrote:
here we go

Ohh thats awesome for you... that last point however.. an engine that has been modified etc... hmmm thats a hard one to get around..

I just checked, its 125kw per tone. I think mine would be over that aswell, ahwell aslong as u drive proply you wont get picked on

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

yeah full system + cam. I have been lucky thusfar in that I haven't been pulled up for it, although I admit its most likely because since regaining my license (and falling under new laws) my driving habits have improved dramatically.

In keeping with what I said above, some officers do have it in for P platers...i should know, i have been fined $150 for not having my actual license on me after losing my wallet (apparently it didnt matter that he could ring up my bank and see if my cards had been cancelled that day) and also $120 for having my stereo too loud

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

skidder wrote:
yeah full system + cam. I have been lucky thusfar in that I haven't been pulled up for it, although I admit its most likely because since regaining my license (and falling under new laws) my driving habits have improved dramatically.

In keeping with what I said above, some officers do have it in for P platers...i should know, i have been fined $150 for not having my actual license on me after losing my wallet (apparently it didnt matter that he could ring up my bank and see if my cards had been cancelled that day) and also $120 for having my stereo too loud

Yeah tell me about it, iv been pulled over 3 times for taking off to fast :roll: . Never went over the speed limit though and they couldnt get me for anything.

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

geez... thats stiff for having your stereo too loud.. unless it was like 3am in residential area but u wander what the world is coming too sometimes..

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

My insurance still covers me (as car is still legal)....i had to make a claim under it after my mate backed into a letter box in it (bastard's probably now f**k my driver rating!)

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

mm thats annoying. So technically then u can get away with a fair bit as long as u dont put it all on parade and drive like a f**k munch then.. :)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 7  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next