When you kane it and turn it off 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: When you kane it and turn it off
Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:32 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 1996 EF Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

I just wanted to know after you give the car a go and then put her in the garage why does the exhaust go tick tick tick. its hot yeah? Is it bad for it why does it make the noise?

1996 EF Fairmont Ghia
- 2.5'' mandrel bent exhaust
- Au xr8 air intake snorkel
- Tinted windows
- Two way electric sunroof

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

the noise you're hearing is just the exhaust and engine cooling down

Banned

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

I've got the factory heatshield over my Pacies Comps and between the two of them theres a bit of noise (never used to hear anything when I had the Lukeys or stock manifold). It's got to do with stuff expanding and contracting and what not as it heats and cools. Different materials and thicknesses will heat up and cool down at different rates and all that. It should be any problem generally.

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:48 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA MkII XR8

WA, Australia

after you kane it you should let it idle for a bit too before shutting her down.

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

Yer engines have this awsome cooling system that uses moving water and air, might have heard of it, :P, anyway it does squat when the engines off, lol I normally get all my s**t together before I hop out of the car and turn it off, sometimes its the little 1% efforts that help.

I couldnt fix your brakes so I made your horn louder

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: eb falcon s series 2

NSW, Australia

if u live @ the botttom of a hill just turn the engine off and reoll down in neutral for soem nice cooling air!

bahahaha
but nah its just cooling down as everyone else says
remember on hot days by the tiime a cool change comes at about 4-5pm and ya roof starts ticking?
its fine

‮‮

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

Some cars seem to do it more than others thou, my aunts NL (i6) barely ticks at all after its been warmp n turned off where as my old one, also i6 would tick almost every time i drove it n turned it off..
The fbt i havnt heard tick yet, not sure why, obviously its cooling down/warming up, just havnt heard it.

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Isuzu MU-X ,2018 Kia Cerato

QLD, Australia

Ciggy_483 wrote:
after you kane it you should let it idle for a bit too before shutting her down.

yep let it cool down, sometimes if u shut it down too Quick your cooling syetem is under too much pressure and may overflow out the overflow tube.

'96 DF II LTD 6cy
'15 Isuzu MUX LST

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1994 ED FALCON FUTURA

WA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
I've got the factory heatshield over my Pacies Comps and between the two of them theres a bit of noise (never used to hear anything when I had the Lukeys or stock manifold). It's got to do with stuff expanding and contracting and what not as it heats and cools. Different materials and thicknesses will heat up and cool down at different rates and all that. It should be any problem generally.

Yeah im gonna jump on the bandwagon here and agree with twr7cx. Its just the engine cooling down cause as he said different materials expand when heated and when cool down contract. Its just like the Tin roof at work, all of a sudden in hot weather you hear a loud bang or ticking noise above yah which is just the roof expanding/contracting.

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2004 Mazda Tribute

lol. Sometimes I find if I've been driving, (especially going up hills) that if I park the car and shut it off, leave it for 10-15 minutes, then come back, when I turn the ignition on, the temp is up over the N of Normal.

As soon as you start the engine, (and the water pump is circulating the coolant again) it come straight back down. The temp sensor gets "steeped" in the Hot coolant like a teabag. :)

Ias far as I know, AUII + don't have this quirk, as the temp reading comes from the head directly, and not the coolant.

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

yep to everything others have said - as to why different cars do a different amount, I had an XW 302 that had factory single system when I got it - no noise on cooling down. Then I made my own side exit twin exhaust with two hot dogs (heh heh heh) but made all the mounts solid to the body - with no flexible hangers... Geez, did THAT make ticks and groans when it cooled down....

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

voids wrote:
Ciggy_483 wrote:

yep let it cool down, sometimes if u shut it down too Quick your cooling syetem is under too much pressure and may overflow out the overflow tube.

Yeah I can testify to this. I gave mine a bit of a hiding coming through the national park south of sydney a while back and then turned it straight off when I got to stanwell tops. As I got out, BANG the radiator cap blew open, coolant showered all over my hot engine and extractors and there was steam-a-plenty for all to see.

I assume exhaust is usually the noisiest when it comes to cooling as it changes temperates the most, from red hot back to ambient temperate - and being thin and hollow it'd cool the quickest.

ImageImage

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

NSW, Australia

few things u can do ..

add a second fan infront of ur other fans off a timer whe nur car turns off it'll go on for 30-60seconds like a euro car.

or turn ur aircon on cold on max for 1-2 mins before turningit off (turns all the thermos on at once) to cool it down a bit or as said, idle!

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Wagon, ph34r!

WA, Australia

96ghia wrote:
lol. Sometimes I find if I've been driving, (especially going up hills) that if I park the car and shut it off, leave it for 10-15 minutes, then come back, when I turn the ignition on, the temp is up over the N of Normal.

As soon as you start the engine, (and the water pump is circulating the coolant again) it come straight back down. The temp sensor gets "steeped" in the Hot coolant like a teabag. :)

Ias far as I know, AUII + don't have this quirk, as the temp reading comes from the head directly, and not the coolant.

It's not so much whether the coolant is circulating or not but whether or not its under pressure. The coolant is pressurised for a reason: increasing the pressure of the coolant raises its boiling point by simply reducing the amount at which it can expand. Killing the engine relieves the pressure allowing the coolant to expand more than it could while under pressure. Net result: higher coolant temp. Once you restart the engine you put the pressure back on which brings the temp back down.

Team Argon Silver

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:38 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: Wasabi Gangsta Mobile

WA, Australia

Even better, press the a/c max button and turn the temp to hot--> that gets all the fans going on max and also sucks a heap of heat out of the coolant into your cabin air. (Nice in winter... not so great in summer). Either way I'd rather take a couple of mins of hot air even on a hot day to save my engine after a caning.

Fuzion said "or turn ur aircon on cold on max for 1-2 mins before turningit off (turns all the thermos on at once) to cool it down a bit or as said, idle!"

Supercar front & wing,Ghia bonnet & lights,XR skirts,17s,ABS,slotted rotors,race pads,low 2.5in,lovells springs,KYB shocks,fr camber kit,K&N,mandrel-bent straight-thru zorst,3.23LSD,neons,blue LED dash conversion,XR vents,v8 radiator,oil cooler,big stereo. Needs boost!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]