Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Where to go from here?
Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Gday i have just been thinking what else i can do to my car while still NA, I have a full rebuilt engine, full exhaust, CAI, 68mm throttle body, Wade 1671 cam, SCT chip and xr6t injectors. Its putting out 154rwkw at the moment, what else can i do to the car other than getting a bigger cam to get more power from it? I was thinking full port and polish with the head but im not sure if i will gain anything from it? What else is there to do besides forced induction?

Cheers

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Post subject: Re: Where to go from here?
Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:38 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Port and polish head, maybe shave it for higher compression, not sure if you got the engine balanced/blue printed but that might give it a bit of power. You can bore the engine out to 4.1L or something if you really want to. But the prices out weigh the outcome if you know you can go down the forced induction path at a cheaper rate.

I've basically stopped where you're at...besides a full engine rebuild, and found another hobby to occupy my money haha.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Depending on how much you are looking at spending, id personally go for a port and polish job on the head if you want to keep it NA, its the hybrid head isnt it so it should have smaller ports and doesnt flow as well as earlier model heads in stock form. Seems like you're making a bloody decent amount of power already so a bit of headwork would free things up even more. Get a place to port/polish the head, multi-angle valve regrind, taper the valve guides down a bit, maybe de-shrouding valves and laying back the chamber a bit for more flow, shave the head few thou and chuck it all back on with the AU gasket. I reckon you would see some good gains IMO. If it was me, id probably also look at a bigger cam to match the headwork, and get some uprated valve springs to suit the cam and thats about as far as id take it going NA, you could start boring out the block and getting pistons made up for it but it starts adding up like Phongus said.

If you're after big power you'll be in for a bit of boost. You'll probably get a lot of people telling you to boost this thing already :lol:

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Cheers thanks for that, i think i might have to get the head port and polished then, I do have a set of crow double valve springs that i haven't put in yet as well. When the engine was rebuilt it was bored out 30thou and a set of ACL pistons, it also had new valves put in the head and the head was cleaned up a bit with klines and the ports were cleaned up. Also with the AU heads they have 41mm exhaust port like the XRs instead of the 39mm. Do know how much it roughly cost to get a full work over with the head?

Cheers

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Im not 100% sure on what headwork prices are over there, but in NZ it is pretty expensive. Over here anywhere from around $800 onwards is the normal price for a basic job, thats pressure/crack test, 3 angle valve grind, mild port and polish job (thats probably only porting intake and exhaust ports at a rough guess) shave the head, new valve stem seals, etc. Prices start jumping when you go for extensive porting, reshaping chambers, etc.

It all depends where you go, some places charge more than others, but at a rough guess id be expecting anywhere from 1k upwards to get the head fully worked over

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

KWIKXR wrote:
its the hybrid head isnt it so it should have smaller ports and doesnt flow as well as earlier model heads in stock form.

dont know where u get this info from...

hybrid head uses a fairly st head with the 7mm valve stems

i would consider:
an upgrade to 4480's if u havent
add some comp (depending on what your running now)
whilst head is off fit MLS (if u havent for a little more comp)....
very basic port cleanup, deshroud and portmatch
upgrade to larger cam (though u can only go one larger in a wade before its a billet)
if upgrade to larger expect a hi-stall....

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Ok, the head was shaved when it was fixed up when the engine was rebuilt, so im not sure what compression im running at the moment. I have ceramic coated 4480's which work well, I was thinking about getting a full 3" exhaust with good quality mufflers to make it flow a bit better as well. With the cam i think il get the AU equivalent of the 1521a eseries cam.
Also just a question with about stall converters, if i get a 2500rpm stalli how does it work when i want to take off normally? will it still take off fine on slight throttle or will i have to give it a bit more revs until 2500rpm, then it will take off?

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

you should ask those that have actually had one but under normal driving there aint much difference on a small stall like that....i thick stock stall is around 2200...lockup and limp mode is something to watch out for when buying one but

cam wise i was thinking 977b (1521 is billet yes?)...except 977b only really adds a bit more exh duration than a 1673 but is cheap as its a regrind...also your cam has a very wide lsa(phase angle) which i think hurts performance but does gain idle quality...

have you played with thhe vernier much?

at some point your gunna need to do something about that 3.08 your running

i think the 3" exhaust could help a fair bit based on what others have achieved...I dont buy into this too little backpressure s**t....

comp wise youll have to cc it to check its where it should be....yes its been shaved but how much...

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

The current cam is advanced 2 degrees with the vernier gear to bring the power band back a bit because of the long diff ratio. Chris from Wade recommended the AU1250 cam which is;

Lift at the lobe IN. & EX. 0.280"
Advertised duration IN. & EX. 270 degrees.
Duration @ 0.050" IN. & EX. 214 degrees.
Lobe centre 114 degrees.

I will get the 3" exhaust but i don't want a droney annoying one, i hope good mufflers will help that.

Idle quality isn't a huge thing im worried about as long as it doesn't stall that's the main thing.

I am looking for a new diff i was thinking 3.9 diff gears, I'm wanting the car to do a low 14, high 13. if that's possible

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

gogetta wrote:
KWIKXR wrote:
its the hybrid head isnt it so it should have smaller ports and doesnt flow as well as earlier model heads in stock form.

dont know where u get this info from...

hybrid head uses a fairly st head with the 7mm valve stems

i would consider:
an upgrade to 4480's if u havent
add some comp (depending on what your running now)
whilst head is off fit MLS (if u havent for a little more comp)....
very basic port cleanup, deshroud and portmatch
upgrade to larger cam (though u can only go one larger in a wade before its a billet)
if upgrade to larger expect a hi-stall....

I said ports, not valves. As already stated, EL hybrid/AU valves are the same as what in the EF EL tickford heads (47mm in. 41mm ex.), only difference is the valve stem diameter is 7mm with the EL hybrid/AU as opposed to 11/32 or 8.7mm as seen in the earlier heads.

This is taken from an Autospeed article..I got my info from here.. http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Awakening-the-Aussie-Ford-Six-Part-Two/A_2236/article.html
Quote:
Be aware, however, some ELs were released with hybrid engines using an AU-spec small-port head.

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

that cam is a fair increase in specs....you will have to retune the J3 definately...

i would think a stall would be needed...

your aiming fairly ambitiously with your 1/4 mile times.....i think you should go 4.11s for an auto with a good revy motor....3.9s are good on a stockish motor...

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED Pwnage Pwr!!

SA, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:
The current cam is advanced 2 degrees with the vernier gear to bring the power band back a bit because of the long diff ratio. Chris from Wade recommended the AU1250 cam which is;

Lift at the lobe IN. & EX. 0.280"
Advertised duration IN. & EX. 270 degrees.
Duration @ 0.050" IN. & EX. 214 degrees.
Lobe centre 114 degrees.

I will get the 3" exhaust but i don't want a droney annoying one, i hope good mufflers will help that.

Idle quality isn't a huge thing im worried about as long as it doesn't stall that's the main thing.

I am looking for a new diff i was thinking 3.9 diff gears, I'm wanting the car to do a low 14, high 13. if that's possible

Hey thats the cam I'll be running, I'll let you know how it goes!

Is that a bigger one that the cam you already have?

Adelaide Motorplex < Click on it! You know you want too!
ED HP AU XR6, Wade, T5, and all the usual stuff!

Quote:
Thats not the point *a**hole

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Oh nice yeah that would be good to see what the AU1250 goes like, heres my current cam specs:

Attachments:
AU1671.jpg
AU1671.jpg [ 69.54 KiB | Viewed 132 times ]

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

after i have finished all this, will the car still be suitable for a Raptor supercharger kit? or will the compression have to be lowered?

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: f6 rspec

NSW, Australia

what time are u running with the current setup?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next