Fordmods Logo

Which E Series Engine do i ACTUALLY have?? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Which E Series Engine do i ACTUALLY have??
Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:50 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 96 Fairmont Ghia argon silver

NSW, Australia

my question arises because apparently it is a Ghia with XR6 engine, but it is NOT a tickford stamped head. perhaps it was one that got the dregs of the factory..

either way, i would like to know if these parts should all work together, because they seem to be from 4 different engine models.

i need to get the head gasket done anyway, and was going to buy a 95DT and swap straight over thinking that mine was a genuine Tickford, but its lucky i checked first.

so, the car is a EF2 1996 Fairmont Ghia 4L

it has red rocker cover

the head is stamped 94AB

the block is stamped 94DA-6059-AA

the original engine number (on the compliance plate, not the block) is JGSWTE62584

the ECU has this code: 95DA-12A650-CA

did my car come from the factory like this??

and can i put the 95DT head straight on?

or should i get the 94AB reconditioned (which is more expensive than a reconditioned replacement head to buy)

thanks in advance

Shay

Post subject: Re: Which E Series Engine do i ACTUALLY have??
Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, NCII V8

SA, Australia

the 94AB head is the EBII or early Ef head. there is no difference between EBII and early EL as far as im aware.

i would say you have a late EFII and they used what they had left, all the same stuff just different numbers. would not stress about it.

Im pretty sure all 94-96DA heads are all the same bare the tickford ones, only once you get into the AU heads the valves have a different offset.

my dads was the same had a 94da block 95da intake chamber 96da head 95da timing cover. and his was a dec 97 el wagon so would get using what they had left for the AU change over.

ignore the numbers they all the same stuff around 2-3 years

Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

94DA head is very late ED/EF.

Its likely been swapped as the original has failed at some point, pretty common.

It would have left the factory with a 94/5/6DT head. Probably 95DT, I have a late 95 EF2 Ghia here and thats what it has.

What is the catch code on the ecu? Will a 4 digit code on the label, 4TBD for example. Sounds like somebody may have pinched the ECU as well.

The engine number is on the drivers side of the block at the rear just behind the exhaust manifold.

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:40 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

The ecu has 5DCA on a sticker on the end. The blocks are the same for all e series as far as I'm aware, that's not really my concern right now..

I thought it would have more power being an xr6 engine, but it's the same as the futura I had with the added bonu.s of extra Ghia weight. Now I know why...

In your opinions Would it be worth changing to 95dt head and get correct ecu? Or stick with my current one? I have read on here that my head (94ab) is pretty solid for making changes to. I am planning to maybe get a cam, do the exhaust. That's prob it. No major works...

Thoughts?

Thanks again

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

To be honest I'm not sure you would notice the difference just fitting the Tickford stuff. If you want more power you are best doing the existing head as you say, aftermarket cam, exhaust, j3 and tune etc.

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:28 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

EFII should have come with a Tickford head, so somewhere along the lines the previous owner may have had the head replaced with a standard head, or got stooged by the mechanic who pinched it.

The 5DCA is the correct ECU for the original engine, ie Tickford motor according to [url="http://www.fordmods.com/ef-el-ecu-catch-codes-t30186.html"]this thread[/url].

Quote:
5DCA - EF Series II Fairmont Ghia (Tickford I6HP - 4 Speed Auto - 3.45 LSD 15" Wheels

shay wrote:
In your opinions Would it be worth changing to 95dt head and get correct ecu? Or stick with my current one? I have read on here that my head (94ab) is pretty solid for making changes to. I am planning to maybe get a cam, do the exhaust. That's prob it. No major works...

Thoughts?

In my opinion you will see little difference changing it to Tickford items. I suggest getting an aftermarket cam such as Wade 1636 for a stock auto, or 1673 with high stall auto, upgrade the whole exhaust system and maybe intake to get the most out of it. If the head was the only thing that was changed, I'd imagine you'd have the 300kPa fuel regulator still attached to the end of the fuel rail, if not, then upgrade the fuel regulator while you're at it.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:09 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Ahh glad that I still have the right ecu. So with my current head they would have retuned? Because surely the different head would need different ecu settings.

So if I get the 95dt head I will need to tune the ecu again? I can get the 95dt head for $400 reconditioned, ported and polished with crow valve springs. Crow 2519 cam is $400 more. Is it worth it for these parts? Head seems good but cam seems pricey..

Then I will have a 94ab head to work on while still driving my car. If I decide to go further with the engine..

Thanks again

Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

you can only retune the ecu with a chip, if it hasnt got a chip then its running the tickford maps. there isnt a huge difference between the heads so your ecu will run it fine. if you get the head and cam your best bet is to get a j3 tuned to suit

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:02 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

so i've decided to get the 95DT head, crow 2519 cam, pacemaker 4499 extractors from the same guy for $1000 for the lot.

will i need to get a j3 chip? or can that be added later?

i am thinking to just get the head and exhaust done and do the chip later.

will it run like a dog if i don't get the chip??

thanks again. i'm a bit new to the 4L ford mods..

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

http://www.crowcams.com.au/media/catalo ... 0EA-AU.pdf
crow says it works on a standard ecu. id recommend a vernier cam gear tho to dial it in.

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:17 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

shay wrote:
so i've decided to get the 95DT head, crow 2519 cam, pacemaker 4499 extractors from the same guy for $1000 for the lot.

will i need to get a j3 chip? or can that be added later?

i am thinking to just get the head and exhaust done and do the chip later.

will it run like a dog if i don't get the chip??

thanks again. i'm a bit new to the 4L ford mods..

Are all these parts new at that price? Pacemaker 4499 are $400 - $450 new, Cam is what $200, and head is worth $200 max and you will need to get it machined as well. That to me adds up to $850.

Pacemakers on Ebay.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EA-EB-ED-EF- ... 53f58a5937

Paceys 2nd hand Ebay $150
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PACEMAKER-EX ... 43b9e7f58b

Ticky Head Ebay
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Xh-ea-eb-ed- ... 2329099525

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-FALCON- ... 3ccfd68a14

These are all in Melbourne.

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:14 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

the guy has the head for $390, cam for $400, 4499 extractors for $280

the head is ported and polished, reseated valves, and has crow hardened cam springs. i wouldnt pay this price for a 2nd hand job thats fresh off an engine.

the cam is brand new and crow in Victoria sell it for $425

the extractors are brand new and exactly the same as the ones from your link

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:21 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

I take it that he had these for a failed project. If they are what you say then it is a good buy. If the cam is not billet then it is way overpriced, if it is a billet then it is a good buy.

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:52 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

yeah it is billet.

he sold the extractors to someone else, but i just picked up a set of 4480's from ebay for just shy of $500. they all seem to be about 550 or so, so i reckon that was a bargain too. apparently they sound better and give better low down performance anyway, which suits me well.

i need to courier the head and cam, and need the weight of the head (with cam). does ANYONE know the weight of a EF XR6 head with cam?? i have searched google for a good half hour now and cant find it anywhere...

if all else fails i will just put the maximum allowed weight for the courier which is 35kg, and hope that he takes it.

thanks again for all your input!

Shay

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:41 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

shay wrote:
yeah it is billet.

he sold the extractors to someone else, but i just picked up a set of 4480's from ebay for just shy of $500. they all seem to be about 550 or so, so i reckon that was a bargain too. apparently they sound better and give better low down performance anyway, which suits me well.

i need to courier the head and cam, and need the weight of the head (with cam). does ANYONE know the weight of a EF XR6 head with cam?? i have searched google for a good half hour now and cant find it anywhere...

if all else fails i will just put the maximum allowed weight for the courier which is 35kg, and hope that he takes it.

thanks again for all your input!

Shay

The first link for Ebay I posted was for new pacey's, $404.00 delivered and they were in VIC.

I can check with Joe at CMS tomorrow if I remember on the weight of the head.

Has the head been fitted to a car or is it fresh machined?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next