Fordmods Logo

which leads r best 

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Wagon, ph34r!

WA, Australia

The best setup would be a coil on plug system like what the BAs have since you don't have to worry about lead resistance at all then but I'm guessing it wouldn't be easy retrofitting such a system to an E-series :lol:

Team Argon Silver

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Eagle 11mm are good.

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:42 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL GT - T2 TS50

QLD, Australia

I had 8mm Bosch Leads on my EBV8 and they lasted 2 weeks......... so my opinion of them is not real good, Prior to that I put bosch onto my EL and it ran like a hairy bucket of s**t, they both have topguns on them now and dont have any drama's.

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:17 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

LSD wrote:
The best setup would be a coil on plug system like what the BAs have since you don't have to worry about lead resistance at all then but I'm guessing it wouldn't be easy retrofitting such a system to an E-series :lol:

I'm already checking this idea now. The best kind of leads to have are no leads at all! Ford 6's have really long leads wich cause voltage drop & unreliability.

I've got an EF so I think the wiring would be fairly easy. I would use the original coil pack wiring & fire the individual coils in pairs (EF uses 1 coil to fire 2 plugs at same time). Problem is, I can't get any of the BA coil specs from Ford dealers. All these dumb s**t's can say is, "they cost $140 each, & for the specifications, you'll have to speak to Ford"

I've been searching the internet for weeks now trying to find suitable coils to use, & information on primary resistance, dimentions and heat handeling abilitys. I'm not having much luck yet. Anyone got any ideas?

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

It would have to be in the workshop manual (the official Ford one, not the Gregories/Haynes/etc ones), perhaps one of the members who work at a dealership could hook you up? It sounds like an interesting mod to investigate and the coil pack engines would seem to be the ideal candidates for conversion since, from what I've been able to make out COP is basically an evolution of the coil pack design (instead of having the six coils in the one package you move them out closer to the spark plugs).

Team Argon Silver

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EB

VIC, Australia

im thinking the coil ova plug idea would be a big job on older e series cars .You would need a computer ,wireing ,knock sensors ,and every thing else but would be a good idea . R the 9mm leads going to make much difference ove the 8mm leads.

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Only on the dizzy equipped cars I'd imagine. It should be relatively simple on cars with coil pack ignition since most of the hardware's already there. All you're doing really is breaking the single monolithic coil pack into 6 individual coils and moving them closer to the plugs to reduce the effect of lead resistance.

Team Argon Silver

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2