Fordmods Logo

Which LPG system? 

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Which LPG system?
Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:12 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL

NSW, Australia

I'm thinking about converting the EL which has 97,000k's to LPG as the fuel price is killing me. I know there are a few different systems available eg Sprintgas ect, but I can't get a honest recomendation from the gas installers. What is the best for a auto EL and does the ECU need modifing for the LPG or do they just leave it alone. Thanks

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

everyone has there own personal reasons about which is the best system and which is s**t, i have the impco system which is really good, got it at a good price, i feel a little sorry to people who are installing them now with the install price, but yeah, you can have the best system in the market fitted and still have problems, only trouble ive found with aftermarket systems is that if u use the petrol gauge with aftermarket system ur not always going to have the best result as petrol.

My gas system has its own computer from memory

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Gas Research Australia, I chose them due to the venturi throttle body instead of stick a venturi ring in the intake - it seems like a much less restrictive method to me. Also because they offer a lot of information on there gear, on there website, and have a performance section, such as turbo LPG set ups and that which is where I'm looking to go next.

Post subject: gas research
Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:19 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Ive heard their systems are good but every one i rang says impco , sprintgas or some other doddgy sounding brand I havent heard of. Is gas research more expensive, so far Ive had quotes of $2300-$3000!

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:43 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Be cheaper in the long term to sell your 6cyl falcon now and buy a 4cyl car if fuel prices are already hitting your back pocket hard.

Most experts think that fuel prices across australia will average $2.00/litre by christmas this year.

If this happens Australia will start a trend like europe with everyone driving around in 4cyl cars...

V8's and 6cyl cars will probably only have a small share of the market place in australia if fuel gets this high.

Cheers.........

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

falcon4litreOHC wrote:
Be cheaper in the long term to sell your 6cyl falcon now and buy a 4cyl car if fuel prices are already hitting your back pocket hard.

A statement like that doesn't consider that the extra space offered by the large vehicle may be required for lugging crap around or a big family, also the power might be needed for towing a boat reguarly or suchin which case LPG is a better option.

Post subject: Re: gas research
Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

noabs wrote:
Ive heard their systems are good but every one i rang says impco , sprintgas or some other doddgy sounding brand I havent heard of. Is gas research more expensive, so far Ive had quotes of $2300-$3000!

The underbonnet kit only costs about 1200, plus the price of a tank and lines, so about the same.
You will find as with most things the mechanics you ring are unlikely to recomend the best gear, they will instead either recmend the stuff they sell like good salespeople should, or the stuff they are familiar with - have installed in the past, know how to tune, etc. Which isn't bnecesarily a bad thing as you want someone who is familiar with the particular product to set it up proper
If your interested in the GRA gear, go to there website and look up the recomended fitters, ring them for prices on GRA gear.

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:53 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

If you're mechanically minded, do the install yourself, but leave the pressure lines for the gas guy. Its safe, and saves you $$$. My kit on the EF last year cost me $750 odd, included the tank, all the pipes, extra EL parts, and of course the mixer and converter.

It can be done in a weekend if you're keen, and if you do it in the right order, your car is driveaable throughout the process.

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB SXR6 | ED XR8 Sprint

NSW, Australia

i know a guy who was guna install the impco system on my car for $1100. he doies fleet systems for combined cabs. he is situated near kograh. he is cheap and his work isnt the 'cleanest' job in town but at the end of the day your car will be on gas and u will be saving a s**t laod of $$. i ended up buying a car already on gas. if your interested pm me and ill search for his number.

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
falcon4litreOHC wrote:

A statement like that doesn't consider that the extra space offered by the large vehicle may be required for lugging crap around or a big family, also the power might be needed for towing a boat reguarly or suchin which case LPG is a better option.

that's exactly my situation!!!

Kograh is over 100k's from me,thanks anyway.

EBGizmo $750?, where can you but the parts from as I thought only installers could get hold of them?

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:45 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

Where I work, we deal with lpg all the time. But the parts aren't all that expensive anyway. $100 for a converter, $150 for mixer, $280 for second hand retested and dated tank. $100 for gas computer. $25 for pipes and hoses. $55 for gas guy to test. couple of bucks here and there for misc stuff.

Can't say who I got the parts off, as they preferred it that way, but if you shop around, its easy to find someone willing to accept tagging your car if they trust you are competant enough to install it.

The killing is in the labour, since it takes a few days to install it all. Drilling holes, routing pipes etc.

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:13 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: AU Falcon

SA, Australia

there are plenty of second hand systems out there if thats what you want or all your budget can afford, but if you have the serious money I have 2 words for you..... liquid injection! a new lpg system that uses about the same litres per 100k as ULP and you get more power to boot (average about 5Kw) do some research and look around, my personal preferance is for impco, most cabby's swear by them

98 AU Falcon Futura I6 ABS & Cruise stock (The Wifes car

99 AU Falcon Duel Fuel - Xcab

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

jim3964 wrote:
there are plenty of second hand systems out there if thats what you want or all your budget can afford, but if you have the serious money I have 2 words for you..... liquid injection! a new lpg system that uses about the same litres per 100k as ULP and you get more power to boot (average about 5Kw) do some research and look around, my personal preferance is for impco, most cabby's swear by them

If I had serious moey I would't be driving the old EL :D I have a Impco setup ,425 mixer and L series converter on a 351 but I'm not familar with the 6cyl setup's but like you said it's hard to go too wrong with Impco

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:47 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Ride: BA XR6T

VIC, Australia

jim3964 wrote:

how much for liquid injection? can this be fitted to ef/el's or only newer falcons?

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

are u sure they're liquid injection, i thought they were all vapour injection at the moment.

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next