Fordmods Logo

Which Oil do you use? 

Page 1 of 3 [ 32 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Which Oil do you use?
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Just curious too see what brands and what grades of oil people are using in their Falcons?

I generally use Penrite 15w/40 in my Futura that has 120,000km on the clock but the last that service I did I decided to try Castrol Magnatec 10w/40... I don't really know what to make of it though, is 10w/40 suitable for a 6cyl EL?

Post subject: Re: Which Oil do you use?
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Futura DUH

NSW, Australia

Penrite HPR10 10w-50 @ 5000km intervals. Used HPR30 20w-60 before rebuild.

1996 EF Futura factory manual
Fully rebuilt engine,Decked, Honed, Bored, Tolerences spot on, Wade 1673, Extractors, 2.5" zorst, 3" CAI, High flow filter, Exedy sports tuff clutch, Chiptorque tune.
Future Mods: A mortgage...

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:59 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

i also use penrite hpr10,10w50 synthetic...

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

What's the fascination with penrite? I know they have a good marketing department, but thats about it.

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

some of their grades that were previously semi synthetic are now fully synthetic, for the same price. Thats what keeps me using it in my ute. I use durablend in the twin cam though.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:37 pm 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

Penrite HPR 5 in both my cars. Been happy with it.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

low_ryda wrote:
some of their grades that were previously semi synthetic are now fully synthetic, for the same price. Thats what keeps me using it in my ute. I use durablend in the twin cam though.

Thier rep said the same. it still went up by about $5.00.

Has zinc now too.

Fully rebuilt engine,Decked, Honed, Bored, Tolerences spot on, Wade 1673, Extractors, 2.5" zorst, 3" CAI, High flow filter, Exedy sports tuff clutch, Chiptorque tune.

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

I just don't see how anyone can trust and oil company that latest marketing ploy was "the extra 10" trying to get people to believe that just by being thicker it was somehow better.

It's been proven time and time again through used oil analysis that it just not true.

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

To add to my comment, I do find HPR10 doesnt like longer service intervals (10,000km or so)
My latest change stretched out a little longer than usual (8k) and I swear it felt 100% better after a change. Too much difference for my liking if you get what I mean?

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:52 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Shell Helix Plus 15-50
or now known as:
Shell Helix HX7-K

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
I just don't see how anyone can trust and oil company that latest marketing ploy was "the extra 10" trying to get people to believe that just by being thicker it was somehow better.

It's been proven time and time again through used oil analysis that it just not true.

No better than... Magnetec... Pfft. I swear folks think it is actually magnetised..

Had to be one of the best names of all time though, from a marketing perspective.

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:14 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
What's the fascination with penrite? I know they have a good marketing department, but thats about it.

i know you dont like penrite..
ive used penrite for many years and cant complain, ive never had any issues with it, although i always change my oil and filter every 5000-7500km or 6 month..
prior to fitting my oil cooler i tried a few others like nulon synthetic, castrol magnatec and valvoline dura blend and found after a long drive with spirited driving, especially 1/4mile runs with the magnatec and nulon the oil pressure would drop well under 1 bar pressure and would appear to loose its viscosity, (magnatec was the worse). it would go black and stink only after a few thousand kms due to the heat from the turbo , so i went back to the penrite and found the hpr10 (when it was semi synthetic) would hold up better to the heat, oil pressre would still drop a bit under extreme heat but no where as low as it did with the others and didnt give off that old oil stink after a few thousand kms..

i did find the valvoline dura blend to be a damn good oil aswell, it almost held up to the the heat as good as the penrite had..

i have since fitted an oil cooler and there is a minimal drop in oil pressure under extreme heat compared to before, telling me that the oils were suffering from loss of viscosity from the heat...

and yes, there are much better oils out there, i just stuck with the penrite because it did a damn good job..

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

I use valvoline durablend . And change oil every 5000 km or 6 months

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:50 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

Castrol Edge Oil - 10W-60, I get it for $10 a litre, I know its a bit of a wank factor oil, but its a good oil and its in my price range for what I want to put in the car.

It gets changed every 5000kays. Being a weekend only car now, it may get done 6 monthly, just depends what comes up first.

Its only a windsor, but, I like to look after it the best I can.

I have a car.

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

I have been using Fuchs GT1 0W20. I was taking regular oil samples for analysis.
The results showed very little wear particle, and the oil was quite capable of 15 000km drain intervals. It would have comfortably gone to 20 000km with a filter change and top up at 10 000km.

I did it for two reasons, First to prove that the myth of thick=good is crap, and second to see if extended drain intervals could make the expansive oil cheaper in the long run.

I proved both.

I don't have no reason for not liking penrite, I have seen first hand a number of times, engines run on penrite developing sludge problems. Through researching the causes, I found it was penrites over use of viscosity index improvers that was the likely cause.

As far as I can see no one here actually has a real reason for liking the oil they use, aside from 'just because' or 'it seems to hold oil pressure' (viscosity index improvers at work).

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next