Fordmods Logo

Why am i overheating! 

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

Nah, brand new fan. I was thinking about replacing the radiator, and ended up snapping off one of the deaeriation hoses, so that will need a new tank on one side so i may as well do the lot. And yeah, over 40 kays an hour.Almost all new hoses 2 years ago, brand new lower hose, and the upper hose is only a few months old. Timing seems to be reasonably close, but the timing light wasnt too bright so ill have to look into another one.

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

Power: 221 rwkw

ACT, Australia

Andrew J- Mate i have a ED XR6 and i have replaced the clutch
for the fan and then my car was running hot about 2 months after i did this, so hot that it boiled and went in to limp home mod, i drove it the next night and it stuffed my water pump (this is about 3 weeks ago) so i replaced my water pump and radiator and now it runs cool as anything, it sits at about a 1/4 of the way up and doesnt get any hot even though it revs its tits off all the time.
But what you MUST check before you do anything else because it is prob covered in sht is inbetween the radiator and the A/C condensor as this can get blocked and if you look at it from the front of the car it will look fine,
so there will be a strip of rubber on the top of the radiator, just pull that off its like pulling the rubber off the doors, once you have done that undo your radiator at the top with to 15mm bolts, either use a 1/4drive or just use a spaner (gear renches would make it a 2 second job) anyway thats all you need to undo and then push your radiator back (towards the motor) and have a look at the front of it, it is prob got dirt and rubbish in front of it so just clean it out, this is why my car was running hot.
Check this and you never know
Griffo

ED XR6 manual for sale. MOMO steering wheel and alot of extra's. PM for more info.

BA XR6 Turbo- 238.8rwkw

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I removed the radiator and it is now free-r than ever. Havent driven it far so im not sure how it will go. It was overheating initially, hence why i replaced the waterpump, but that didnt solve it so i replaced the clutch for the fan. It was overheating before i changed it, so i doubt its that whats faulty! The fan definately sucks a lot more now than it used to.

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Your Spot Lights are going to make 2/3s of f**k all differance to the air flow through the radiator. Most of the air goes in through the vent in the bottom half of the bar. This is why they haven't been a problem before.
Even a 2 year old radiator may need professionally cleaning. In the six years I ownd my EA the radiator was cleaned twice and replaced once. About every 2 years.

I see you've removed the radiator and cleaned up in between the radiator and the condensor, was there a lot of crap in there? Many people seem to forget this area and a lot of dirt and crap in there will have far more effect on cooling than the spot lights ever will.

In the near future consider thermo fans, work out the amps you would be drawing and then look for a larger alternator if it looks like you will need it. Will be worth the effort in the long run.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Anyone want to buy a brand new clutch fan? :D

There wasnt a huge amount of stuff, but ill guess ill find out tonight how much of an impact it had. Ill let you all know friday night :D

Thanks for the help everyone

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2