Fordmods Logo

Why is my car blowing a s**t of grey smoke when cold? 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: Why is my car blowing a s**t of grey smoke when cold?
Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:26 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 1687

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 1994 ED Ricer

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

This has been happening for a while now, i had the valve stem seals replaced and when they did the springs they said it was holding good pressure in the cylinders. Its also only started happening when i had the ems 8860 put in. What happens is when i start it, it smokes a little bit from the exhaust, its grey-white in colour and it smells like oil. If i rev it up it smokes a rediculous amount! But after i drive it down the road about 5 minutes later it stops smoking and is fine agian. Until i turn it off and it cools down for about 8 hours(when i am at work), then it smokes agian :S

Does anyone have any ideas why? I checked the pcv valve and its sucking.. I have no ideas. Could it be the rings? Even tho the mechanic said ithe cyls are holding ok pressure?

Thanks for help as this is very embarrasing problem haah
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:44 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 30

Posts: 1063

Joined: 22nd Aug 2006

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: FG XR8, F6 F6 ute, XR5T, Capri

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

if it helps, on the last cruise carl, it had a blue-ish tinge to it too.

*edit* if it is the rings, i have an engine crane you can borrow... and a bore deglazer tool - kinda looks like a toilet brush :P
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:31 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 44

Posts: 251

Joined: 22nd Mar 2006

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EF XR6 manual

Location: S.E. Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Sounds like the exact same reason that I rebuilt my motor. Turns out that the motor had been cooked by previous owner and the oil rings had lost tension, bit of a headache but sounds to me like a rebuild or at least a quick re-ring is in need.


Ps. it's heaps embarrasing first thing in the morning driving past the bus stop with all of the school kids coughing on the smoke :oops: :oops: :?

 

_________________

EF XR6 5spd 14.57@97mph
154rwkwts

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Why is my car blowing a s**t of grey smoke when cold
Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6449

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

eed-250 wrote:
This has been happening for a while now, i had the valve stem seals replaced and when they did the springs they said it was holding good pressure in the cylinders. Its also only started happening when i had the ems 8860 put in. What happens is when i start it, it smokes a little bit from the exhaust, its grey-white in colour and it smells like oil. If i rev it up it smokes a rediculous amount! But after i drive it down the road about 5 minutes later it stops smoking and is fine agian. Until i turn it off and it cools down for about 8 hours(when i am at work), then it smokes agian :S

Does anyone have any ideas why? I checked the pcv valve and its sucking.. I have no ideas. Could it be the rings? Even tho the mechanic said ithe cyls are holding ok pressure?

Thanks for help as this is very embarrasing problem haah



it started happening when you put the aftermarket ECU in.
and go away when it hot.

points to the cold run side of the tunning..

 

_________________

PERMANENTLY BANNED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Why is my car blowing a s**t of grey smoke when cold
Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 40

Posts: 1780

Joined: 31st Jan 2005

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
eed-250 wrote:
This has been happening for a while now, i had the valve stem seals replaced and when they did the springs they said it was holding good pressure in the cylinders. Its also only started happening when i had the ems 8860 put in. What happens is when i start it, it smokes a little bit from the exhaust, its grey-white in colour and it smells like oil. If i rev it up it smokes a rediculous amount! But after i drive it down the road about 5 minutes later it stops smoking and is fine agian. Until i turn it off and it cools down for about 8 hours(when i am at work), then it smokes agian :S

Does anyone have any ideas why? I checked the pcv valve and its sucking.. I have no ideas. Could it be the rings? Even tho the mechanic said ithe cyls are holding ok pressure?

Thanks for help as this is very embarrasing problem haah



it started happening when you put the aftermarket ECU in.
and go away when it hot.

points to the cold run side of the tunning..



i run microtech and have the same thing going on at the moment as i haven't had time to drop the car off at the tuner. needs to fine tune the cold start/run maps.

sounds like you could have the same drama's.

is it using oil? if your rings are had it or stem seals worn you would notice excess oil usage one would think.

 

_________________

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Why is my car blowing a s**t of grey smoke when cold
Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 1687

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 1994 ED Ricer

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
eed-250 wrote:
This has been happening for a while now, i had the valve stem seals replaced and when they did the springs they said it was holding good pressure in the cylinders. Its also only started happening when i had the ems 8860 put in. What happens is when i start it, it smokes a little bit from the exhaust, its grey-white in colour and it smells like oil. If i rev it up it smokes a rediculous amount! But after i drive it down the road about 5 minutes later it stops smoking and is fine agian. Until i turn it off and it cools down for about 8 hours(when i am at work), then it smokes agian :S

Does anyone have any ideas why? I checked the pcv valve and its sucking.. I have no ideas. Could it be the rings? Even tho the mechanic said ithe cyls are holding ok pressure?

Thanks for help as this is very embarrasing problem haah



it started happening when you put the aftermarket ECU in.
and go away when it hot.

points to the cold run side of the tunning..


cheers for the replys guys.
tickford 6, I dont understand? Could you please explain how changing an ecu would cause the engine to smoke big time at start up?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:19 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6449

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

if the feuling is wrong (in most cases it is because every one wants a peak power number and isn't willing to pay the tunner the time needed to get the rest of the tune perfect)

the excess feul will wash the bores and cause the engine to burn more oil.
the problem was there all the time, but the bad tune has made it more obvious

 

_________________

PERMANENTLY BANNED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 1687

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 1994 ED Ricer

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

sounds fair to me mate.
thanks for your help!
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:52 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 44

Posts: 251

Joined: 22nd Mar 2006

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EF XR6 manual

Location: S.E. Melbourne
VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
if the feuling is wrong (in most cases it is because every one wants a peak power number and isn't willing to pay the tunner the time needed to get the rest of the tune perfect)

the excess feul will wash the bores and cause the engine to burn more oil.
the problem was there all the time, but the bad tune has made it more obvious



could thiis problem also occur with a standard ecu?? cos when i pulled the pistons from mine , the piston crowns had a definate "washed" look to them. But we put that down to poor ring seal. now that its been rebuilt, no more smoking issues, but i'm having problems with cold idle. (ISC ??)

 

_________________

EF XR6 5spd 14.57@97mph
154rwkwts

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:24 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names