Fordmods Logo

why?? 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: why??
Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 35

Posts: 820

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: falcon

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

my ef futura is generally running well... just heats up real quick, as in i have heeeeaps of power (it seems) when the car is coldish, but when it gets to running temp, it runs like a dog! also, i dunno about this but basically if i open the engine bay and get someone to start the car the fans arnt on till the car has been driven a fair bit and even then they dont spin that fast? there is two fans if that makes sense?

when its cold my car kills my mates el fairmont from the line also, which i found weird?

 

_________________

Team Cant Stop the Doof Doof

cubic inches - holdens excuse for old technology

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:45 pm 
Site Admin
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 8831

Joined: 18th Dec 2002

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

probably a faulty thermo fan relay or 2.

Your ECU diagnostics should return codes for faulty thermo fan relays.

 

_________________

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 35

Posts: 820

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: falcon

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

hmmm easy to fix? obviously i cant diagnose my own ecu (i am pretty much just trying to learn engine s**t at the moment forgive my ignorance)

 

_________________

Team Cant Stop the Doof Doof

cubic inches - holdens excuse for old technology

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:51 pm 
Site Admin
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 8831

Joined: 18th Dec 2002

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

have a read of the EEC-V diagnostic page. It really isnt hard to do.

The relays are easy to change. EF have 4, EL have 3. A full set of relays for an EL are ~$45 from ford. I'm sure they could be sourced cheaper from elsewhere.

They relays are enclosed in a box infront of your Airbox.

 

_________________

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 35

Posts: 820

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: falcon

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

waggin your a scholar and a saint! thanks dude. i'll have a look-see.

 

_________________

Team Cant Stop the Doof Doof

cubic inches - holdens excuse for old technology

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 8655

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

Location: Adelaide CBD
SA, Australia

And he's many other things :wink:

Interested to hear more about the performance between hot and cold engine tho.

I know EEC (like any EFI system) will increase fuel delivery when the engine is cold, like a choke for EFI systems. But i would have thought that the cars run so rich that dumping even more fuel would be detremental to performance....

Perhaps the heat is interfering with the ignition system?

 

_________________

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 35

Posts: 820

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: falcon

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
And he's many other things :wink:

Interested to hear more about the performance between hot and cold engine tho.

I know EEC (like any EFI system) will increase fuel delivery when the engine is cold, like a choke for EFI systems. But i would have thought that the cars run so rich that dumping even more fuel would be detremental to performance....

Perhaps the heat is interfering with the ignition system?


i have no idea.. but i know i can quite easily spin them in the dry when cold (twin spin) but when warm/hot no chance in hell unless going around a corner.

my temp sits between a and r on depending on the day's temp... when hot

until it gets to a, it hammers, after that, its allll over


he he he i love quick trips to the shops!

 

_________________

Team Cant Stop the Doof Doof

cubic inches - holdens excuse for old technology

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:01 pm 
Site Admin
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 8831

Joined: 18th Dec 2002

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

extra heat in the engine bay would see intake temps go up. Higher intake, less dense air, EEC reduces fuel = less performance.

there's also the fact that your spark plugs could be breaking down under the high temps.

 

_________________

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 35

Posts: 820

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: falcon

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

Waggin wrote:
extra heat in the engine bay would see intake temps go up. Higher intake, less dense air, EEC reduces fuel = less performance.

there's also the fact that your spark plugs could be breaking down under the high temps.


brand new sparkies and leads (and that i am very very proud of, why the f**k did they put the dizzy under the intake manifold (think thats what its called!!))

 

_________________

Team Cant Stop the Doof Doof

cubic inches - holdens excuse for old technology

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:07 pm 
Site Admin
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 8831

Joined: 18th Dec 2002

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

yeh, but depending on the temperature range of spark plugs, the warmer plugs will break down at lower temps... so if you've just got stock/cheap plugs in there, it could explain the performance drop.

if this wasnt the case, people wouldnt spend $40/plug on super cold plugs :P

 

_________________

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 35

Posts: 820

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: falcon

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

Waggin wrote:
yeh, but depending on the temperature range of spark plugs, the warmer plugs will break down at lower temps... so if you've just got stock/cheap plugs in there, it could explain the performance drop.

if this wasnt the case, people wouldnt spend $40/plug on super cold plugs :P


i brought a brandname i cant remember, but they werent cheap, starts with a i think??

 

_________________

Team Cant Stop the Doof Doof

cubic inches - holdens excuse for old technology

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 8655

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

Location: Adelaide CBD
SA, Australia

distortion wrote:
Waggin wrote:
extra heat in the engine bay would see intake temps go up. Higher intake, less dense air, EEC reduces fuel = less performance.

there's also the fact that your spark plugs could be breaking down under the high temps.


brand new sparkies and leads (and that i am very very proud of, why the f**k did they put the dizzy under the intake manifold (think thats what its called!!))


*cough* coil packs...

Good explanation brad. Do most Falcs lose *that* much power with engine temp? I spose it knocks a fair bit of advance out of the spark as well.

So distortion - hows the cooling system? Radiator blocked to the s**t?

Lol @ cold plugs, all that money and i still have to regap the buggers on mine :wink:

 

_________________

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 35

Posts: 820

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: falcon

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

ok well whatever they are called it was a pain in the a** to install the leads... had to do it from under the car!!!!

radiator has just had a flush, and checked for pressure was fine....

 

_________________

Team Cant Stop the Doof Doof

cubic inches - holdens excuse for old technology

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 35

Posts: 820

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: falcon

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

can anyone provide any information on putting these relay buggers in?

 

_________________

Team Cant Stop the Doof Doof

cubic inches - holdens excuse for old technology

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: why??
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:33 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 258

Joined: 9th Dec 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL falcon - Skyline r33

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

distortion wrote:
my ef futura is generally running well... just heats up real quick, as in i have heeeeaps of power (it seems) when the car is coldish, but when it gets to running temp, it runs like a dog! also, i dunno about this but basically if i open the engine bay and get someone to start the car the fans arnt on till the car has been driven a fair bit and even then they dont spin that fast? there is two fans if that makes sense?

when its cold my car kills my mates el fairmont from the line also, which i found weird?


My car is the same.
when its running at normal temp its not as powerful , Need a better cooling system. let me know what you do to fix the problem.

 

_________________

It's set up like a deck of cards, They're sending us to early graves. For all the diamonds, they'll use a pair of clubs to beat the spades.

RATM

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:22 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names