will porting the straight through side of bbm have neg affec 

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

rushed wrote:
you know its bad if there is a pool of oil in the bottom of the runners, when i pulled the manifold of my old "VERY" dead motor there was alot of oil in there o.0

i didnt gut the lower section, only do that if you are going to turbo (fyi xr6 turbs have no butterflys there). as i said i polished the six trumpet looking bits where the butterflys are, and just deburred and lightly smoothed the rest of it.

if youve got it apart its not to hard to just give it a small once over in the butterfly section, all depends on where you want to go in the future :)

ive got some pics around here somewhere ill see if i can find tomorrow.

If you fit the later AU PCV valve ( the Grey one ), it will cut down on how much oil is going into the intake manifold.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

NSW, Australia

awesome ,
do the butterflys need oil ?
i am planing on a catch can so no oil goes in the bbm,
i was going to put a breather straight where the rear pipe {the one that conectected to the throttle body} connects to the r/cover and replace pcv with one too.
but i think it will be a fire risk so no go,
plus ther is no point polishing and adding shiney bits to your engine if oil mist gets thrown into the mixture from time to time.
they look cool but :wink:

Post subject: Re: will porting the straight through side of bbm have neg affec
Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:42 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU SR Wagon

QLD, Australia

Mystro do you know what a catch can is and importantly do you know what it is for ? I can tell you this it,s not to empty your wallet on Saturday morning when you buy one!! and its not because every one talks about having one cause they look really cool, especially with the anodized fittings and braided hoses ( if you can afford them ) Its to run your positive crankcase ventilation pipes into so the oily mist from within can travel into the CATCH CAN and not into your BBM (Big Bad Manifold) the CATCH CAN has a breather attached to the top of it so as to relieve pressure that would built up if it wasn,t there ( breather that is ) while catching most of the solids which in this case is oil droplets that are carried into the can from the oily mist that has traveled from within, thru the pipes and into the CATCH CAN !!!!! No fire hazard ! Great !!!!! Job done ! Mystro its great to see guys like you, me and all that come in here learning about the toys we love by other peoples willingness to share their knowledge and experiences on different related topics. I learnt something along time ago ( s**t I am old !! ) that if you don't know something that you wanna know about just ask, cause amongst us all we can answer just about any question that could ever be asked !!! about FORDS I mean, not about women or the chicken and the egg etc etc etc. Blah Blah Blah Hope I haven't offended you mate. I,m going to go see my shrink now cause that has really screwed with my con-rod and bent my spanner.OOOoooo head ache !!! Oh thats rite !!! the moral to all of this Sigmund fraud s**t is, its better to shut up and let em all guess than to open ya mouth and let em all know that, you don't know what the #$@! your talking about !!!!!!! :oops:

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

pretty sure catch cans with breathers are illegal and a waste of time. You want the can between the rocker cover outlet and the manifold... opening this to atmosphere will simply make your Positive Crankcase Ventilation system into an open air breather & give you a vacuum leak.

I run a closed can in all my fords and run a breather into the rocker cover to allow cross flow without pushing oil back into the inlet duct.

Unless your dipstick is blowing itself out I wouldn't consider oil in the inlet a bad thing. Then you would have more to worry about than an oily manifold.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:23 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Stinger56 wrote:
Mystro do you know what a catch can is and importantly do you know what it is for ? I can tell you this it,s not to empty your wallet on Saturday morning when you buy one!! and its not because every one talks about having one cause they look really cool, especially with the anodized fittings and braided hoses ( if you can afford them ) Its to run your positive crankcase ventilation pipes into so the oily mist from within can travel into the CATCH CAN and not into your BBM (Big Bad Manifold) the CATCH CAN has a breather attached to the top of it so as to relieve pressure that would built up if it wasn,t there ( breather that is ) while catching most of the solids which in this case is oil droplets that are carried into the can from the oily mist that has traveled from within, thru the pipes and into the CATCH CAN !!!!! No fire hazard ! Great !!!!! Job done ! Mystro its great to see guys like you, me and all that come in here learning about the toys we love by other peoples willingness to share their knowledge and experiences on different related topics. I learnt something along time ago ( s**t I am old !! ) that if you don't know something that you wanna know about just ask, cause amongst us all we can answer just about any question that could ever be asked !!! about FORDS I mean, not about women or the chicken and the egg etc etc etc. Blah Blah Blah Hope I haven't offended you mate. I,m going to go see my shrink now cause that has really screwed with my con-rod and bent my spanner.OOOoooo head ache !!! Oh thats rite !!! the moral to all of this Sigmund fraud s**t is, its better to shut up and let em all guess than to open ya mouth and let em all know that, you don't know what the #$@! your talking about !!!!!!! :oops:

F... Me This thread is 4 years old. THREAD MINER

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Stinger56 wrote:

Heavily medicated?

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

obviously not as much as me.. I replied :?

My excuse is I'm under medicated.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2