wondering engine temp 

Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

ok thanks for that.

so i guess that means all the ef/el to au thermostats are interchangable?

might have to move my a** and go buy one and get it done on the weekend...

So its an AU 92 degree thermostat with gasket... nothing else to ad? and maybe some new coolant, should probably just change that while im there, i think its fairly old. should i use ford coolant? or is any coolant ok?

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Gaz wrote:
ok thanks for that.

so i guess that means all the ef/el to au thermostats are interchangable?

might have to move my a** and go buy one and get it done on the weekend...

So its an AU 92 degree thermostat with gasket... nothing else to ad? and maybe some new coolant, should probably just change that while im there, i think its fairly old. should i use ford coolant? or is any coolant ok?

I personally only use Ford Coolant.

If you don't know what coolant is in your car make sure you give it a real good flush out before replacing coolant. Mixing differant coolants is a bad thing.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

awesome, will do, try and get this done this week or next..

just a few follow up questions... sorry they will end soon!

the radiator hose that goes from the tank to the radiator hasnt been replaced before, so its now 9 years and 120,000km old, should that be replaced? most of the others have been replaced when the radiator got blocked.

now the cooling system is 16 litres, so how much coolant would i need, and what ratio water mix etc?

as for flushing it, drop the coolant, fill with water? give it a quick run and drop that?

last of all, any rough estimates of what $$ im looking at?
thermostat+gasket
coolant
hose? if it needs to be done?

thanks for your answers itll stop soon ;)

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Gaz wrote:
awesome, will do, try and get this done this week or next..

just a few follow up questions... sorry they will end soon!

the radiator hose that goes from the tank to the radiator hasnt been replaced before, so its now 9 years and 120,000km old, should that be replaced? most of the others have been replaced when the radiator got blocked.

now the cooling system is 16 litres, so how much coolant would i need, and what ratio water mix etc?

as for flushing it, drop the coolant, fill with water? give it a quick run and drop that?

last of all, any rough estimates of what $$ im looking at?
thermostat+gasket
coolant
hose? if it needs to be done?

thanks for your answers itll stop soon ;)

If the hose feels ok I'd leave it alone, that's the hot side of the radiator and the plastic tank gets very brittle theres a good chance you will snap part off the tank that the hose goes onto.

I flush the coolant with a garden hose connected to a heater hose after removing the thermostat and reconnecting the thermostat housing. During flushing I fill the system up and dump it, several times. I do this with a cold engine.

Ratio depends on whether you need anti-boil/anti-freeze or just corrosion inhibitor. For most people living in the cities anti-boil/anti-freeze is not required unless you are going to the snow or out into the desert.

I use 1 litre bottle of Motorcraft R1-50 (pink) original, anti-corrosion only. $35

If you want anti-boil/anti-freeze then Motorcraft R1-32/33.

should cost about $50 all up depending on the coolant you chose to buy.

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Hilux

VIC, Australia

I personally dont really like the Ford R150 pink coolant. Ford had a few problems in the EF/L's with it. You could actually see the white writing on the hoses turning red. I am using the "latest" (been out for about 3 yrs) ford coolant which is R161, 3.6ltrs is concentrate enough to make the 16 or so litres for a falcon.
I flushed my system and ran water in it for 2 days then flushed it again and filled it up. Have no cooling problems. My ED temp guage sits on the "o" of normal on the sports dash. so about a 1/4.
This may even be a little cool im not sure, what do you guys think?

Now driving a Hilux

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Leroy wrote:
I personally dont really like the Ford R150 pink coolant. Ford had a few problems in the EF/L's with it. You could actually see the white writing on the hoses turning red. I am using the "latest" (been out for about 3 yrs) ford coolant which is R161, 3.6ltrs is concentrate enough to make the 16 or so litres for a falcon.
I flushed my system and ran water in it for 2 days then flushed it again and filled it up. Have no cooling problems. My ED temp guage sits on the "o" of normal on the sports dash. so about a 1/4.
This may even be a little cool im not sure, what do you guys think?

I've been using it R1-50 for about 6 years, never had a problem with it. Originally it was recommended to me by a mate who worked in a radiator shop. Yes it does stain, the lettering on the hoses will turn pink if the coolant gets on the outside! Never seen it happen without a leak. Great for finding leaks Lol.

Now you would think if Ford had so many problems with it they would have withdrawn it from sale! It remains 1 of three coolants Ford have in their range that are still recommended for use.

But yes nothing wrong with R1-61

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:53 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EF Futura

QLD, Australia

i have a coolant problem now...and the problem is a lack of it.
the plastic tank over near the air box (but still in the radiator) had been leaking, although we didnt know where the leak was at the time, and yesterday i noticed alot of coolant was burning (steam n smell) so i pulled over, turned the car off as it got to just over half way hot and its normally quite low on heat since au3 snorkel was put on and then i turned the car off and popped the bonnet, when i got 2 the front of the car it just dumped all the coolant everywhere....5 litres of water later we were able to find the leak/crack.
*prays thats its only the tank cracked and not the whole radiator*
i was told if its just the tank i should be up for around $200 to have it replaced but if the radiator is gone i will be up for like $600....is that about right?

au3xr8 snorkel
pioneer head unit
4 way pioneer 6x9's
tinting

soon to come...
superlows with new shox
full exhaust system with pacies
wheels (YAY! finally get rid of the hub caps)

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Hilux

VIC, Australia

seems expensive for a radiator

Now driving a Hilux

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

ok bout to go out and buy this stuff...

from the parts database should i get the
AUC8575A thermostat AU (like someone said)
or the
ART 92G Thermostat 92' EF (and others?) and stick with the one they say is for the ef?

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB2

VIC, Australia

will the au thermostat fit on eb,s if there alot better will change it.

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:07 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

mattie wrote:
i have a coolant problem now...and the problem is a lack of it.
i was told if its just the tank i should be up for around $200 to have it replaced but if the radiator is gone i will be up for like $600....is that about right?

No it's not. $600 is a rip off!!! Does that include labour for them to pull it out and replace / coolant etc??? It'd want to for that price :shock:
I was quoted $300 for a new "plastic tanked 2core". I went for a new "3core, brass tanked High Performance radiator" with 2 year warranty, it only cost me $360 6 months ago. Made by Natra, who make the originals. Go to any Natrad shop.
If you really want to save, you can change the tanks yourself. It's not hard at all. Undo the tabs all around then relace with a new gasket and tank. Radiator shops sell them.

Gaz wrote:
ok bout to go out and buy this stuff...

from the parts database should i get the
AUC8575A thermostat AU (like someone said)
or the
ART 92G Thermostat 92' EF (and others?) and stick with the one they say is for the ef?

I'd stick with the EF one if that's what Ford say.

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

well the ordeal is almost over lol, went down to fraud just before it closed, made it with 5 mins to spare!

got coolant, au thermostat and gasket (for the thermostat!)

he seemed to miss the idea when i asked for the thermostat houseing gasket!! this was gonna be bad!

after f**k around trying to find the drain plug, and it just not being there! recalled we got the radiator replaced awhile back that i forgot about so assumed it wasnt there, just pulled the bottom hose off and got to work, flushed that out, took thermostat out, no degree marking on the old one.. (apart from 1956, wouldnt suprise me if it was when it was made!!) then went oh f**k, the git gave me the rubber gasket for the thermostat and not the housing gasket, fraud being closed off to another shop, gasket goo was the best we could do so, home again, goo the housing up and bolt it back on, now just sitting around waiting for the goo to heal, (giving it about 2 hours to be safe) then will fill it up and start praying... simple things turned hard !

we chose the au thermostat as they looked very similar and the guy should it wouldnt do any harm, so we figured give it a shot as the ef one wasnt doing proud.

and now the waiting game..

Last edited by Gaz on Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

My wondering engine temp was fixed very easy. Know the cause of it too. I changed the thermostat which fixed it but before I changed itm it fixed itself.
The car hadn't been driven much for 5 months and the crap in the coolant (sludge) made the thermostat open at an angle causing the temp to rise and then pressure built up and it opened fully allowing it to cool again.
I had only done short trips in the car because it was temp wondering but I drove it for about 100kms one day and it cleared the crap out and stopped wondering. I changed the thermostat and replaced the coolant so it wouldnt do it again.

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

well, we filled it up and took it for a quick drive, the needle still just makes it to the M but not to the L... diagnostics says it makes it to about 97 i think, so guess thatll have to do for now.

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL GHIA

SA, Australia

EBAY has new radiators for EF/EL for :

$150 - Aluminium core/plastic tanks or
$160 - they state 32mm core as opossed to standard 25mm & looks like copper core & brass tanks

anyone purchased and fitted -- any good?

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next