worthwhile buying shocks? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: worthwhile buying shocks?
Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

ok cars a xr6, ive lowered it with springs and ive been told from various shops that once its lowered it should have short shocks fitted to reduce double bounce.
just wanna see if anyone has done it before and what pros and cons they got from it
thanks

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Post subject: Re: worthwhile buying shocks?
Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

i thought the only reason for the short travel shocks was so the spring wont fall out when the shock is extended.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

they say that when you lower the car the standard shock is half compressed, and that causes it to be half as effective, so using the shorter shocks fixes this. but this is what ive been told from the shops how sure how effective and true it is

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Better then average chance if you dont run shorter shocks when you lower a car you will bottom out on the shocks internal bumpstop causing a s**t ride.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ok so who has a lowered BA, and has fitted shocks to it AFTER they lowered it, and what difference did you notice.

the brand im using is a generic brand, called ultima or something, they have the same internals as konies

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

Benny D wrote:
i thought the only reason for the short travel shocks was so the spring wont fall out when the shock is extended.

you lose.

when your car is lowered a decent amount you have more of a chance of bottoming out your shocks/hitting bump stops

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

i know the car does touch, not rest, touch. the bump stops (rubber ones on the rear arms & front shocks). well im planning on buying the rear ones pretty soon, ill fit em and see how it goes. only thing im worried about is if the ride is gonna be mega firm, causing it to slip more in the wet and feel every single bump on the road.

BA XR6
some of my main mods

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]