Fordmods Logo

WOT is the CORRECT DYNO READING ??????????? 

Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: WOT is the CORRECT DYNO READING ???????????
Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

hi

just thought i mite stir the pot a little here just to see WOT peoples thoughts are on engine dynamometers and chassis dynamometers

Its amazing how many dyno manufactures there are in the world :?: but yet talk to anyone of them manufactures and they all quote different engine drive tran losses

chassis dynamometers are a classic :idea: they all meassure rear wheel power and have there owm method of calculating back to flywheel power
they all have a different conversion factor :?: :?: :?: WHO IS RIGHT :!: :!:

Lets forget about the conversion factor for the momment thats another cettle of fish all together :cry:

the most common chassis dyno(s) in australia are DTS , mainline and dyno dynamics speak to all three of these manufactures and they all bag each other

Drive a same vehicle on each of these dynos you will get 3 different readings so who is correct and remember a base entry to buy anyone of of these chassis dynos starts at $500000 australian dollars and i failed to mention PLUS GST :shock:

cya

WANTED - Complete BTr4 and zf 6hp26 automatic transmission 6 cylinder and V8 transmission(s) suit rebuild? Drop me a PM if you can help would be greatly appreciated - thanks

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Surf, Turbo Diesel

VIC, Australia

dyno 1 + dyno 2 + dyno 3
______________________ = Correct Reading

Post subject: LOL
Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

chunkz wrote:
dyno 1 + dyno 2 + dyno 3

LOL :wink: some how i dont think it works that way

LOL :idea:

cya

WANTED - Complete BTr4 and zf 6hp26 automatic transmission 6 cylinder and V8 transmission(s) suit rebuild? Drop me a PM if you can help would be greatly appreciated - thanks

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

I think it is more to do with operators tweaking the output than the dyno itself. Find an honest dyno and use it for all your tuning and it doesnt matter what all the others read.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:55 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

chunkz, all you get from that equation is the average of three values of unknown reliability/accuracy.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

chunkz wrote:
dyno 1 + dyno 2 + dyno 3

did you guess that or did someone tell you?

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:05 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

with so many variations between dyno and conditions..

it is more than fair to say that they are not really much use for getting to much info from other than admitting they are a great tuning tool..

the diffence between X,Y and Z and then the other variations that need to be take into account..

Dyno readings mean squat at the end of the day..
the only way to tell it the smile on your dial the ¼ mile times or track times..

look at this series that is traveling round with a dyno dynamics dyno.. they take the same dyno to each event the same cars with the same specs have run on it and have shown variances of upto 35kw's.

liken that to say a torque wrench, that would be that the same wrench on any given day would be of different poundage to what it was the previous day.. but you don't know what that poundage is, was the correct poundage measured last time or this time..

in short and end of rant..

to much variance exsists between dyno's and manufactures to class dynos as anything more effective than a tuning tool.

I have a car.

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:06 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 6 images

NSW, Australia

they are realy only a tunning toll to provide repeatable conditions

777rwkws on 39psi with an old eb sohc, going for 7s...........

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

chunkz wrote:
dyno 1 + dyno 2 + dyno 3

If you want to go down this road.... sumtimes this method is quite accurate (sometimes) to calculate how precise (not accurate :D) these readings are you calculate the uncertainty which is "(highest - lowest)/"how many readings". so basically the more times you test theoratically the uncertainty would be very low....

so you would then end up with something like this....

dyno 1 + dyno 2 + dyno 3
______________________ "plus or minus" Uncertainty = Correct Reading

P.S basically the uncertainty is the degree of how precise the data is,....

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL Fairmont

SA, Australia

eb six on boost wrote:
they are realy only a tunning toll to provide repeatable conditions

Good to see somone with an idea...

Dyno = tuning tool, NAUGHT MORE

Soo many idiots. So few bullets

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ford au wagon 4.0 na

Power: 170 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I must disagree with everyone here. I believe dynos are great sales tools.

If I decide to sell the wagon I will be heading back up to my mates at Croydons because they give great numbers and then I can have that as a selling point.

14.77 @92.71mph July 06 14.52@95.68mph July 07 14.241 96.7 MPH in a shoebox/taxi au ford wagon!!Bwahahah still cant believe it!!!

Post subject: LOL seems people mis-read the question
Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
with so many variations between dyno and conditions..

it is more than fair to say that they are not really much use for getting to much info from other than admitting they are a great tuning tool..

the diffence between X,Y and Z and then the other variations that need to be take into account..

Dyno readings mean squat at the end of the day..
the only way to tell it the smile on your dial the ¼ mile times or track times..

look at this series that is traveling round with a dyno dynamics dyno.. they take the same dyno to each event the same cars with the same specs have run on it and have shown variances of upto 35kw's.

liken that to say a torque wrench, that would be that the same wrench on any given day would be of different poundage to what it was the previous day.. but you don't know what that poundage is, was the correct poundage measured last time or this time..

in short and end of rant..

to much variance exsists between dyno's and manufactures to class dynos as anything more effective than a tuning tool.

hi

question :?:

if i purchase a 24 carrot gold ring for $50000 + gst whot i expect to get for my money ? :wink:

answer

a . 9 carrot ring
b . 14 carrot ring
c . 19 carrot ring
d . 24 carrot ring

phone a friend
ask the audince
50 / 50

we all know a chassis dyno is a great tuning tool but that wasnt my question i ask in the first posting :wink: :idea:

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA

QLD, Australia

USELESS wrote:

If I decide to sell the wagon I will be heading back up to my mates at Croydons because they give great numbers and then I can have that as a selling point.

and how many buyers really give a rats a*** about dyno results,,they just want to know if it runs and how quick it gets to 100k's,,and to most people dyno results can be bodgied to suit the occasion,,,there just a tuning tool and thats it

NO ONE DIES A VIRGIN AS LIFE SCREWS US ALL

Post subject: PMSFL pay peanuts u get monkeys
Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

pepsimax wrote:
USELESS wrote:

and how many buyers really give a rats a*** about dyno results,,they just want to know if it runs and how quick it gets to 100k's,,and to most people dyno results can be bodgied to suit the occasion,,,there just a tuning tool and thats it

LOL

again u missed the question

im certainly interested and remember we are not talking peanuts we are talking alot of money

wander if you where on life support system would ur attitude be who cares if the heart monitor is reading 98 beats per minute or if its reading 128 beats per minute

remember its a technical peice of equipment( chassis dyno ) and people are paying extremely high prices for that test equipment so for my money i would want to know why they all read different :idea: :wink: IS THERE A STANDARD THAT THE DYNOS HAVE TO MEET :!: :!: :!:

cya

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA

QLD, Australia

as i said,,and i'm not replying to your original post just what useless wrote,,how many buyers really give a toss about dyno results,,to most people there s**t.

NO ONE DIES A VIRGIN AS LIFE SCREWS US ALL

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 4  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next