Fordmods Logo

Would it be worth it to install EF intake into EL? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Would it be worth it to install EF intake into EL?
Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:19 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 97 Falcon EL GLi

VIC, Australia

Hi,

I was just wondering that the EF dual pipe intake is better than the EL one and that if its worth installing it? I know the EF lid is much better than EL/AU ones.

From Autospeed article on the effectiveness of each of the airbox lids

Quote:
"This is a much better flowing design than the AU box. The flow with the filter fitted was 110 cfm, up over the AU box by a very substantial 18 per cent! Even more importantly, the filter caused only a 3 per cent flow decrease, rather than the 17 per cent decrease that occurred when the same filter was fitted to the AU box. This is probably because the outlet duct draws from the centre of the filter rather than one end of the box, in addition to its bigger final diameter. It would therefore appear that swapping an EF lid onto your brand new AU Falcon can improve box airflow by 18 per cent!"

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:35 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL XR6

Power: 141 rwkw

NSW, Australia

mate probably not worth your while doin that. A better idea would to get an AU XR8 snorkel and fit that to your standard air box. theres a doco on it and apparently its got a larger intake area. I think there roun $20 from ford
then again if u wanted to improve it not just for airflow but for looks as well you could go for mandrel bent intake for less than $200

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Yeah if you could get one for free it may be worth it - i wouldnt spend a buck on it tho.

XR8 snorkel is sound advice - somewhere around the $35 mark.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

VIC, Australia

check xr8dismantler, he has them for $32 a piece for fordmods members. he's out in ferntree gully so i dunno if thats local for u

2003 BA XR6T 5spd Manual PHANTOM
Custom Leather, 20" Kaotiks, Lowered, Exhaust, DVD System, BOV
Plenty more to come!

Member: Team Can't Stop The Doof Doof

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:15 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

i've been told the EL's are better than the EF intakes - i've got an EL on my EF, and very happy with it. smaller, direct pipe, rather than the big sweeping intake from std EF's.

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:19 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ed futura

WA, Australia

im with ugly

www.thepurplecircle.com
original member.

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

uglybob wrote:
i've been told the EL's are better than the EF intakes - i've got an EL on my EF, and very happy with it. smaller, direct pipe, rather than the big sweeping intake from std EF's.

Bob sells the tools you need for the snorkle conversion also, give him a pm!! :P

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:41 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 97 Falcon EL GLi

VIC, Australia

Thanks for all the replies, But i already installed the AU3 XR8 snorkel on the EL. Just was wondering if the EF intake was better. Probably just keep to the EL one and just looking for a EF Airbox Cover now.

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL XR6 5spd

The main gain mentioned in that article is from the EF airbox lid, which contains a bit extra pipe and draws air from the middle of the airbox.
As far as I know the dual runner EF manifold isnt the thing to have given a choice.

EL XR6 5spd

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:51 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Ed falcon

NSW, Australia

The XR snorkle does Jack all yes it's bigger in the mouth but it's the same diametre to the air box. EF XR8 snorkle is actualy bigger in the mouth than a AUXR one. you'd be better off using a bit ag pipe ducted under the gard to the bumper or going for an ss indution I've notice good gains using them on every falcon I've fitted one to. EF lids are the better one to go for just cut the rubber tube out because it tappers down to a smaller diametre, I'm using the AU bend then I had a metal tube bent up between the bend and air box, the el bend is too sharp creates turbulance in air flow.

HSV I JUST BEAT ONE !

AFF 05 NSW DYNO DAY STATE CHAMP

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Someone mentioned using that silver tube stuff from bunnings and running it down to the bottom of the bumper seems like an easy cheap mod for good airflow - is this likely to work and it was also mentioned about water intake from the road/rain - is this likely to happen and if so, what would the consequences be?

Also, how would one attach it to the intake box - is there an easy way or what about using an old snorkel, cut it up and just leave an inch or so where it connects to the intake box and glue the silver tubing to it - assuming you can get the tube the correct diameter......

Would it be a good idea to put mesh around the opening too - to minimise rocks or other debris getting sucked up and into the air filter, or do you think the air filter is enough protection?

Sorry if it seems like stupid questions - just trying to learn a bit here - as I've said before, I fix PC's, not cars but wanna learn more.

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL XR6 5spd

I think you should avoid putting the ducting too low. I remember someone mentioned on the forums once they had killed an engine after scooping some stupid amount of water into it going through a puddle.

It seems ducting from the break vents (assume EF/EL) has been done many times without problem though.
Just remember if your driving on dirt roads or in dusty conditions the lower the intake the more you'll be replacing that air filter.

EL XR6 5spd

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

I'm selling my EF Airbox Lid, that i got off FTG. $30. I'll be at the All Ford Day at the end of the month.

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:19 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EB

VIC, Australia

The EF airbox flows better than the EL one, however the EL piping flows better than the EF piping. You can't fit EL piping onto an EF airbox lid without modding it.

I widened the EL pipe so it'd fit to the EF airbox lid.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]