Would like to hear from people who own NA FG XR6 man or auto 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Would like to hear from people who own NA FG XR6 man or auto
Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8 220 Manual

Hi all.

I am looking at buying an FG XR6 N/A.

I would like to hear from people who own them or have driven them and hear what you think?

Be interetested to hear peoples thoughts on the 6 spd manual and the new 5 speed auto and how they match the engine.

What is the performance like of the car compared to anything else you have drivin or owned?

any info would be interesting.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Would like to hear from people who own NA FG XR6 man or auto
Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Very nice cars with very good handling.. Havnt been in a 5 speed but it's a good tranny that I'd probably stay away from due to the fact that there aren't many of them..
The manual is my pick..

Performance is much better then expected, both in a straight line and around the bends

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

forget the 5 speed auto, 6 speed ZF auto is the way to go, its quicker then manual (according to claimed 0-100 times). but manual is more fun to drive :twisted:

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

4dlvr wrote:
Very nice cars with very good handling.. Havnt been in a 5 speed but it's a good tranny that I'd probably stay away from due to the fact that there aren't many of them..
The manual is my pick..

Performance is much better then expected, both in a straight line and around the bends

I don't know if you could say there aren't many 5 spd auto's around. Every N/A FG series 1 auto other than the G6E and owner optioned cars had it and there are a lot of those out there.

I've driven several of the 5sp auto's and they are not a bad thing. Good ratios and pretty smooth changes. It didn't do anything I wasn't expecting it to do. Miles in front of the old 4sp in the BA's etc and they make for very good value on the 2nd hand market. A lot are ex rental tho, so be wary, they may have had a hard life.

I agree that the ZF 6sp is the pick of the boxes and would go that way myself if the money is not an issue. If you can stretch to a 50th anniversary XR6, that'd be the shizzle.

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:48 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EB Ghia

VIC, Australia

FG XR8 6 Speed auto is good. It's just a tad weird, on shifts it has like a lag like clutch sort or feeling it's weird, sports mode rocks, steps out quarter throttle in first there mad fun.

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

There is much less 5 speed falcons running around then both 4 and 6 speed.. They were discontinued early 2010 if I remember correctly..
The 6 speed is bullet proof and the 4speed was used in the titanic and can be bought for about the same price as a kids trampoline.. most mechanics and tranny joints are still unaware of their existence.. This says both that their uncommon and/or they have been relatively problem free..

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

4dlvr wrote:
There is much less 5 speed falcons running around then both 4 and 6 speed.. They were discontinued early 2010 if I remember correctly..
The 6 speed is bullet proof and the 4speed was used in the titanic and can be bought for about the same price as a kids trampoline.. most mechanics and tranny joints are still unaware of their existence.. This says both that their uncommon and/or they have been relatively problem free..

No it doesn't. It says, that even the earliest of FG's are not yet out of factory warranty. Why would a mechanic or a tranny joint have had anything to do with them? If there's a drama, Ford will just replace the transmission.

And considering they are only backing up to N/A i6's they are hardly likely to be dealing with huge power are they so why would they be breaking in big numbers by now anyway?

And the 5 spd was made redundant in July 2010, giving the 5sp auto a solid two year run in most of the high sales fleet/rent-a-car models. There would be a fair number out in the wild.

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:25 pm 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

Correct above. All FG's current run 6 speed autos.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:58 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 2009 FG XR6

VIC, Australia

Had mine for a week now , very nice indeed. Picked it for $25,990 drive away at WestPoint ford

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:13 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 2003 BA FALCON FUTURA

QLD, Australia

optimusprime78 wrote:
Had mine for a week now , very nice indeed. Picked it for $25,990 drive away at WestPoint ford

was that brand new? some good deals going around then.

I have the xr6 50 anniversary, find it a bit weird going from 1 to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd. seems a bit laggy.

I had the 4 speed ba before and seems to rev alot higher before changing gears, just wandering if its just the 6 speed i have to get yous to or a problem.

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EB Ghia

VIC, Australia

yeah changing gears has like a manual like weird lag feeling.. strange but still goes good

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:51 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 2003 BA FALCON FUTURA

QLD, Australia

so that is a normal feeling?

ive read on some other forum of a rev alternator problem or something like that where between 20-30 theres a lagging feeling. hopefully this aint the case because everything about this car is good.

but very true, once u put the pedel down, it goes hard.

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Power: 327 rwkw

WA, Australia

just came in to point out that miranda kerr is posting in here... has no one noticed this???

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:26 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 2009 FG XR6

VIC, Australia

matty b118 wrote:
optimusprime78 wrote:

was that brand new? some good deals going around then.

I have the xr6 50 anniversary, find it a bit weird going from 1 to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd. seems a bit laggy.

I had the 4 speed ba before and seems to rev alot higher before changing gears, just wandering if its just the 6 speed i have to get yous to or a problem.

You know i was questioning the same thought this morning. Giving it a bit down the Monash and you are right, The gears do seem strange compared to by previous traded BF. When it changes gear from 1st it seems to grab momentum then drop then pick it up again. I actually started to think perhaps its like the old AU XR6 with the Power/ Ecom Switch but i just can't locate it

Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8 220 Manual

Thanks for the replys guys, any owners of the 6 speed manual version out there? I think that would be the one I was after if possible.

Sounds like everyone is very pleased with theirs, hope to start shopping seriously for one by mid year.

anyone had any results with modifying the power outpu of the car?

cheers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next