Fordmods Logo

WTF does this do 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: WTF does this do
Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL GHIA

SA, Australia

i traced a noise in the front end of my EL GHIA thats been givin my the s**t for a while now

in the front drivers side wheel arch inside the front splash panel there is a snorkel type tube that goes up and locates just behind the battery and runs down and out of wheel arch - this tube had been dislodged and was loose

WTF is its purpose

Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:47 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

its the battery snorkel - just to get some air in to cool the battery down!

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EA Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

I would say it is desgined to suck air up to the battery to keep it cool.

Full working BA Shifter now upgraded to BF Shifter.
BA headlight inserts in my EA headlights.

Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:03 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

Ford I6's run rather hot by design - not sure of V8's.
When you charge a battery, it gets hot as a result of all that current that gets pushed into it :)
Combine these two facts and you need to do something to keep the battery a little cooler otherwise the water boils away which is not good.

I know my EF's has some ducting to provide fresh air to cool the battery. Air is picked up from around the front bumper and directed into the plastic box that the battery sits in. The air is expelled into the right fender area. Don't know if there is any ducting within the fender area but if there is, maybe mine is also dislodged which may explains the noise i get :)

Trivial fact:
Cooling air is also provided for some less than obvios reasons in some cars. The celica GT4 had a small circular duct next to the intercooler duct on the bonnet. This small duct was to provide air to the cam belt which kept on breaking in rally use. The duct work had to be homologated to be used in their rally cars so found it's way into these road versions :)

Cheers.

Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:42 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: BF Falcon SR

WA, Australia

I have never had the snorkle or battery box and have never had a problem with my battery....

From the way it is positioned I dont think it really has that much affect. It would supply air where no air was normally present, but i think the battery is designed well enough to cope on its own...

Proud owner of one of very few BF SR manual (June 06 build) :)

Nothing really says thankyou like a dollar in the waistband

[BLEMIN]

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/782173

Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:51 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Ugly Igley wrote:
I have never had the snorkle or battery box and have never had a problem with my battery....

It's good to hear you have not had problems :)

Car manufacturers are notoriosly cheep bastards so i really doubt they would put a battery box and snorkle in 1000's of cars unless they needed to :)
They must design their cars to run in all of australia, so maybe it's more of a problem around broken hill during mid summer with aircon and doing 120 KPH for some time.

I can probably toss it out here in melbourne, but why bother :lol:
Yeh, i know it also gets hot in perth but in my experiance, not as hot as the middle of auz.

Cheers.

Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:28 am 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Mine came loose and half fell out a long time ago!
I was told that it served no real effective purpose and wouldn't effect the battery so I ditched it! havn't had any probs and it's been off for well over a year!

Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

the batery snorkles seem to have a habit of falling off....... well done ford!

Banned

Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 2:10 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BA Falcon

WA, Australia

from memory of studying batteries in aviation the snorkel is actually to release any charged air of loose chemicals? not 100% sure but that's what i remember. in planes they run to a container of bi-carb then out to the air because the bi-carb neutralises the acids that are in the batteries.

BA XT, typhoon intake, K&N filter, XR 17" wheels, red/black brakes, Ford scuff plates

Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 2:57 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

rhysy_boi wrote:
from memory of studying batteries in aviation the snorkel is actually to release any charged air of loose chemicals? not 100% sure but that's what i remember. in planes they run to a container of bi-carb then out to the air because the bi-carb neutralises the acids that are in the batteries.

Interesting info - now if only i knew this when i tried to bring a dry motorbike battery with me on a flight back from NZed. I would have argued much more than i did :) As it was they cited all the corrosion risks caused by batteries to the aluminium in planes and wouldn't let me take it on the plane.
Another corrosion risk on planes is horses - they piss everywhere and it is either acidic or alkaline board.

In reality, i doubt that ford or any other car manufacturer would care if a car correoded outside it's warrenty period :shock:

Cheers

Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 1:26 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

WA, Australia

it would aslo serve as a drain for any battery acid and water that might be spilled or come out of the battery, motorbikes have a drain hose to keep acid away from the frame etc

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]