Fordmods Logo

WTF is a Battery Snorkel 

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EB XR8 manual

NSW, Australia

Electricity runs through cable better when it is cold.

Sulfuric acid (battery liquid contents) leaks some nasty gasses when it is hot, and does some even nastier s**t when it boils, and since its on the exhaust side of the big ford six, you may wanna cool it ooff!

Keeping it cool means you top the battery up with distilled water less often too. (liquids turn to vapour - the water dillutes the acid)

maybe if you took the shroud off the battery and mounted aluminium fins (scrap channel) parallel with the air flow, then chuck the shroud/cover back on, it will remove more heat. I dunno

Cheerios!

meh.

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:51 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: FGX xr6

VIC, Australia

noisuf wrote:
Nanger wrote:
EFs and ELs had them under the battery, going down to under the bumper. I think most of them fell out after the first year though, because they were held in by one self tapper, and I used to see them lying around on medium strips.
hey genius tell me how the f**k they can fall out...

Gravity and vibration. I'm not talking the EA, EB & ED.

-Dave

If you can't do the speed limit, get the F*ck out of the right lane!

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL XR6 5spd

TwinturboBMX wrote:
You've got it, everyone should put a tickford battery snorkel on. Yeah theres one on my car, and it goes directly to the side of the battery it didnt take eintstein to figure that out, (well i figured it out so how hard could it be for someone older than me)

Why stop there. Strap a turbo and an intercooler to that battery intake. and it will conduct the fully sik m8 :D

EL XR6 5spd

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Shell with 4 wheels

NSW, Australia

Why A Turbo More Like A Supercharger To Blow The Air Direct From Fresh Air LOL

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Foulcoon wrote:
Electricity runs through cable better when it is cold.

I dispute that claim, unless of course you have a superconducting cable where the colder it is the better when it is cold, which is impossible in such a situation at this point in time. in normal wire the warmer it is (to an extent) the less interference (electrons) gets when moving through the wire, meaning a better conductor.

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

My green fairlane had two after i got a new bumper n n front end s**t after a small front end accident a while back, only the other day when i was swapping headlights over from my cars that i seen it had the new one in place and the old one just sitting there above my cornering lamp in the bumper! Funny enough i never heard it ratte nor did it fall out.

My fbt still has the orig one in there; i can get pics if someone wants as i got my spare one laying around somewhere, but i got nowhere to host em

There isnt much to them, just an elbowed shape pip about an inch n a half thick with a small fan tail on one end to act as an air "scoop"!

Im not suprised these things cant be found on most cars due to fallen off, i honeslt cant see what reall holds them on other than a tiny piece of plastice which is useless anyway.. pos really!

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:48 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

Nah, you got it backwards tomek, colder = better.

Anyways, if you want to see a battery snorkel there's a pic in my user gallery - lol.

It didn't used to have one, and there's some rust damage around the battery box area from where it had exploded for the previous owners.

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

voxace wrote:

Anyways, if you want to see a battery snorkel there's a pic in my user gallery - lol.

It didn't used to have one, and there's some rust damage around the battery box area from where it had exploded for the previous owners.

jeeeeebus, id be worried if my battery overheated let alond BURST FFS!
I havnt heard of over heating batteries being a problem for years, infact i wouldnt worry about not running a snorkel on it, altho as said it may reduce battery life. :shock: :shock: :shock:

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

voxace wrote:

are you talking about the battery itself or the cabling/wire?

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: xy faker, baxr6t

NSW, Australia

Funny I still have all the bits in my waggin, and I am yet to get more than twelve months out of a battery. I guess they must just hate me???. Either that or it could have something to do with all the overheating problems I had with it for a while there ( read 3 years).

As for conducting through a wire.. The colder the better. Dont even bother with the whole superconductor discussion, mute point really, but as for any thing to do with electronics, the cooler the better, end of argument. If it was the other way around, we are waisting a hell of a lot of money at work keeping stuff cool for no reason.

Keep Australia Beautiful. Drive a Ford.

Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:48 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

Yeah the wire.

What you basically said was that the warmer a conductor gets, the better, due to less interference with electrons. Well it's the other way around, the electrons slow the f**k down when it gets cold causing less resistance.

And with superconductors, the bit about the colder the better is not true either. Once you reach the point where the material is superconducting, it doesn't matter if you go colder or not - there is no resistance so it doesn't matter.

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

voxace wrote:
Yeah the wire.

What you basically said was that the warmer a conductor gets, the better, due to less interference with electrons. Well it's the other way around, the electrons slow the f**k down when it gets cold causing less resistance.

And with superconductors, the bit about the colder the better is not true either. Once you reach the point where the material is superconducting, it doesn't matter if you go colder or not - there is no resistance so it doesn't matter.

Yeah the second part is what i was trying to say but as it gets colder there is less resistance until it reaches its critical where 0 resistance....

The first part im confused now...I learnt one thing and people say the other... Oh well....

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:22 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AUI Fairmont

SA, Australia

Thanks Voxace, Mine must have been removed by the previous owners. So looks like I'll buy one after Xmas....

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:23 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EA Fairmont Giha

QLD, Australia

Light bulb going on here. Snorkle = cooler battery. Being a computer modder leads to other mods...

Peltier is coming to mind or even a vaporchill setup. The mind is boggling. :D

Got it! Mod a transmission cooler with copper tube wrapping the battery. Wonder if a couple of windscreen washer motors would run it??

:lol: Coming soon - Twin motored windscreen washer. :lol:

(sorry about the dribble guy's, to many Bourbons tonight :mrgreen: )

Weapon - EA Fairmont Ghia - Pedders lows, Neothane,

From another biker - Scott, you rode hard, lived hard, loved hard, Thanx's for your advice and RIP

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AUI Fairmont

SA, Australia

japa62 wrote:
(sorry about the dribble guy's, to many Bourbons tonight :mrgreen: )

Have one for me, I'm stuck at work till Midnight :(

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next