Fordmods Logo

WTF is wrong with my car? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

If your engine was still running (ie revving but no drive) then your problem is definately not the timing chain.

Sounds like your problem is flex plate related, definately from crank back anyway.

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 08 BF MK11 Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

ok well i checked the chain it is not broken, and it still doesnt start, how hard is it to replace the flex plate? how hard is it to change and how much is it? Could i do it myself? wud that cause the car not to start?

Daniel

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

any1?

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA Falcon

Power: 106 rwkw

SA, Australia

if you know how to remove and refit the trans then you dont have a problem, sounds like the bolts that hold the flex plate to the motor have come out.. this does seems rather strange thing to happen... as there are 6-7 bolts holding the thing on! have you had any vibrations running thru the car lately?

If those bolts have come out you would have no drive/reverse, and the starter will crank but the motor wont... remove the inspection plate and while a friend cranks the motor see if the flexplate turns, then do same again and see if engine turns from engine bay, this will show if this is the problem

2003 BA Falcon Egas Taxi Pack - XR Replica
Tpak MKII Build Thread

1984 ZL Fairlane
The Project

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

okh then i see, i have had a tickin noise for ages coming from the back of the engine, and for about a week prior to las night when starting the car it sounded like there was something loose bofore the engine kicked over, and on suday (day before it happened) there was a sound like something was scraping along the ground but it wasnt all the time, it was only happening rarely.

Daniel

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:45 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

I would be really surprised if ALL of the flywheel bolts have come out. There would have been vibration like you wouldn't believe before this happened.

I don't even think theres enough room for the bolts to come unthreaded while the torque converter is bolted up to it.

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EBII Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

Yeah this sounds really weird, I don't know a lot but it would be hard to pin point it, it lost drive so I'd say torque converter, it won't turn over so I'd say fly wheel. Those 6 bolts that hold it to the crank are pretty tight! I really hate to think what could have happened, you'll have to let us know when you fix it!

This is a question, can the flywheel move towards the back of the car when the box is still attached? but wouldn't that make an aweful lot of noise?

Also wouldn't the engine still start regardless if the torque converter is attached?

Confused
Ben

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

where abouts is the inspection plate?

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

does any1 know how to identifie it? or where it is? any help?

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:39 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL GT - T2 TS50

QLD, Australia

Sounds to me like you've had loose torque converter bolts for a while and 1 probabally finally fell out, and once it did that it more than likely damaged part of the ring gear.

the inspection plate is at the front of the bellhousing, at the rear of the engine, i think there are about 3 bolts that hold it on and you have to slide the plate out once you have all the bolts out.

you are going to need to get the car on ramps or idealy a hoist cuz ur going to need to get under it

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

okh i see, thnks you for that, i will have a look at it on the weekend, wat are ppls thoughts on the oil pump failing, would this do wat has happened to my car?

Daniel

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

as an aside, I have had a bolt that hold the converter to the flex plate come loose in the past, so I guess it would be possible for all of them to come loose, but it would make a hell of a rattle!!

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:57 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ef fairmont, ba futura

WA, Australia

EBGizmo wrote:
I had a spinning starter motor once in the EB actually - looked under the car and it was dancing around on the ground :) One bolt had snapped, the other came loose!

Have you looked under the car yet?

Correct me if im wrong,
how is it possible for the starter to run while on the ground? doesn't it take the earth through the bell housing? or had the starter started then fell out?

FORD =
Fun On Rainy Days

got 4g to spend on mods. but dont know were to start.

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:07 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

danbode wrote:
okh i see, thnks you for that, i will have a look at it on the weekend, wat are ppls thoughts on the oil pump failing, would this do wat has happened to my car?

Daniel

if the oil pump crapped itself your engine would lock up from no oil getting to any part of the engine i think the best advise anyone can give is call a tow truck and get it to a mechanic who can diagnose the problem and explain it to you as he goes if you are unsure about where the inspection plate is the rest is a lot more more technical if your at viccy point pm me your number and i will give you a call and come and have a look im at rochedale i wouldnt be free until sat arvo late as I have to put a new steering rack pump & lines in in the morning I also have a flex plate and convertor from the auto I just removed from my ef lat me know

efII wgn xr front xr ecu 17s filter pacemakers highflow cat & 2.5 manual conversion
THERE IS NO TIME FOR PATIENCE

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2