Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: XE falcon motor upgrade
Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:17 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR6 TURBO

New Zealand

Hi Everyone,
My brother and I arent too bad with a spanner and welder, we are to start a project with an XE falcon it has no running gear at present, what Ford 6 cyl engines can we bolt down onto the original 4.1 engine mounts with out to much fabricating? We have thought on the AU / EF xr6 motors,i know someone can give us all the do's and dont's and ideas with our project so your help appreciated. Thanks

Post subject: Re: XE falcon motor upgrade
Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

i am thinking if you use XG mounts anything from EA to BA will fit but fitting AU to BA involves a little bit of fab work and mucking around getting the BA motor running etc. but i have seen many of people that have put later model engines into XF etc i think there was one chap that put a AU motor and gearbox in a black xe or it might have been infact a xf ther build thread or a link to it is lost in the archive area of this new site and the search function is somewhat slow.

the best bet i am thinking is getting a XH motor putting it into the XF use a EFI cluster etc with a EA engine loom with the PRE smartlock 3.9 or early 4litre ecu that should solve dramas with smartlock unless you get a EF/EL motor using a smartlock bypass and fun a full EF/EL BBM setup.

i havn't done it but the idea seems sound enough and i am just throwing ideas out and guys feel free to correct me

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

Thanks Froudey,
Nice infomation cheers

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

EA engine mounts work, use the bottom part of the XE mount, you'll need an XG swaybar for the front for sump clearance.. but just work the 250 crossie!! mines not that far off 200rwkw's with just a cam and carb... and the sound :o

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Boxcar Love

QLD, Australia

Waggen wrote:
but just work the 250 crossie!! mines not that far off 200rwkw's with just a cam and carb... and the sound :o

Doubt it. Factory 4.1's only had up to 98kw at the flywheel, maybe equaling 70kw at the wheels. There is no way a simple cam and carb upgrade will give you 130rwkw gains. Keep dreaming fella.

And holdeneater - tis a pretty simple upgrade to fit the 4L engine into your car. There is a few threads getting around, although our search is out at the moment, i'll try and find them.

Commodore australia's favorite car??? What a load of s**t

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

Waggen wrote:
EA engine mounts work, use the bottom part of the XE mount, you'll need an XG swaybar for the front for sump clearance.. but just work the 250 crossie!! mines not that far off 200rwkw's with just a cam and carb... and the sound :o

list ya mods cause i highly doubt it

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

I agree with what Pimp said, factory 4.1's are pretty s**t when it comes to power lol so its kind of hard to believe getting almost 200rwkw out of it with just a cam/carby upgrade. Im not saying your wrong though waggen, i dont know many people that have worked the 4.1 and got that much power out of it without boost, but i know you could probably use some big cam profiles in those things and have them running all right with a suitable carby and see some good gains.

Id suggest upgrading to an e-series engine, preferably an EF/EL at least or an AU VCT :twisted:

I also remeber reading a while ago in some Ford magazine, possibly Performance Ford mag, that the Castlemaine Rodshop had a bolt on supercharger kit to suit the 4.1 crossflow. Kit consisted of the blower, mounting brakets, an upgraded carby of some sort and all the other extras. They fitted it to an XE i think. It didnt make huge power but it was a nice increase over stock.

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

http://www.xfalcon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17437
13 second 1/4s from a full body xe with a rebuilt crossflow.. from $1500

if the bar aint bendin your just pretendin

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Mods include, 10.5-1 comp, 200ci rods, 30thou pistons, ports cleaned up but stock valves, 600dp holley and a 250deg solid crow cam.. just shy of 200rwkw's easy power.. people underestimate the old crossie..

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Ed v8 fairmont wagon, wr450f

Power: 137 rwkw

PIMP_LTD wrote:
Waggen wrote:
but just work the 250 crossie!! mines not that far off 200rwkw's with just a cam and carb... and the sound :o

Doubt it. Factory 4.1's only had up to 98kw at the flywheel, maybe equaling 70kw at the wheels. There is no way a simple cam and carb upgrade will give you 130rwkw gains. Keep dreaming fella.

And holdeneater - tis a pretty simple upgrade to fit the 4L engine into your car. There is a few threads getting around, although our search is out at the moment, i'll try and find them.

maybe he meant hp not kw's,ive seen a few crossflows on dyno's up this one with 200rwhp still with the 2bbl weber on them too (street sedan speedway cars).The motors werent anythink special either due to limits of there class.They were balanced,mild head porting,tune length extractors,mild cam making peak power at 5000 with the 2bbl weber still on it.
Theres plenty of tuff old sixes around i've got a 265 hemi, 90 thou over with forged 350 chev pistions in it 11.1 comp,ported head,balanced,e49 balancer,cain 4 bbl,650 dp holley,big cam and it makes 291rwhp but thats nothink to tony lucci green centura it makes 350rwhp with power glide and 9'' diff

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:26 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

what a great website , thanks everyone for sharing infomation nice.

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Boxcar Love

QLD, Australia

taxi 5L wrote:
maybe he meant hp not kw's,

Yeah that i'd believe, but definatly not KW.

Commodore australia's favorite car??? What a load of s**t

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:24 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

my old motor made 200hp atw's, same specs just 230deg cam, changed for the solid 250deg cam and dp holley, extra 45kw's and comes on cam even earlier.. Don't really care if you don't believe me, crossies just love big cams and carbs.. www.xfalcon.com Xrglen has made nearly 365hp out of one, which only cost 9g's to build.. reckons he'll crack 400hp n/a soon enough

Yes how much of a monster is that green centura, saw it at summernats, unbelievable!!

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Ed v8 fairmont wagon, wr450f

Power: 137 rwkw

Waggen wrote:
Yes how much of a monster is that green centura, saw it at summernats, unbelievable!!

it would be a wild ride theres not much weight in them either,im sure it runs 10's too

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:11 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: el gli manwel

QLD, Australia

i'm not sure if its the same centura or not but i remember seeing one up here at tallai for the races one of my mates was talking to the owner and apparently it won the hp comp 6 cyl class a few times i'd believe it too seeing it move along that m1 motorway like a cat shot up the a***, apparently his son has/had an eb or ed with a turbo strapped to the side. i only ever seen him get right under it once eh racing a rex i know he only got under it hard the once cause id watched him race a few guys but when he set his sights on that rex holy s**t. 68you havent seen it for ages

THE LOOSEST MUTHA FUKA YOU'VE EVER MET

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]