Fordmods Logo

Xg ute lower rev cut 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Xg ute lower rev cut
Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:31 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 98 EL Fairmont GHIA

New Zealand

Hey fellas, Just put a BBM into a xg ute. BBM is switching over, all was going ok on first test run, But now it just miss's like f**k. Gets to about 4grand and like its hitting rev limiter. Though it might be our cheap fuel pressure reg, so put standy one back on, still done it. checked all vacuum lines, changed the plugs, checked earths. Help would be appreciated. cheers.

98 Fairmont Ghia, T5, 6 Puk Clutch, Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust System, J3 Chip, Dobi Superlows, 17's, B&M Line-Loc.

Post subject: Re: Xg ute lower rev cut
Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:43 am 
Smokin em up

New Zealand

No one? Was hoping to sort today.....

98 Fairmont Ghia, T5, 6 Puk Clutch, Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust System, J3 Chip, Dobi Superlows, 17's, B&M Line-Loc.

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Just checking,

When you replaced the bbm, you would have also replaced the throttle cable.

On my XG the throttle cable was loose so I cable tied it to a bracket near the top of where the shocker bolts are. This made it nice and tight so when you depressed the throttle you got the throttle body opening up the full way.

So check your throttle cable. You can also have someone sit in the car and then you can pull the throttle cable from the engine bay and check if it is reaching higher than 4 grand.

Apart from that, I haven't got a clue, unless you have put the inlet manifold gasket on wrong somehow so that not enough air is getting through, or you may have blocked off the injectors. But I doubt it.

Check the throttle cable :D

Also did you use new O rings for the injectors???

XG Ute. BBM conversion, EL ECU + J3 Chip, 3" Stainless Steel Intake Pipe, K&N Pod Filter, Wade 1673 Camshaft, Pacemaker extractors, 2.5 Inch Hi-Flow Cat, 2.5 Inch exhaust, Cab Extension, 18" FG GT Rims, resprayed in blueprint.

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:57 pm 
Smokin em up

New Zealand

Throttle cable isnt an issue, as for the intake gasket and injector o rings im not to sure, Mates ute he done that side of it. but id say o rings are not new. be re used. and gasket shouldnt be on wrong, thats pretty hard to get wrong lol but you never know... We put some iridium plugs in it, and it went sweet as for a while. now started doing it again. almost like its not getting enough gas when bbm switches over. its also got no knock sensor like its spose to have but wouldnt think that would cause it? But may be the J3 chip in it, tuned for a log manifold. But we also put my J3 chipped el tickford ghia ecu in it and made no difference so who knows whats going on lol

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:06 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

when was the fuel filter changed last??

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:16 pm 
Smokin em up

New Zealand

I also asked him this question, He said its quite new...

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

What ECU are you running in it???

As the guys on this forum are aware, I had a massive hesitation issue when using the EL manual ECU on my car. This problem completely went away when I just used the standard XG ECU with the BBM. Car ran like a dream (but obviously mixtures where out because of the bbm and I couldn't use the BBM switch). I whacked in a j3 chip and got it tuned and it is heaps better, but the tuner didn't touch the cold start mixtures so that problem is still there. I'll get him to fix it when I get it tuned after I put a new performance head and cam on it.

So just try sticking in the old xg ecu and give that a go! see if it fixes the problem. You should know straight away. (I just read you tried swapping out the ECU's already, sorry)

Umm maybe just check you have fuel pressure, or that the return line isn't kinked.

Otherwise maybe if the inlet manifold gasket was reused then it could be leaking causing a misfire

did you put the right injector plugs on the right injectors???

XG Ute. BBM conversion, EL ECU + J3 Chip, 3" Stainless Steel Intake Pipe, K&N Pod Filter, Wade 1673 Camshaft, Pacemaker extractors, 2.5 Inch Hi-Flow Cat, 2.5 Inch exhaust, Cab Extension, 18" FG GT Rims, resprayed in blueprint.

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:18 am 
Smokin em up

New Zealand

Yeh it is possibly the j3 chip thats in it at the moment, but highly unlikely as we tryed mine in it, and it still done it. as for the inkector plugs, i wouldnt have a clue my mate done that side of it, id imagine they would be ok, but its something else we can put on the list to check, all help is appreciated!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]