Fordmods Logo

Xh ute accelerator cable 

 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

 
 Post subject: Xh ute accelerator cable
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:04 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline

Age: 36

Posts: 369

Joined: 16th Dec 2005

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: XR6

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

Hi guys I have an xh ute and in need of a new accelerator cable but ford has told me they have stopped making them for manual but does the auto one fit also if I can't get one does any other cable From other models fit thanks
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Xh ute accelerator cable
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:44 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 4093

Joined: 20th Mar 2005

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

Location: Seaford State:
VIC, Australia

If its a Standard XH, then use a EB-ED cable, If its an XR or has a Broadband Manifold added, you require a EF/EL cable.

Auto / Manual Makes no difference.

 

_________________

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Xh ute accelerator cable
Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:51 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline

Age: 36

Posts: 369

Joined: 16th Dec 2005

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: XR6

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

Thanks yea as thought as the guy at ford had no idea, my engine bay seems to get so hot and not sure if it normal or not but even the new cable starting to feel like o the same thing and stretch
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Xh ute accelerator cable
Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:13 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 26

Posts: 789

Joined: 9th Dec 2011

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

Location: Coffs Harbour
NSW, Australia

Why not get it from burson or repco, they still make heaps of things ford dosnt. Screw ford, unless you need a rear engine mount.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Xh ute accelerator cable
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:22 am 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Posts: 165

Joined: 3rd Sep 2008

Ride: XH

Location: . .
NT, Australia

Normally the heat above the exhaust manifold makes the sleeve brittle and it breaks, giving you extra cable play. I replaced my cable a few weeks ago and bought some of this to try and keep the heat out of the cable sleeve:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/THERMAL-REFL ... 35b5fe4904

It seems to work ok but has only been there for a short time.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Xh ute accelerator cable
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:46 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Posts: 67

Joined: 28th Aug 2010

Ride: XG Longreach + ED XR6

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

Are the cables identical from XG to ED?

I have this problem where my XG falcons accelerator pedal does no want to return to its normal position without a little pull backwards, thinking it was a stretched cable I swapped it for my ED cable, which seems to have made things worse. Its a real nuisance when you need to brake in a hurry (especially on a decline) and the engine wants to hold 1500rpm.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Xh ute accelerator cable
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:41 pm 
Moderator
Offline

Posts: 14513

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: ford falcon au3 xr8

Location: a shit suburb in sydney
NSW, Australia

brandon89 wrote:
Are the cables identical from XG to ED?

I have this problem where my XG falcons accelerator pedal does no want to return to its normal position without a little pull backwards, thinking it was a stretched cable I swapped it for my ED cable, which seems to have made things worse. Its a real nuisance when you need to brake in a hurry (especially on a decline) and the engine wants to hold 1500rpm.


disconnect the throttle cable and operate the throttle from the throttle body,
if it sticks clean the throttle body and check the return spring..

if its ok with no cable connected, buy a "new" cable
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Xh ute accelerator cable
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:05 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Posts: 67

Joined: 28th Aug 2010

Ride: XG Longreach + ED XR6

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
brandon89 wrote:
Are the cables identical from XG to ED?

I have this problem where my XG falcons accelerator pedal does no want to return to its normal position without a little pull backwards, thinking it was a stretched cable I swapped it for my ED cable, which seems to have made things worse. Its a real nuisance when you need to brake in a hurry (especially on a decline) and the engine wants to hold 1500rpm.


disconnect the throttle cable and operate the throttle from the throttle body,
if it sticks clean the throttle body and check the return spring..

if its ok with no cable connected, buy a "new" cable


Thanks heaps for this mate, been doing my head in for a while, than when i tried to fix it today made it worse!

As soon as I disconnect the throttle cable, the throttle body returns to normal position. So I assume I need a new XG specific cable?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Xh ute accelerator cable
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:25 pm 
Moderator
Offline

Posts: 14513

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: ford falcon au3 xr8

Location: a shit suburb in sydney
NSW, Australia

brandon89 wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
brandon89 wrote:
Are the cables identical from XG to ED?

I have this problem where my XG falcons accelerator pedal does no want to return to its normal position without a little pull backwards, thinking it was a stretched cable I swapped it for my ED cable, which seems to have made things worse. Its a real nuisance when you need to brake in a hurry (especially on a decline) and the engine wants to hold 1500rpm.


disconnect the throttle cable and operate the throttle from the throttle body,
if it sticks clean the throttle body and check the return spring..

if its ok with no cable connected, buy a "new" cable


Thanks heaps for this mate, been doing my head in for a while, than when i tried to fix it today made it worse!

As soon as I disconnect the throttle cable, the throttle body returns to normal position. So I assume I need a new XG specific cable?


you should be able to use a eb/ed one aswell...
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Xh ute accelerator cable
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:48 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Posts: 67

Joined: 28th Aug 2010

Ride: XG Longreach + ED XR6

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

I already tried one of those, it worked fine on the ED, but made the problem worse on the XG. On inspection the ED one has a slightly different spring at the throttle body end, and when searching for one on ebay there is one for XG XH EA DA DC and one for EB ED. Either way they cost the same so may as well get the XG one.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Xh ute accelerator cable
Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:32 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 26

Posts: 789

Joined: 9th Dec 2011

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

Location: Coffs Harbour
NSW, Australia

Same thing happened to me, new cable dint fix, cleaning the throttle body didn't fix. A nice bog return spring did.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Xh ute accelerator cable
Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:23 am 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Posts: 67

Joined: 28th Aug 2010

Ride: XG Longreach + ED XR6

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

Pakrat wrote:
Same thing happened to me, new cable dint fix, cleaning the throttle body didn't fix. A nice bog return spring did.


Care to elaborate? Do you mean throttle body return spring? I have a spare throttle body here that I can put on, that's not much of an issue... I'll give it a crack anyway if you don't get back to me soonish, lol, I'm out of work at the moment and keen to keep busy....


Also, apologies to the original poster for hijacking your thread!
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Xh ute accelerator cable
Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:14 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 64

Posts: 3448

Joined: 11th Jan 2009

Ride: BA Falcon XT

Location: Smithfield
NSW, Australia

BTW, the ED cable is the same for the XH with a log manifold, the BB manifold is an EF/EL one.

ED 9C799 B $85.36 and EF 9C799 A $89.47. Both cables are still available.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Xh ute accelerator cable
Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:17 am 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Posts: 67

Joined: 28th Aug 2010

Ride: XG Longreach + ED XR6

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

so the same for XG than aswell? From the sound of my problem do you think its the throttle body or cable?


One more thing, that small bit of foam at the end of the cable...is that required?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Xh ute accelerator cable
Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:26 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 64

Posts: 3448

Joined: 11th Jan 2009

Ride: BA Falcon XT

Location: Smithfield
NSW, Australia

brandon89 wrote:
so the same for XG than aswell? From the sound of my problem do you think its the throttle body or cable?

One more thing, that small bit of foam at the end of the cable...is that required?

That bit of foam is to seal the cable where it goes into the firewall.
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:30 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names