Fordmods Logo

XH XR6 DIZZY DRIVE REPLACEMENT 

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: XH XR6 DIZZY DRIVE REPLACEMENT
Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 2:24 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AUII XR8 Pursuit & EF XR6

NSW, Australia

Alright as posted in my other topic about the starting problem, further inspection of the distributor has revealed that somehow the dizzy drive in the engine has stripped all its teeth. How do I get inside to replace this driving gear??? The dizzy its self is still in good condition.

Many thanks in advance, Justin

- 1994 EF XR6, Auto, EL XR wheels. Clean and close to original ( Missus' Kiddie Chariot )
- 2001 AUII XR8 Pursuit ute, 5 speed, 18" alloys, custom tray. Goes alright!! lol

Post subject: Re: XH XR6 DIZZY DRIVE REPLACEMENT
Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 2:58 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Ok I read through that but its not the actual dizzy assembly thats broken, its the drive that drives the dizzy inside the block thats broken (where the teeth mesh together), I dont know what its call but yeah.

- 1994 EF XR6, Auto, EL XR wheels. Clean and close to original ( Missus' Kiddie Chariot )
- 2001 AUII XR8 Pursuit ute, 5 speed, 18" alloys, custom tray. Goes alright!! lol

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:14 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Wow thats a good job. LOL. Mine looks nothing like that, I found a couple of long pieces the length of the tooth in the housing but nothing as major as yours looked. How do I get to the aux shaft drive cog??

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:15 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

yep its the aux shaft that has failed..
this requires a bit of work to fix..
sump or head removal to get the timing cover off, removal of the timing chain to get to the shaft..
it can be replaced but you will find that fine metal particles have been pumped through the engine and more than likely all the bearings ect will now be scored..

best bet is a replacement engine or a rebuild???

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:26 pm 

NSW, Australia

this is what happened to one of my old engines...

Attachment:
DSC01162.JPG
DSC01162.JPG [ 86.52 KiB | Viewed 440 times ]

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:26 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Ahh ok, doesnt look as though its gone right through as most of the teeth are still intact, only the edges of the teeth have broken off and Ive retrieved the pieces from the oil filter and dizzy housing, how much roughly would I be looking at for a rebuild?? Any recommendations on extra work while Im at it??

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:28 pm 

NSW, Australia

the damage on my one above was still bad enough to pump metal through the bearings..

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:35 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Ok sounds like no good at all!! Will a replacement drive from a EF Fairmont head me in the right direction?? Me and the old man (if we go in the rebuild direction) will rebuild it and also Id feel more confident knowing that I got fresh rebuilt motor in my ute. I know it sounds like alot of f**king around but yeah.

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:39 pm 

NSW, Australia

the aux shaft is the same from ea to au.. so aslong as its good it will fit..

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:44 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Ok Ive got a aux shaft sorted out from one of my other wrecks. Will do some research of costs of the rebuild kit and maybe some other work while Im going.

Now Ive got that all sorted, any recommendations of what work is worth doing and what not??

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:54 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Head wise thats what I was leaning towards. Bottom end will just be new rings and bearings. Not wanting to go overboard with it as personally I reckon it goes pretty well with the manual.

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:17 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Yeah Im just going to keep it subtle. Ive started to pull the top off the motor and looking at the cam, theres no scoring of the lobes. Its only got 140k on the clock.

Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:22 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Couldnt believe it really. Hopefully it will be back on the road next week, ive only driven the car for a couple hours and Ive owned it for 4 days. LOL.

Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:20 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Yep got out and started pulling the engine apart and the damage is very minimal to the aux shaft, just enough off a couple teeth for it to skip a tooth or 2. Checked all the big ends and cam bearings and theres no scoring, sigh of relief. Got a couple prices to rebuild it just to stock and I should get away with it for less than $400!!

Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:40 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Apprentice Mechanic so got a decent price. Thats all gaskets, rings & bearings, also a oil pump reco kit. Apparently the oil pumps have part to do with the teeth stripping off the gears so while shes off the road might aswell do it all!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next