Fordmods Logo

XH XR6 REBUILD 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: XH XR6 REBUILD
Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:54 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AUII XR8 Pursuit & EF XR6

NSW, Australia

Im nearly all done with my rebuild on my ute, got a new auxilary drive shaft fitted and shes all sweet. Would it be advisable to change the dizzy?? Ive checked the dizzy for teeth damage from the busted aux shaft and theres not a scratch on the dizzy drive. Anything else I should check in regards to the dizzy drive so I dont have this issue again???

Cheers, Justin

- 1994 EF XR6, Auto, EL XR wheels. Clean and close to original ( Missus' Kiddie Chariot )
- 2001 AUII XR8 Pursuit ute, 5 speed, 18" alloys, custom tray. Goes alright!! lol

Post subject: Re: XH XR6 REBUILD
Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:04 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Nah the shaft I got is from an EF Fairmont that runs the coil pack unit. The dizzy thats in my car doesnt appear to be very old at all, looks as though there was issues before I bought the car and they just stuck a new dizzy in with some of the teeth missing off the Aux. Way I worked the out is because there was very minimal metal to the state the shaft was in.

Will post a photo of the shaft tomorow.

- 1994 EF XR6, Auto, EL XR wheels. Clean and close to original ( Missus' Kiddie Chariot )
- 2001 AUII XR8 Pursuit ute, 5 speed, 18" alloys, custom tray. Goes alright!! lol

Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:15 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Yeah very very weird. A bloke I work with used to work at Ford when these XH Tickys were being built and they were very common for stripping the shaft and leaving the dizzy untouched. There was a recall before delivery that required replacement of the shaft as there was ex amount with the "soft" aux drives. Obviously not all of them were fixed. So back to my topic, the dizzy I have should be acceptable??

Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

jughead302 wrote:
Nah the shaft I got is from an EF Fairmont that runs the coil pack unit. The dizzy thats in my car doesnt appear to be very old at all, looks as though there was issues before I bought the car and they just stuck a new dizzy in with some of the teeth missing off the Aux. Way I worked the out is because there was very minimal metal to the state the shaft was in.

Will post a photo of the shaft tomorow.

You should be able to get the gear off the bottom of the sync sensor from the EF.
That would be the ideal way to do it.

Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:33 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

So its just as easy as punching out the pin and swapping out drives?? Use a new pin when I do this?? Sounds like the way to go.

Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

should be able to use the old pin.

Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:48 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Even better, just swap and go! Thats the only thing that had me worried, not really keen on another stripped drive.

Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

what oil do you use?

Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:59 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Ive always used Penrite oils throughout all my cars but I had only owned the ute 1 day before it stopped.

Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:00 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Check the sideplay in your dizzy (the vanes going through the hall pickup), and replace the bush if needed - bushes were around $9 from fraud when I bought them (around 7 mths ago). If you do replace the bush, check the end float with a feeler gauge, and set up the new as same - this is achieved by the location of the bush, so carefully tap in, temp install the shaft and drivegear, and check measure til you get what you want.

Other thing is, if you remove the TFI, make sure you have some heatsink paste - good if you know someone from IT, as it is a bit expensive.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Post subject: Re: XH XR6 REBUILD, MORE HELP PLEASE
Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:03 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Finally got the ute up and running with minimal issues. Just wondering how to set the base timing so I can get the best out of the timing. Also I have a little bit of timing chain slap, would this just be a sticky tensioner??

Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:45 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Yeah I screwed the plug in and then stuck a screwdriver in and I heard it undo itself and unlock but the slide is feeling a bit stiff to move in and out, maybe needs more lubrication. Other than that she runs like a clock!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]