Fordmods Logo

Xh Xr6 won't start now & then 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Xh Xr6 won't start now & then
Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XR's GTP's

New Zealand

Hi all, new to this website so bear with me & I'm a Kiwi...

just aquired a 99 XH XR6 Ute and seems to have previous histroy of randomly not starting...

ford and other people have had the head off and replaced the dizzy etc and thought they'd fixed it a year later same thing and others have pulled out the fuel pump and replaced that and thought it was fixed also.

now 2 years down the track with little K's on it seems i've inherited the same problem, i've thrown new plugs at it , a new coil thought this fixed it but no so after some reading and head scratching threw a map sensor and replaced the ecu.. went sweet for about week the decided not to start again - leave it for a few minutes and she starts ok.
have plenty of crank just seems something is missing or a signal is not being sent.
been reading on the bcm / smartlock if it's faulty would it still crank over ? just not supply fuel ?
running out of idea's .. my other gtp, xr8 & xf never gave such a headache. welcome to XR6 world..
thanks
roly

Post subject: Re: Xh Xr6 won't start now & then
Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU fairmont ghia

ACT, Australia

Could be faulty BCM? All Warning lights light up when you try to crank it over?

AU FAIRMONT GHIA: 5.0 Dealer ordered SVO mods ( seeking clarification ATM), tickford suspension.

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

welcome to fordmods,i think the usual bit*h - tfi module on the side of the dizzy,sounds like the symtoms.do a search on tfi module and read the symtoms.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

When you try and start it and it won't try going ignition off and back on to reds and wait o see what the smartlock light does, a mates xr has a funny smartlock issue when you have to wait a few seconds (around 10) on reds before smartlock light clicks on, I guess it's not recognizing the key or something.

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

yeh the ignition lights seem fine and do what they suppose to and when, i can hear the fuel pump prime etc. Just wondering if it would be the gear selector but then it wouldn't crank.

thought about the key & smartlock thing maybe something is worn and not completeing all the codes to start ..? But then it wouldn't crank over. If the bcm was faulty i wouldn't get it to crank over correct ?

TFI module ..hmm thought about that but thought these play up due to the heat when hot.

Understand there are relays for the ecu and fuel pump - i know the fuel is under the coolant tank ecu is ..?

might get a can of contact cleaner and pull every connection i can find and give everything a good dose cleaner.

should add rang ford the other day and they said it could be a fuel evaparation problem ! - god one boys never heard or read about that one before and they said it happens and there's no fix just happens .... surely ford didn't build 1/2 million cars that didn't start once you drove them out of the factory !!

keep u posted, can't do much in the rain and i need to rest the brain cell and have some think on it.

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:35 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EA Falcon

VIC, Australia

Yep, sounds like a tfi module for sure.
My EA never had a problem until recently, car was only at operating temp and would stall.
Would have to try to get it started and when I thought it was stuffed, it would start no problem.
Had just enough time to cool down while I was cranking it over.
Pulled the module off the dissy, put some fresh heat sink paste on it and it's run like a dream since.

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:58 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ford au11

VIC, Australia

have you looked at your fuel pressure regulator?

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:13 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

no not yet the regulator is at the end of the fuel rail , easy to take off and check. fuel pressure might be but this is non electonic so would be a problem when running all the time. worth a look though cheers. has had a new filter 2 wks ago.

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

SVG9 wrote:
Hi all, new to this website so bear with me & I'm a Kiwi...

just aquired a 99 XH XR6 Ute and seems to have previous histroy of randomly not starting...

ford and other people have had the head off and replaced the dizzy etc and thought they'd fixed it a year later same thing and others have pulled out the fuel pump and replaced that and thought it was fixed also.

now 2 years down the track with little K's on it seems i've inherited the same problem, i've thrown new plugs at it , a new coil thought this fixed it but no so after some reading and head scratching threw a map sensor and replaced the ecu.. went sweet for about week the decided not to start again - leave it for a few minutes and she starts ok.
have plenty of crank just seems something is missing or a signal is not being sent.
been reading on the bcm / smartlock if it's faulty would it still crank over ? just not supply fuel ?
running out of idea's .. my other gtp, xr8 & xf never gave such a headache. welcome to XR6 world..
thanks
roly

after you change all the eletronic modules,pumps, and spend more cash you can change the TFI module,as you said a history of not starting and its the weakest link

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:35 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

ok i'll price new tfi module & see what happens, might get a second hand one but could be the same issue all over again.

cheers for all the suggestions so far.

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

SVG9 wrote:
ok i'll price new tfi module & see what happens, might get a second hand one but could be the same issue all over again.

cheers for all the suggestions so far.

if you get the time,move the module off the distributor to a heat sink on the inner guard,be alot colder

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:00 am 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

hi does anyone know what sends the initial signal to prime the fuel pump at start up - ignition key turning over to start position or a signal from the key ? got funny suspiscion i don't get this when it starts now and then.

would a AU key barrel fit even EA thru to ED etc fit.

and the 3 relays under the coolant tank one is fuel pump the other 2 are ? i have 3 relays or fuses there.

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

SVG9 wrote:
hi does anyone know what sends the initial signal to prime the fuel pump at start up - ignition key turning over to start position or a signal from the key ? got funny suspiscion i don't get this when it starts now and then.

would a AU key barrel fit even EA thru to ED etc fit.

and the 3 relays under the coolant tank one is fuel pump the other 2 are ? i have 3 relays or fuses there.

ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/dead-ef-fuel-pump-or-relay-t86705.html?hilit=fuel relay

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:46 am 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

haven't touched it since last post but wondering if someone can tell exactly where i can locate the bem/bmc modules on my xh ute - seem to different stories floating around - above handbrake, lower rh foot well, up in the dash by the air vents... wouldn't mind a definite location for xh utes as i think the locations vary in the e-models ?
cheers

Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:10 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Above the accelerator pedal.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next