Fordmods Logo

xr6 falcons and the test of time 

Page 2 of 4 [ 55 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:15 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EA II S-Pac

VIC, Australia

Good question MrEB... Id like to see this one answered also !

It seems older engines, give them a good tinker with and a few cheap mods and they go heaps harder than they would have before. Doesnt seem to be so much the way anymore....

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

steele87 wrote:
Good question MrEB... Id like to see this one answered also !

It seems older engines, give them a good tinker with and a few cheap mods and they go heaps harder than they would have before. Doesnt seem to be so much the way anymore....

just the age and design thing i guess will ee what others with more technical know how say but as cars have progressed falcons and commowhore they seem to be moving further and further away from being that moddable internally straight off the floor..dont see many stroked BA xr8s

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

mreb wrote:
it might be a dumb question but why cant we get these power levels out of these engines is it because of the design or pollution control because the chrysler and ford had big engines i cant see why the ford 6 cant get as much as the chrysler and dont bag me for this question im just asking.

The old Chargers had Italian triple carbs for one, extractors, great head design and rev out to about 6500rpm. The Falcon 6 of the time had a single throat carb, s**t head, log manifold and would max out at 4000rpm, plus the fact the 4.1 is over square and could never make power much above 5500rpm.

Im sure you could make a late model Falcon 6 produce as much Hp as an old Chrysler Hemi 6.
For about $5000 you can get a kit from Nizpro to make your N/A BA 6cyl produce 200rwkw, which is about 275kw at the engine.

1993 ED XR6 5speed Polynesian Green. Project car.

1998 EL XR8 Auto Hot Chilli Red. New daily and project

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon 95

VIC, Australia

one word, HEMI. hemispherical shaped combustion chambers. Look it up on the internet and find out the differences to a normal combustion chamber, very good design. Why do u think 4 second top fuel dragsters pushing well up into 8000+ HP use Keith black HEMI motors?

the 1969 dodge charger R/T with a hemi and twin 4 barrels were pushing 300kw back in the day, 425bhp.

as far as i know, the hemi 6 isnt a true hemi, but very very close to.

Cougar Zero makes my pants fit nice.

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:16 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

i think too that cars have gotten alot heavier, so while a stock BA puts out more power than older cars, its heavier too

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Why don't more manufacturers use the Hemi design?
By the way Sturmovik, thee tripple carbs arn't really a major thing in the old chargers, you'll find lots of the onld Hemi 6's getting awsome amounts of poweer on signle carbs! But the tripple carb set ups are still selling second hand for $1,500 to $2,000, and $3,000 new!

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:46 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 1 images

VIC, Australia

what about the rarer ed and ef wagon xr's, do you think that they mite become more sort after?

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB2

VIC, Australia

my parents used to have a valiat regal sedan with a slant 6 in it we used to have to clean the spark plugs everyweek cause of oil but it used to blow away a brand new xe injected 6 and it was stock 2 barrel carbie and exhuast.

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:57 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

EDXRSW wrote:
what about the rarer ed and ef wagon xr's, do you think that they mite become more sort after?

Probably never in the broader market, but with Ford enthusiasts yes.
Similar story with my Sprint.
Very much sought after by people that know there Fords, but park it down the street, and people think 'pffft, ED'
Not that I ever park it near other cars, I get too scared of people opening a door into it.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA MKII XR8

VIC, Australia

Good question. Take the XA-XC coupe's for example, back in their day, they were, apparently, not hugely appreciated or sought after and if you had of asked the same question about those vehicles back then, you would have got a negative response. Now look at 'em. Everyone wants one 'cause they are sex on wheels.
In the XR6's case, I reckon it'll be looked at in a similar way to the straight six Chryslers. The eights will be king (even though they are slower and arguably not as good as the sixes) and get all the attention, but the sixes will be given the nod of approval. Look at it this way, can you really dismiss a six cylinder that is capable of eating it's eight cylinder foes?
Remeber, that while the XR6 (EB-AU) is not as quick as an E49, neither is an XR8 or SS from the same era.....

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

I can see the BA XR6T gaining the sort of status that a VL Turbo or R32/R33 Skyline has today. Not so sure if the BF will pull the same trick even though it's a better car - people tend to remember the first of the line. Everyone knows who the first man on the moon was, but not so many know who was second.

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

EDXRSW wrote:

No alot of peoplle don't relise that they are rarer, and a lot of peoplle don't look for wagons in there sports cars...

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon 95

VIC, Australia

Quote:
Remeber, that while the XR6 (EB-AU) is not as quick as an E49, neither is an XR8 or SS from the same era.....

i've just realised, funny i think, if u can get an E49 into 13's, its on par with the SS's and XR8's of this era as well!

Cougar Zero makes my pants fit nice.

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:35 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

mrnasty wrote:
Quote:

i've just realised, funny i think, if u can get an E49 into 13's, its on par with the SS's and XR8's of this era as well!

On par in straightline performance.. yes.
Corners.. mebbe not.
Comfort.. Hmmm, no again.
Safety.. cough, safety, cough... but no.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Post subject: Re: xr6 falcons and the test of time
Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

nathen wrote:
be as desirable as the torana,monaros,chargers and mighty gt?

Those cars you listed are desirable not only for performance but because of their low build numbers. The XR6 is being built in far larger quantities and I can't see a car as common as the XR6 is, ever being desired in the same fashion.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next