Fordmods Logo

xr6 falcons and the test of time 

Page 3 of 4 [ 55 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon 95

VIC, Australia

you make a valid point steadyED.... more to a car than performance :D sometimes! i never thought about all that other stuff! still got a big cool factor though

Cougar Zero makes my pants fit nice.

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Its only really BA where the XR6 has been built in large numbers, it and the XR8 account for 30% of Falcons sold.
They sell more BF XR6s in a month than ED XR6s were built during a whole year!
Only ~900 '93 XR6s were built, 300 odd were manual.

ED XR8s are even rarer, something like 80 manuals during '93 were built?

Approx 150 ED XR6 Wagons were built, and not many more EF XR6 Wagons.

BA and BF XR6s are now too mainstream, and wont be any more desirable than a Futura or Fairmont IMO. The Turbo on the other hand...

1993 ED XR6 5speed Polynesian Green. Project car.

1998 EL XR8 Auto Hot Chilli Red. New daily and project

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

i think they will...considering p platers not being able to drive turbo and v8 cars

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

Car is onyl worth what someone it willing to pay for it; that being said I feel its only the younger gen. which will go for them for the above P plater reason, people with Full License and who can afford a little more will notice the "value for money" in newer depreciated cars available today alone not to mention in the next 5-10years.
That being said, the old cars still have a market, and its mostly car enthusiasts who know the heritage and the appeal to own something more unique and roar if you know what I mean.

For people who dont want to have 2 cars, one for weekday and one for weekend driving, i think they will def. stick to the newer models n forget about the older sort after monsters of yester'year like many of us have now not owning cars pre 1990ish..(huge generalisation i know, but im being stereo typical here lol)

Oh, and on the note, gimme a 2006 Chrysler 300C SRT-8 ANY DAY!
New car design, muscle car tradition, unique styling and how many have you seen driving around?
Cant wait for them to possibly bring it over from the US this year.

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA MKII XR8

VIC, Australia

Good call on the 300C Daniel. They look hot in the magazines and even hotter on the roads. A while back, Ford showed a prototype of a car called the 427 and Motor magazine suggested that it may be the basis for the next all new Ford Falcon. Design a different set of lights for it and I reckon they are onto a winner. The link below is a picture of the 427:

http://www.autotrend.com/Ford_427.html

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

mrnasty wrote:
Quote:
Remeber, that while the XR6 (EB-AU) is not as quick as an E49, neither is an XR8 or SS from the same era.....

i've just realised, funny i think, if u can get an E49 into 13's, its on par with the SS's and XR8's of this era as well!

Wheels from November 1972 quote the Chrysler Charger R/T e49 (an N/A I6) at 14.4 on the 0 - 400m. Wheels December 2004 quote the first of the Ford BA Typhoons at running 14.6 in there tests! The Chrysler 6's are bloody amazing.

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
mrnasty wrote:
Quote:
Remeber, that while the XR6 (EB-AU) is not as quick as an E49, neither is an XR8 or SS from the same era.....

i've just realised, funny i think, if u can get an E49 into 13's, its on par with the SS's and XR8's of this era as well!

On par in straightline performance.. yes.
Corners.. mebbe not.
Comfort.. Hmmm, no again.
Safety.. cough, safety, cough... but no.

The biggest problem with the old Valiants and that is they don't stop very well at all! All that go and sweet FA stopping power. Handling isn't too flash either. Comfort isn't that bad in my opinion. I was as comfortable sitting in the middle of mates VJ valiant front bench seat (3 of us) as I was sitting in the middle of the bench seat in the NEW BA Falcon work ute! The rest isn't up on par with the new cars, but considering the age difference not bad.
As for safety, ever been in a crash in an old can, old Holden, Ford, Valiant, take your pick, there not plastic, they don't do too bad for themselves!

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:40 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

The thing is the car itself would need to have significant history attached, the issue with that is that what is in current circulation around our racetracks is so far removed from what is on the showroom floor that the history of the average car pails into insignificants. What car that is on the showroom floor and avalible to the general public is a mass produced vahicle with no real individual charms.. take an old E-Type for example.. actually take the 1st E-Type delivered to australia, I personally know the car, it was sold recently for HUGE dollars. why bacause it had significant history.. now take the 35th australian Delivered E-Type. how much did it sell for? who cares.

Take the 154th delivered MkII Jag. sold for a BIG amount as well. why? it was the car Bob Jane raced for a few years. the 155th delivered who cares.

the issue is that what is being released to the general public is of no long term significant value and the car is nothing more than a numbers game.

But if you could get it. The SBR Marcos Ambrose Falcon.. what would you pay? who would pay more? your not buying the car, cause they can pump out another one in 2 weeks, your buying the history attached..

where am I going with this..

I think that in the future the Tickford range while it may not grab big dollars will remain a cult style car, much like MG's and Minis and that sort of stuff. why?
cause for their time there were giant killers, a pure unmodified one well kept will be worth something..

my reasoning for this is, an example the mini cooper S.

there were many different variants of the mini, can't be stuffed listing them, but everyone knows the Mini Cooper S was the giant killer.. it had a little engine 1375cc, handled like a cat on carpet, lifted the inside rear tyre on almost every turn. only a Cooper S had these charateristics, sure it could be replicated by modifying other mini models but this was its pure behaviour. now look at the EF XR6 Falcon. there is no denying they are popular, insurance companies acnowledge this as well.. www.NRMA.com.au list on their estimates all models of falcons PLUS an XR6 replica. 10 years from production and replicas are already being produced.. however a VT commodore with a bodykit is only recognised as a vt commodore witha bodykit... interesting.

just my five cents worth.. everyone has an opinion I'm sure.. but I can see that todays cars as with cars of yesterday will only have significants based on the model variant.

example a pacer with a slant 265 or a slant 225..
while the 265 its the ducks guts the 225 is overlooked in every way cause the engine and rest of the car was a POS.
one exception to the rule..

Leyland P76. never quite figured that one out. uggh

I have a car.

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon 95

VIC, Australia

Quote:
Wheels from November 1972 quote the Chrysler Charger R/T e49 (an N/A I6) at 14.4 on the 0 - 400m. Wheels December 2004 quote the first of the Ford BA Typhoons at running 14.6 in there tests! The Chrysler 6's are bloody amazing.

cant remember where I read it, but with a good set of tyres, and a light tune 1 bloke pushed an E49 down to 13.9 seconds.

Cougar Zero makes my pants fit nice.

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

"GT"

Is a muscle car already.

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

"F6 Typhhon"

Is quicker than a GT. Would you consider the F6 to be a better, more desirable muscle car???

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

You probably would if I had of spelt Typhoon properly.....

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

lol thats funny, but i think one day all straight petrol performance cars will become collectables.

everyone will be driving electric or what ever cars and the small amound of oil left will be for the classics like the xr6 or xr8 or what ever.

like i mean im 22 now and when im 60 ill think back into the days when i had my ef xr6 and go dam i wanna re live that dream and i might go off and find one and restor it.

same thing right ?

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

BNKRBR wrote:
lol thats funny, but i think one day all straight petrol performance cars will become collectables.

everyone will be driving electric or what ever cars and the small amound of oil left will be for the classics like the xr6 or xr8 or what ever.

like i mean im 22 now and when im 60 ill think back into the days when i had my ef xr6 and go dam i wanna re live that dream and i might go off and find one and restor it.

same thing right ?

thats pretty much it right there.....

My dad used to have an XY when he was my age.
never did he ever think an XY was ever going to be a collectable. yet what do we see every day. the XY be it an GTHO or not is desirable car.

in 40 odd years time the XRs and E series GTs are going to have the same effect on us as the XW and XYs have on the older generation now.

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Soarer 2.5GT-T

VIC, Australia

There are plenty of reasons ->

- Cars are manufactured to be safer now, so as a rule they're heavier due to many other fearures in the cars

- Restricted by laws so even though they could be made quicker the government would ban them if they got too fast.

- Inflation is a b**ch. Cars are too expensive in their current unengineered form.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next