xr6 head 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: xr6 head
Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 05 XR6 Mk II Falcon Ute

NSW, Australia

wanting to change my head gasket just wanted to know if its worth putting an xr6 head on, what will it do, how much to get one etc all info would be greatly appreciated....

EL Futura 5 speed factory:PH47FL goneeeee :(
04 BA XR6 Mk II Sedan: XR67OY gonneee..
2010 250R ninja: gooneeee.
BF 2007 F6 typhoon:F6FOON gonnnee.
05 BA XR6 Mk II Ute: latest

Post subject: Re: xr6 head
Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

if you can find a rebuilt one for a reasonable price, yeah why not.

however if its a bit of money your going to throw around take the head off and get a port and polish while your getting it shaved

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Yeah id get one if you can get one cheap enough in good condition. It'll have larger exhaust valves and uprated valve springs so it should flow a little better and have stiffer valve springs suitable for bigger cams.

As fiftyone siad though, if you get one, get it reco'd, crack/pressure tested if you wanna be safe, get it shaved, quick port polish or just deburr ports depending on how much you wanna spend then when you do the headgasket just swap it over.

It all depends if you can find one for a good price, i dont know how they are priced over in Oz, im guessing it'll set you back a few hundred depending who you buy from

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: VY Commodore Wagon Accli

VIC, Australia

I would only get an XR6 Head if a good one came your way and it's cheap, otherwise if your wanting to have the head ported, then just reco your current head and port that head. Otherwise your only just getting one that has the T logo on it, lol, unless your after the looks on it?

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Successful Trades with: John_XR6 (John_LS1), Private9, Schmee, Manari, Kyle_Bardell, Greenhorn (Boostedfalcon.net), FTG AUTO SALVAGE, EVL098, Gogetta, EFIII, Krytox, Blue, Smik-EL, TP351.

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:47 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF XR6

QLD, Australia

The head at the right price is a good idea but don't expect much from it alone. To really make it work like it does on the tickford models you need the tickford ECU, cam and fuel pressure reg as well.

EF XR6 Manual 271RWHP/199RWKW N/A using Stock manifold with dual plane runners still operating. EFI Hardware 6TBM to come mid year.

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

xr6eat 50 wrote:
The head at the right price is a good idea but don't expect much from it alone. To really make it work like it does on the tickford models you need the tickford ECU, cam and fuel pressure reg as well.

That's a few other things I forgot to mention as well.

As XR6eat 50 rightfully mentioned, to get the most potential out of the head, you need the Tickford ECU, the Fuel Pressure Reg, and you could ditch the XR6 Cam for a Wade profile of some sort. But for all it's worth, you might as well port the head you have now and add the Tickford Fuel Reg and the Tickford ECU, unless you really really really want the Tickford logo on the head along with the Tickford Rocker Cover.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Successful Trades with: John_XR6 (John_LS1), Private9, Schmee, Manari, Kyle_Bardell, Greenhorn (Boostedfalcon.net), FTG AUTO SALVAGE, EVL098, Gogetta, EFIII, Krytox, Blue, Smik-EL, TP351.

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

well someone should tell all the fellas running worked heads on stock ECU that it hasnt done anything power wise.....

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
well someone should tell all the fellas running worked heads on stock ECU that it hasnt done anything power wise.....

Lol, well if it was me I'd personally be changing the ECU, Tickford if it's been worked, but if the engines been worked a fair bit I'd be looking at an Aftermarket ECU Such as Haltec where you can ultimatly adjust the tune via a laptop to get the best out of the engine, that's what I would do, maybe not so for everyone else.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:56 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:

That is a prety rediculus statement. Of course it makes a difference to have a ported head. The standard ecu has a less agressive tune in it, and the standard reg has a lower fuel pressure so these things combined will help improve performance again. If you want to make statements make them constructive and helpfull to someoone! I guarentee any car that is running a stock ecu will spin up more power with a quality aftermarket ecu or chip in it.

EF XR6 Manual 271RWHP/199RWKW N/A using Stock manifold with dual plane runners still operating. EFI Hardware 6TBM to come mid year.

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Boxcar Love

QLD, Australia

personally i think ditch the XR head idea. How much can you get one for these days? And possibly having to fit atleast new seals anyway?

I recently did my engine up a bit. I was thinking XR head, but the guy who does my engine machining said forget it he'll do one better, he worked my head with very simple mods that was cheap, and as follows: (just talking work done to the head itself)

- EF 94ab head
- Ports opened up a bit, casting marks all smoothed up
- 3 angle valve grind (just for better sealing)
- Combustion chamber shape modified a bit
- Shaved to give a compression of 9.9:1 including AU gasket

Thats it, and with new guides and seal, he did all that for $300, and it outperforms an XR head completly.

IMO, its much better value for money to go that way, as the performance over the XR head is second to none.

Commodore australia's favorite car??? What a load of s**t

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

edit: ok im jumping the gun here.... xre6250's, your right on a couple points, but im looking more into it than just him stopping all the mods at an XR6 head.

so yes, fitting an XR head with stock everything else you wont notice much, but i find it funny everytime someone mentions fitting a 300kpa reg like its a standard upgrade to a n/a falcon... thats hardly constructive....

are you aware that falcons can run rich as s**t even at 160rwkw on stock reg & injectors?

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:28 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

I am aware of alot of things! If a falcon is running rich and it has 160rwkw it needs a tune, or the person who tuned it needs to do a better job of it. I had 160rwkw and mine ran straight in the centre of the a/f meter. Quality tune! From memory your car was tuned by the same person anyway. So is yours the marrone Fairmont i always see around.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]