Fordmods Logo

XR6 mark 2 break problems and transmission change 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: XR6 mark 2 break problems and transmission change
Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XR6 BA mark 2

VIC, Australia

two things, at the moment i have a BA XR6 mark 2. Its done about 160,000km and i had no problems with it until around 150,000km. It began to wobble/shake when i had to break some-what fast. The problem got worse and worse, it go to a point where when i applied the breaks even gently for a normal break at the lights it would shake ect. so i took it in to get it serviced. when i got it back it was all good... for about 2500km.. now when i drive on the highway (100kph) for the first 10 minutes, without using the breaks at all, its wobbles to a point where i have to pull over as the steering wheel moves a bit and it feels like a wheel has come loose. after 10 minutes it drives fine. Its only the front wheels. the mechanics i take it to just keep replacing the break pads which is obviously useless. Could it be the actual discs?

I also wish to change the transmission from Auto to Manual, has anyone done it? and if so, how much did it cost?

Post subject: Re: XR6 mark 2 break problems and transmission change
Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: EL F100 CAPRI XR EF

Power: 234 rwkw

SA, Australia

has anyone checked the front hub bearings on it yet?

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA MK11

VIC, Australia

Have the ball joints checked-they were/are a problem on the Terrys.

The older I get the better I was!

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:08 pm 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

Interesting to know what your problem is. My BA did the same thing last week on a long drive and a few weeks earlier coming back on the freeway. I ended up putting a new set of tyres on the car because i knew one of the front ones were a bit flatspotted and unbalanced anyway (tyre defect). The incident has not re occured yet but saying that we only changed the tyres on Monday and i have not driven the car all week. The mrs has been and not on freeways.
I changed the rotors a couple of months ago and checked the hubs whilst i was at it but did not notice any obvious signs of wear or odd noise so its a bit of a mystery. The ball joints were also checked on monday and were ok. Hopefully the tyres were an issue.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

kwaussiekid wrote:
Have the ball joints checked-they were/are a problem on the Terrys.

Territory id\s a different setup to BA.
Couragewolf wrote:
two things, at the moment i have a BA XR6 mark 2. Its done about 160,000km and i had no problems with it until around 150,000km. It began to wobble/shake when i had to break some-what fast. The problem got worse and worse, it go to a point where when i applied the breaks even gently for a normal break at the lights it would shake ect. so i took it in to get it serviced. when i got it back it was all good... for about 2500km.. now when i drive on the highway (100kph) for the first 10 minutes, without using the breaks at all, its wobbles to a point where i have to pull over as the steering wheel moves a bit and it feels like a wheel has come loose. after 10 minutes it drives fine. Its only the front wheels. the mechanics i take it to just keep replacing the break pads which is obviously useless. Could it be the actual discs?

I also wish to change the transmission from Auto to Manual, has anyone done it? and if so, how much did it cost?
Yes, It's been done. Don't expect change from $3k at least.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

did the mechanics skim the rotor disc before fitting the new pads???

Also jack one of the wheels up and see if you can move it a bit. While moving the tyre(left, right---up,down) have someone look at the lower ball joints etc for movement..........

I had a similar problem on my El fairmont at 150000km(6months ago) and it was the lower ball joints..... I just removed the steering knuckle and took it down to the local mechanics(with a new set off upper/lower ball joints) and they grinded/bashed out the old ones and pressed the new ones in. After refitting the knuckles I got a wheel alignment done...

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:03 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

mmk thanks for all the suggestions, im taking it in within a few weeks and ill ask if they can look into what you all suggested.

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:45 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ED Fairmont

NSW, Australia

If it shudders threw the steering while driving its the wheel balance. If it shudders threw the steering under braking, your front rotors need to be machined.

Perhaps when the mechanics have played around with it they've left the bolts loose on the steering arm??

I could imagine changing from auto to manual would be a rather costly exercise.

Myspace - www.myspace.com/theboss_290gt

MSN - theboss_290gt@hotmail.com

- Add me

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

It sounds like brake shudder. I'd say you need your discs replaced, changing pads without replacing discs will just wear the next new set even faster and not remove the cause of your problem. (or even see if you can get away with machining your discs and even skimming them like the others said)

Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:51 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

It'll tell you on your invoice what they tried to resolve your problem.
Disc's may of needed to be cut twice but couldnt at the risk of going undersize (26mm).

Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:18 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

ok, I took it in for a service and it was pretty messed up. Just letting you know what was wrong with it if anyone else has a similar problem but given what was wrong with it, i doubt you would.
It had three buckled wheels, which lead to disc distortion and bad wheel alignment.
Needed new wheels, new pads, breaks machined and wheels re-aligned.
Not sure how the wheels got buckled as I have never hit a gutter or pot hole hard and i drive quite sensibly.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]