Fordmods Logo

XR6 plugs ? Found some technical drawings of the plug. 

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

pitty in the second picture, they are comparing the Tickford plug to the BRE527Y-11 - which is not the Standard EF/EL plug!

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:19 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
pitty in the second picture, they are comparing the Tickford plug to the BRE527Y-11 - which is not the Standard EF/EL plug!

Here we go, found an EA spark plug in the shed, the longer spark plug is the BRE527Y-11 and the shorter plug is the BPR5EY-11(EF/EL standard plug.

From the pics you can see the XR6 plug (same length as the BRE527Y-11) is a fair bit longer, thus probably further in the combustion chamber and hence a better and more efficient BANG.

Last edited by falcon4litreOHC on Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

But then with the NGK Iridium equivalents of the NGK Tickford plugs they go back to standard length... Figure that...

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:48 am 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
But then with the NGK Iridium equivalents of the NGK Tickford plugs they go back to standard length... Figure that...

Could be a bit of a conspiracy theory here?

All i know is it looks like alot of more money and research went into the NGK XR6 plugs. Thus they will be going into my cyclinder head sometime this weekend.

From all of the research i have done, it's a win win situation i reckon. Will also be adjusting the timing to about 4 degrees advanced. The colder plugs will compensate with the small amount of heat rise in the combustion chamber with this small amount of advance (read it on a performance site).

wonder if the magical 1-4rwkw that JMM describes is possible with these $22 NGK plugs. Would be a cheap and effective mode if we can dyno prove the results on EF AND EL cars.............

I don't think EA-ED owners would benefit as much because the plug length protruding into the head remains the same............

CHEERS.....................

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

falcon4litreOHC wrote:
All i know is it looks like alot of more money and research went into the NGK XR6 plugs. Thus they will be going into my cyclinder head sometime this weekend.

I don't think so - or not by NGK anyways... As far as I know Ford don't use NGK as an OEM supplier, they use Motorcraft. And from the factory the Tickford enhanced 6's came with a different set of spark plugs. So NGK just got ahold of one of these already made and developed plugs and copied it.

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

See with the Iridium plugs NGK recomend the same plug for both applications except 1 heat range different:
BPR5EY-11 to BPR5EIX-11
ZGR6B-11 to BPR6EIX-11
So in this case there saying to use the exact same physical size plug and all that queer.

When I changed from ZGR6B-11 to BPR6EIX-11 I noticed nothing.

Also have you looked into using the BA XR6T Iridium plugs?

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

Its a plug, no noticable gain will be had, and if you do, its in your head, heat ranges are different, i believe that it will stuff up quicker, due to the incorrect heat range.

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:49 am 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

bowsaw wrote:
Its a plug, no noticable gain will be had, and if you do, its in your head, heat ranges are different, i believe that it will stuff up quicker, due to the incorrect heat range.

not if your running advance timing, extra heat will be created, so will match correctly..........................

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

falcon4litreOHC wrote:
bowsaw wrote:

not if your running advance timing, extra heat will be created, so will match correctly..........................

bit more to combustion temps than that but that's one of them....

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

falcon4litreOHC wrote:
bowsaw wrote:

Fair enough, but it is worth the gain? a lot of rooting around for not much , IMHO

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2