Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: XR6 VCT Breathing Mods
Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

I have bought an AU2 XR6 VCT, and am planning my mods. It is a sweet, smooth, classy ride, and I want to keep it that way, but I want more go :D I want to keep it factory-looking and reasonably quiet, and won't be opening the engine, so am looking mostly at breathing. And I have a limited budget to do this. But I need your collective advice on what will work and what works best.

On the intake side, I'm planning:
- AU XR8 snorkel
- BA/BF XR8/F6 lower snorkel (will this fit an AU?)
- high flow panel filter (currently have a Simota, looking at an ITG 3-stage foam)
- custom bell-mouthed 75mm airbox exit and joiner tube (another option is a 3A Racing pod filter in the airbox)
- BA/BF induction tube, or ideally Territory induction tube (will it fit under an AU XR6 bonnet?)

On the exhaust side, I'm looking at:
- Coby headers (these have long secondaries that eliminate the cat - legal in NZ)
- cat-back 2.5" mandrel-bent sports exhaust with XR8 twin-tip (limited options in NZ, so may import one from Oz; am looking for a quiet-ish but deep note in normal driving, but loud-ish at WOT is OK)

Then I would get it all working together with a TI Performance custom-tuned J3 chip for 98-octane.

What do you think? Thanks for your help.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Post subject: Re: XR6 VCT Breathing Mods
Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I have an AU XR6 but just HP, I added the BA Turbo (same as V8) Front air Tube and the BA inlet from Throttle Body to Air cleaner but, the BA Air cleaner assy does NOT fit straight in to an AU, you would need to modify the front inner apron to make it fit also, that front lower intake will not fit into your AU as there is not enough distance between the Air Cleaner and the front of the car.

Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

i tried fitting the BA intake tube, but didnt like the angle it went into the airbox as it fouled on the aircon hose.

Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Thanks for that.

Has anyone tried to fit a Territory intake tube (throttle body end) under an AU XR bonnet?

If the BA XR8/F6 lower snorkel is too long, can it be cut down to fit? Is there even an appropriate opening in the radiator support for the snorkel to draw air from?

Thanks.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

forget the lower snorkel

fit the XR6T one thats on ebay, also have a look at the plate of tin that directs air up to the snorkel, or make your own

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/X-L-Ford-BA-AU-B ... 336238bfa0

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

I have a line on an XR8 Tickford snorkel; just working out the price. Will that flow enough air?

Also have an AU aluminium 'scoop' left over from the SS Inductions Bigmouth I fitted to my EF, so will bolt that onto the VCT.

Still concerned that the BA/BF or Territory induction tube will not fit under the low AU XR bonnet where it passes over the intake manifold. Has anyone tried it?

I will be making a custom airbox exit (from 75mm PVC), so can adjust the fit as required.

Thanks

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]