Fordmods Logo

10"speakers on an ef parcel shelf 

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: 10"speakers on an ef parcel shelf
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:36 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Hi guys like the title says i was thinking of buying something like this for my rear parcel shelf

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/25 ... index.html

Reason being i already have the lpg in the boot and i don't want to lose any more space from it.

I currently have 6x9's sitting in there but want something witha bit more power and bass and from what i've read these are designed specifically for that purpose.

All your opinions and advice are appreciated.

Cheers,

Pat

"You only need 2 tools, WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesnt move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and it shouldnt, use the duct tape!"

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:01 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Okay here is my opinion and advice...but before you move on, please ignore these opinions and advice if you just want to fit one of them into the existing 8" subwoofer hole (assuming your car is an EF according to your nickname and has a subwoofer hole). If you plan on replacing the 6x9s with the 10" speakers...read on.

Firstly, I don't think they sell that model in Australia, but if you happen to get them off ebay and shipped over you got that part covered.

Secondly, you won't be able to fit the 10" speakers in the back shelf. Even if you tried with a custom made parcel shelf, I believe you won't be able to make it fit since the magnet will most likely be too big to even fit through the 6" hole on the metal shelf.

Thirdly, if you plan on making them fit by cutting the rear metal parcel shelf, be prepared to produce a engineering certificate for a RWC if you were ever planning on selling it or passing it to someone else etc.

I believe the 6x9s give enough bass if you don't want too much, but if you want that extra bit of oomph, try chasing up an 8" sub and just fit it to the existing 8" sub hole and find a cheapish amp to run it with.

I myself have 8" speakers in the rear.

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/25 ... index.html

that's the model I have which was bought in Germany by my cousin and brought over by him when he came over to visit. So I got free delivery to the door :D.

Lucky for me, the magnet just made it through the 6" hole in the metal shelf. So I had to make a custom parcel shelf out of MDF and what ever I had lying around to fit the speakers. In the end they just fit with a clearance of about 1mm between the rear windscreen and the plastic surround. Very tight fit.

Hopefully that helps you. Sorry if I have some how offended you.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF wagoon

WA, Australia

I have LPG and I have a pioneer shallow 8" sub with a spacer in the middle of the parcel shelf. It works way better than the original and still sits under the shelf carpet. this might be an easier and cheaper way to get more base.

here is a link to their site.
http://www.pioneer.com.au/products/car_ ... index.html
model is TS-SW841D

cheers

EF GLi Wagoon
Grandpa Spec

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

He's talkin bout speakers not a sub.
If you want to make them fit then you will have to cut your parcel shelf up, which is illegal btw, and make up custom spacers for them, as I'm sure you dont really want to cut 2 10" holes when you can get away with smaller holes.
I assume its already been cut for the sikbyninez unless they have a spacer.

Also are you running them off an amp or from the hu?
unless you have an amp they'll be a waste. You really should have the 6x9s amped if you want more punch or bass from them as well.

heres what i'd do though, seeing as you have lpg, get a 10" free air sub and put it in the middle of the parcel shelf, where its meant to go. amp that, and see how you go. if its not enough bass 2 speakers really wont help much. you could try an invisibass or qmax sub n box too, theyre quite good.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Or look at the JayCar amp/sub kits for utes - they'd probably fit under the front seat.

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
Or look at the JayCar amp/sub kits for utes - they'd probably fit under the front seat.

thats what invisibass and qmax are, but far better than jaycar quality.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

I have a set of these speakers and you have little chance of fitting them to a EF/EL rear shelf.

Member Number 8804

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:47 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Hey guys cheers for all your advice, i'm just curious though i have an ef fairmont and i have the original 10" sub but when i bought the car it was in the boot and i'm not sure where the hole is meant to be in the parcel shelf...

If someone has a picture it would be really handy because a 10" free to air would be perfect for what i'm going for.

"You only need 2 tools, WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesnt move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and it shouldnt, use the duct tape!"

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

You can see the hole above your gas tank, or pull the back seats forward :)

Seriously, get a secondhand 12inch sub in a box off ebay, cheap as s**t and seriously, who ever has their boot full, as in full-full-full..

Really, a gas tank, a single sub in a box will leave you enough room for big bag of clothes, tent and pillow, then you have the back seats..

Just means you wont be asked to tow 4 of your mates around with all their gear :)

Its alot more practical getting a box, i got a 90L gas tank into my boot, 3x 12inch pioneer subs and still could fit stuff in there :)

Lose the 10inch free air idea mate, its a waste of time.
Matt

it can be fast and cheap,but it wont be reliable
it can be reliable and cheap,but it wont be fast
or you can be fast and reliable,but it wont be cheap

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Heres a pic of mine, not much but its something
hate having a lpg tank

Attachments:
20080206_180227.jpg
20080206_180227.jpg [ 316.67 KiB | Viewed 233 times ]
20080206_180133.jpg
20080206_180133.jpg [ 171 KiB | Viewed 295 times ]

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:54 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Thanks gain for the help guys especially benjameshawkins for the pics...

Gasman there's no way i'd be using the boot space for subs as i use all the space i have fr road trips with mates as we take my car.

The 10inch free to air seems like the only possible choice atm, so i've spotted the space for the sub (cheers gasman) I only had a quick glance with the back seats down but it looks like the carpert on the parcel shelf covers the spacehow would i go about installing the sub?

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

why is everyone going on about a factory 10" sub?

The factory hole in the parcel shelf is for an 8" sub. If you want to fit a 10" sub then you need to make a spacer and cut a big hole in the carpet so it sticks out.

Or you can bolt the 10" from underneath the hole like i did

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:22 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

So now i'm just getting more confused, what size sub originally came mounted in the ef fairmont ghia?

I want to mount a free to air sub that isn't overly obvious preferrably underneath the carpet like fordfairmonts... is this possible with a gas set up in the boot?

Surely it can't be that difficult if the factory system came with it

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: fairmont

QLD, Australia

original size is 8 inch....

Now i have a EF XR8 5spd.........mmmmmm 5L

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF wagoon

WA, Australia

ef_paddy wrote:
So now i'm just getting more confused, what size sub originally came mounted in the ef fairmont ghia?

I want to mount a free to air sub that isn't overly obvious preferrably underneath the carpet like fordfairmonts... is this possible with a gas set up in the boot?

Surely it can't be that difficult if the factory system came with it

here is a picture of my 8" inch shallow sub. i have a gas tank under the shelf. all i needed was a spacer (i used the grill surround from the factory sub) and alls good.

i can't get the picture to attach. pm me your email and i will send it to you.

EF GLi Wagoon
Grandpa Spec

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next